Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443

    Cranks, bmx style compact chainrings

    Talk to me about cranks. I'm building up a singlespeed steel hardtail w/ 26" wheels for dj / urban / long distance skidding / occasional fr trails in the winter / etc. I have pretty much all the parts I need for the build except for the drivetrain.

    I am thinking I should go with a set of BMX style cranks for durability and the option to run a chainring smaller than 32t. However, I am really happy with my Saints, and they are being sold at blowout prices lately so I could always pick up another set.

    Profiles are kind of expensive, especially for euro BB. Are they just sticking it to the MTBers or what? What about these other cranks? Any brands I should avoid? I want something durable.

    Eastern 720
    http://www.danscomp.com/451025.php?cat=PARTS

    FSA Nasty Boy
    http://www.danscomp.com/451029.php?cat=PARTS

    Gearing... 34:16 felt good on previous bikes, that comes up to 56.1 gear inches.

    30:14 = 56.6 gear inches, sounds about right. Any recommendations on chainrings to use or avoid?

    THANKS!

  2. #2
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    The Nasty Boys are pretty nice. I cracked my Profiles. Not saying that they're a bad product (they probably cracked because of missed grinds).

    Tree chainwheels are awesome. I like the Animal Lite V2s as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    412
    i have the nasty boys on my dj/street bike and love them....had hussefelts on there before and the nasty boys are SO much stiffer...they get my vote

  4. #4
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287
    I love the micro drive setup I run, I use Deity but they are not cheep eather, A friend uses the FSA nad has no issues. I run a 25 / 14 and I have an 11 also, depends on the place I am at.

    I use the animal lite and it works well

  5. #5
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    I love the micro drive setup I run, I use Deity but they are not cheep eather, A friend uses the FSA nad has no issues. I run a 25 / 14 and I have an 11 also, depends on the place I am at.

    I use the animal lite and it works well
    What size wheels are you using with that gearing? What type of riding?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,661
    search ebay high and low.. i got my profiles NEW with euro bb and the hop up kit for $150 shipped

  7. #7
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    search ebay high and low.. i got my profiles NEW with euro bb and the hop up kit for $150 shipped
    Are the Profiles any better than FSA or Eastern?

  8. #8
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,261
    if you are going BMX chromo cranks, make sure it has a 48spline spindle/crank interface = Profile / Wethepeople Royal / Odyssey 41thermal / some FSA / Deity / others...

    But, right now, my number one recommendation is by far, is the Odyssey WOMBOLT! Those are sick and LIGHT. not to mention, you don't have to use excessive amounts of threadlock/tape, or keep retightening, since these have a special wedge built in to keep it tight and only bolt on from 1 point anyway, therefore simplifying and losing weight. You can hardly find a pro out there that doesn't have these cranks on their bike.
    slightly pricy, but comparable to some profile set-ups and these are already lighter than the set-up with a Ti spindle (which is waay expensive). they take a 22mm euro bb, instead of the slightly more common 19mm.

    or if you have fat pockets, the Eastern Ti cranks, haha...

    oh I forgot to mention a couple of other options, which I've never seen in person, but look promising, are the Atomlab chromo cranks that use a Saint style external bearing cups, I think DMR has a version as well.... no idea on price or weight though.



    and I also currently run 28/12 X 24 = 56... but thinking of going 25/11 = 54.5 when the new tree lite hits.
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 10-18-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Is that how you get your "gear inches #"? front ring divided by back cog, times wheel size?

  10. #10
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Is that how you get your "gear inches #"? front ring divided by back cog, times wheel size?
    Yes...

  11. #11
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Is that how you get your "gear inches #"? front ring divided by back cog, times wheel size?

    yep, basically... of course, your tire's outer diameter/volume will effect this slightly, as well as feel will be different with various crank arm lengths....
    I think it's easier this way compared to, well hey, some start at 2:1, so I'll try a little more, or a little less... that also gets complex and lost with 24" wheels...

    most current street mtb (micro-drives) are still based on approx. the bmx common usual of 55"
    Schralp it Heavy.

