Thread: connections

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

connections

of couse you guys know i bought an 09 p.1 and its great but the consensus is the wheels are butter i found a wheelset locally that came off a new mullet ss. they are bontrager ranger 36h/ 14 guage spokes and i can get em for cheap. question is, can they take anymore abuse than my stockers or should i pass and just save my dough for some azonic outlaws when mine eventually taco? thanks and i think i might be getting ocd about wheel strength and tacos

Bikes Rule
    Yes you have wheel OCD. Bontrager anything IMO is average at best. Ride what you have and save up for a GOOD wheelset. Or buy a good wheelset now and sell the others while they are still round.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i know im crazy but i keep thinkin im going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere because i cased a double and taco'ed a rim. settled, i will just save up the money and buy some outlaws before i do any actual dirt jumpin. thanks

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    the wheels on the p1 aren't *that* fragile, sure you don't wanna case a big double on them, but if you stay smallish and smooth they'll work great, hell, even going kinda big if you're smooth they'll be fine, but saving up for some good wheels is a really good idea.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

dirt rules
    FFS, keep the spokes tensioned properly, and ride the motherlovin' things.
    Build up another set in the meantime if you think you'll destroy them. Then do the same thing when you run those.... you'll probably do it again no matter what wheelset you run.

Slopestyle Rider
    /\ /\ /\

What he said.

You probably aren't going to trash those wheels from casing a double. I bent mine from over-rotating a 360 on a really big set of doubles. Unless you are doing 3's, those wheels will be fine for jumping. Like others have stated, keep the spokes tight and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Until you kill the wheels you have you haven't earned the right to buy new ones.

Or thats how I talk myself out of buying ish all the time anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRADDICT
    i found a wheelset locally that came off a new mullet ss. they are bontrager ranger 36h/ 14 guage spokes and i can get em for cheap.
    They got rid of them for the same reason you want to get rid of yours. I have a Mullet and I can't wait until these wheels die so I can get a new set.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I feel bad for making you afraid of the stock wheels... Just because they didn't work for me doesn't mean they won't work for you. As soon as I assembled my P1 I went straight to a medium sized ditch and was throwing lofty 180's and trying 3's right away. Landing off center from 4 or 5 feet at speed is rather hard on any wheel. Probably the only way you are going to get stranded out anywhere is if you get a flat and don't have a tube and air or you get bike jacked... Seriously though, you will be fine while you are getting used to riding your new bike. You will learn how it responds to your riding style as you progress. Progression takes time, anything you may wear out or want to upgrade will happen during that time. Just have fun and get them trued/tensioned after 7 or 8 decent rides or you start to see a slight wobble in them, if that even happens soon.

mtbr member
    You are blowing this new bike out of proportion. You got a new bike. Ride it. Quit typing about it and get out there and hit some jumps. Get your own opinion on the wheels. Who knows you might not have any need to replace them soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Put lots of air in the tires, start practicing your hops, then practice your hops some more, then really start the practicing, learn to throw those hops clean, you aint gonna taco those wheels.

mtbr member
    All wheel's eventually die. Ive destroyed more wheels from spin tricks than anything else.

I would get a wheel that dosent have a Shirmano hub.

Unless you just have money to toss around, then stick with your stock wheels, until something gives out. Whether it be your rim from casing too many curbs, or your hub takes a dump.

If the bike offers your free repair's with your new bike, then when your wheels start becoming out of true, take it in, have them true it and re-tension the wheels. Most shops these days offer free maintenance when you buy a new bike. If your shop dosent offer these services, well that sucks. After riding for about a week or so, take the bike into the shop and have them do a run over on the bike; check all the bolts, the wheels, the chain.. etc etc.. 5 minute run over as I call em.

I've ridden cheap wheelsets and had them last for MONTHS. Its all about knowing how to take care of your stuff. Experience plays a major factor as well. Seasoned riders know whats goin on, and how to prevent it. Rookie riders are new to the game, and have yet to learn.
    Last edited by literocola; 02-13-2009 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Plats
    Put lots of air in the tires, start practicing your hops, then practice your hops some more, then really start the practicing, learn to throw those hops clean, you aint gonna taco those wheels.
    dude at the shop told me to run 60-80 psi checked the tires this morning and thier only rated for 50 psi max

Meh.
    You can run much higher pressures than the tires usually say. I've had my Holy Rollers at 90 PSI before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can run much higher pressures than the tires usually say. I've had my Holy Rollers at 90 PSI before.
    thanks man