mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Converting my mtb over for park

I have a 26" specialized hardrock that i do alot of trial and street riding for exercise. last year a new indoor bike park opened up (cranx) and i took my bike there. now bare in mind im 39 and not as nimble as i once was. i like to just play around.

with that said, it was fun but the bike felt sketchy with the knobby tires and the clanking of the derraluer drove me crazy.

i want to change my bike over with some add ons to make it better for indoors. i would like to go single speed and drop on a pair of new tires. i want to keep it cheap as i have many hobbies

any ideas what i could use to get my bike up to specs ?

thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    this is a common question on mtbr--how to convert an xc bike to dj/park. the basic answer is "you don't."

it's not riders being dickish or unhelpful. it's just that so many aspects of xc bikes are not suited. not just a few things, but, like, everything.

first consider frame size. you should slam your seat all the way down. but even then it may still be too high, depending on how tall you are.

then:

1) go singlespeed
    2) consider going rigid or getting a DJ fork. xc forks are tuned for "mush"--to get you over bumpy trails, they generally suck in park.
    3) get bmx platform pedals.
    4) short reach stem. generally 50mm.
    5) once you change the stem you'll probably need new bars too.
    6) new tires

my recommendation for you would be to check craigslist regularly and pick up an all rigid 24" bmx like a DK Cygnus, Haro 24", Fit for a cheap price (i regularly see them for around $150-$200 used). ride it for park. then sell it again if you need to. i actuall picked up a DK Cygus 24" complete on craigslist recently for a friend for only $70. bmx bikes are cheap compared to mtb.

or just commit to a dirt jumper 26". something like a Haro Steel Reserve 1.1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks, yea ive been searching around. nothing has popped up. i did see a DK bike on walmart.com believe it or not.