mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Convert 24" BMX Cruiser to DJ Bike

I have a custom built 24" BMX Cruiser that I hardly use. Was going to sell it and buy a DJ bike, then I thought maybe I could convert it over. It has 24" wheels, but I figure a new 26" fork, stem, and riser bars might work OK - a lot of folks put 26" forks on 24" kids mtb's.

The one thing I am thinking is the head tube angle may be too steep. Any thoughts? Anyone ever do this?

Thanks,

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Convert 24" BMX Cruiser to DJ Bike-p4pb2608867.jpg  

Ohh Gnarly!!
    I don't think I'd try it.You would be changing the geometry,and possibly putting stress on an aluminum race frame that wasn't designed for a 26" fork.

That's a nice cruiser,you should keep it how it is,or sell it

Natural Born Killer
    I tried going this route once, 26" fork and front wheel on 24" cruiser, then 24" wheel on 26" fork. It just turned out goofy, the bike was much better as originally designed/intended. Others may have had different results. I agree that is a nice bike, it would make probably make good trade fodder, or sell it outright if you must. Entry level dirt jump bikes are cheap enough that this kind of experimentation isn't really worth it IMHO (although I'm constantly experimenting with bikes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    a lot of folks put 26" forks on 24" kids mtb's.Tom
    No they don't, and if they did it does not make it right.

mtbr member
    Well it's kinda kooky but it can be done. The issue is that your frame is designed around a short fork. Typically 390 mm axle to crown or so. If you run an 80mm travel suspension fork, that will be about 458 or 460 axle to crown. So the front end of your bike will be raised up 70mm. This will make your bottom bracket and cranks high off the ground and your front end chopper ish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have canned this idea. I am thinking I either jump on this bike or sell it and buy a dedicated jump bike. I found a used P3 for a great price and was looking at the Airbourne.

Should I be worried about jumping with a carbon fork? I am about 200 lbs.

Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    I have canned this idea. I am thinking I either jump on this bike or sell it and buy a dedicated jump bike. I found a used P3 for a great price and was looking at the Airbourne.

Should I be worried about jumping with a carbon fork? I am about 200 lbs.

Tom

The common wisdom is that carbon forks are for Bmx racing only. Almost all the bmx racers I know have a second bike (an all chromoly steel one) for dirt jumping, street and park.

Snapping a fork on landing is one of the worst crashes you can have because you typically dont get your hands off the grips to save your fall--it's straight to face. Not worth the risk.