  12. #12
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    i have the nasty boys on my dj/street bike and love them....had hussefelts on there before and the nasty boys are SO much stiffer...they get my vote
    I am leaning towards the nasty boys simply because they are named after the Janet Jackson song of that title.

  13. #13
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    http://www.danscomp.com/453003.php?cat=PARTS
    i like those

    or sell your car and buy the ti's

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yep, basically... of course, your tire's outer diameter/volume will effect this slightly, as well as feel will be different with various crank arm lengths....
    I think it's easier this way compared to, well hey, some start at 2:1, so I'll try a little more, or a little less... that also gets complex and lost with 24" wheels...

    most current street mtb (micro-drives) are still based on approx. the bmx common usual of 55"
    I know I wouldnt use the same ration on 26 going to 24 (2:1) but would I use the the same gear inch? Like 32:16 (2:1 ratio) on 26" is a 52 Gear Inch. would I look for to find a cog/chainwheel with close to the same Gear Inch as 52 when I switch to 24" to get the same feel? (like 25:12 on 24"S is 50 gear inch)

  15. #15
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287

    26..

    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    What size wheels are you using with that gearing? What type of riding?

    I run a 26 X 2.35 Tire

    Gearing is a 25 up front, and either an 11 (59 inch gear) or 14 (46 inch gear)

    I use the 11 at the DJ, I want to get a bunch of spead before I hit anything and after the first jump I am pretty much coasting anyway. At one skate park in town (6th avenue) I use the 11 because of the size and I like to take an outer line that hits a big wall ride and a nice quarter spine bowl type line - I use the 14 when I an on an Urban ride, when I get on something skinnie I like the gearing better for control and quick bursts of speed.

    I have posted before but here is a pic of the bike..


  16. #16
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    http://www.danscomp.com/453003.php?cat=PARTS
    i like those

    or sell your car and buy the ti's
    Dude those are unicycle cranks.

  17. #17
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    I have the nasty boy cranks with a 25T mosh guard sprocket on my STP, they are awesome.

  18. #18
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    ive been lookin at bmxs and noticed the completes that come w/ micro gearing typicaly are more expensive, whats the deal with that? is this a total newb queston?

  19. #19
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Dude those are unicycle cranks.
    what the crap those come STOCK on 2hip platboi's

    why the heck do you think there uni cranks? primos a BMX company

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    412
    its because the hub is more expensive

  21. #21
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287

    its all in the hub

    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    ive been lookin at bmxs and noticed the completes that come w/ micro gearing typicaly are more expensive, whats the deal with that? is this a total newb queston?
    They use a hub wwith a casette much like a MTB only it holds one or two cogs only. the old style used a cheaper thread on freewheel. The new style is stronger and more reliable while offering gretter gear ranges

  22. #22
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    what the crap those come STOCK on 2hip platboi's

    why the heck do you think there uni cranks? primos a BMX company
    Primo started out making Unis. Check that unicycle video in the other thread, that one dude is running these same exact cranks.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    wow i can't belive what profiles are going for now i got mine for $100 back when i rode my bmx and just got a euro conversion from a friend for free. but wow 150 for the cranks isn't worth it. just get any 48 spline chromo crank. I love my profiles to death and have had the same set for 7 years now so you can't go wrong with them either. plus their warranty is top notch

  24. #24
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    I have the nasty boy cranks with a 25T mosh guard sprocket on my STP, they are awesome.
    been running the Nasty Boys for a few years myself and no problems whatsoever. Cheap and strong. Gearing wise, I run 25x11 with 24's rollin.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I know I wouldnt use the same ration on 26 going to 24 (2:1) but would I use the the same gear inch? Like 32:16 (2:1 ratio) on 26" is a 52 Gear Inch. would I look for to find a cog/chainwheel with close to the same Gear Inch as 52 when I switch to 24" to get the same feel? (like 25:12 on 24"S is 50 gear inch)
    Anybody???? Just wanna know if I look for the same gear inch on 24 as 26, or if not the same, what gear inch on 24"s would be closest to a 52 gear inch on 26"s?

    Please, if you know, help me out, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •