mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Difference Between Nightrain and Black Betty

Looks like I might be getting a replacment for my nightrain frame that I have cracked. Anyone know what the difference is between the framesets? The black betty looks the same as the frame I have. It does look like they recently changed the nightrain/thunderbird frame. I am just curious, I think it's funny how a lot of these companies dont go into to much detail on the specs/geometry of their bikes on their websites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spxoo
    . . . I think it's funny how a lot of these companies dont go into to much detail on the specs/geometry of their bikes on their websites.
    yeah, i agree. i think the attitude is that if they just have one version or one size then they want to act like it's a one-size-fits-all situation. contrast that with the Transition website though, and they have excellent comparisons between their geo's. also, they would prefer that customers base choices on company image and price, and not millimeters and angles.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_TOP.cfm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So for anyone interested the black betty showed up today and it is different than any other eastern frame I have seen, and is absolutly different from what they picture on their website!!! hahaha. The top tube is 1/4" longer and the chainstays differ from my nightrain (where the old frame broke), the headtube feels a little steeper which makes the front end a little higher. Now that I have it built up it rides very nice.

If you end up with one of these choose a narrow tire. I had a really hard time setting it up with my microknobby 2.25, which I always thought was kind of skinny. With my tire I can only get the back half or so of the dropouts so I had to experiment for hours to find a drive train that worked. fourtenetly I upgraded the wheel on my bike to one that uses a SS cassette and normal cogs, with the stock nighttrain driver wheel I would have been soooo screwed.

The eastern bikes have a geometry which are fun to ride, but they are a 20" company and must just outsource these bikes from some other company/factory, these mtb frames just dont seem very well thought out. Instead of dumping $$ into this new frame I kind of wish I used this as an oppoutunity to get away from these frames and all of their BMX "technology" after all I am a mountain biker. A friend of mine just got a new Santa Cruz Jackal and that thing is sick and it has the super small geometry kind of like the easterns, I wish I threw down on one of those!

Members who have read this thread: 0