Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006

Cowan vs. Stuff, Differences?

Forgive me for what may be a stupid question, but what is the major difference between the two frames? Maybe I am missing it but the literature doesn't seem to be clear on this. Thanks in advance.
    -B

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The frames are similar, but the chainstays are different (beefier) on the Cowan and the Cowan also has horizontal sliding rear dropouts.

I just picked up a Cowan frame and the build is in progress. I will post pics when done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    The frames are similar, but the chainstays are different (beefier) on the Cowan and the Cowan also has horizontal sliding rear dropouts.

I just picked up a Cowan frame and the build is in progress. I will post pics when done.
    Slightly off topic, but do you know what the chainstay length range is on the Cowan? I have heard 16.75-17.25" but that is really long for a dirt jump frame.

Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, now I know, and knowing is half the battle. -B

eminence front
    Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    Slightly off topic, but do you know what the chainstay length range is on the Cowan? I have heard 16.75-17.25" but that is really long for a dirt jump frame.
    Check the Kona website for the exact geo, but off the top of my head I would say you are spot on.

I was suprised to see the stays that long too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xray
    Check the Kona website for the exact geo, but off the top of my head I would say you are spot on.

I was suprised to see the stays that long too...
    will do - thanks for the info.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez

It actually has sliding vertical drops.

Though the stays are a little long, it rides very very well. Definitely a cool feel to it.

I post too much.
    Long stays but it makes it feel really stable in the air, it is much more of a dj frame than it is an urban one.

mtbr member
    Actually for 2007, the Stuff also has sliding verticle dropouts. The Kona DJ frames are 16.7" chainstays.