Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    Jesus Freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335

    Which complete would you get?

    After Christmas this year I'm going to get a dj. Which would you choose between these 2 07 models?

    I'm leaning toward the Giant because it's SS already and lighter(I assume) but that doesn't necessarily matter.

    Specialized P2 Cr-Mo
    http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=16872

    Giant STP SS
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11491

    Thanks!!

    Dave

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    77

    p.2

    p.2 cromo, super nice bike, they cleaned the frame up.i love giant, but that stp just doesn't do it for me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    657
    Why not just get the P1? SS and has better stuff than the STP.

  4. #4
    Jesus Freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    Why not just get the P1? SS and has better stuff than the STP.
    Honestly I just didn't notice so thanks for the pointer

    I didn't realize that the P1 was also Cr-Mo according to the specs...

    I wish the P1 was available in white but that's no biggie.

    Keep em coming but lets now change the primary focus between the P1 and STP SS...also include any other completes that are already SS that you like. I'm open to debate

  5. #5
    Local Paperboy Hero
    Reputation: Cru Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    986
    You might consider a DK Xenia 26. I haven't seen many of them around. It looks simple and solid. And it's at a great price ($650 MSRP). Or, maybe consider a General Lee. Yeah, it's 24" cruiser with a solid fork, but it's a hell of a deal for a complete bike ($270 MSRP). And, personally, I think learning to jump on a smaller bike really helps develop bike skills. But, both the P1 and STP would be great choices as well. Good luck!!!

    http://www.dkbicycles.com/bikes/bikes.html

  6. #6
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,250
    I like the STP, but just can't get over it as an SS. Giant really needs to step up and make one with horizontal dropouts for SS, which baffles me why they haven't yet, they have a version of the XTC with horizontal dropouts for SS!
    I don't personally know anything about the new redesigned P bikes so I can't say much.

    how about a Norco, I really dig their completes, and if I weren't so much into building up my own rigs, that is the route I would go.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    get the p1. first of all ,the giant has veriticle dropouts and a tensioner which sucks dink for ss. And the p1 looks way cool with that green colour and brown grips and seat. Plus its cromo which is great.

  8. #8
    Jesus Freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    get the p1. first of all ,the giant has veriticle dropouts and a tensioner which sucks dink for ss. And the p1 looks way cool with that green colour and brown grips and seat. Plus its cromo which is great.
    Thanks for all the replys.

    I'm definately leaning toward the P1 now. I really like all the bikes that have been posted but they are generally higher in price and most are not already SS.

    Keep em coming.

  9. #9
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    making a bike SS only costs about $20 so what is there to worry about
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  10. #10
    Jesus Freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    making a bike SS only costs about $20 so what is there to worry about
    I disagree and here is why. I'll stick with Specialized for this example though all the geared bikes I've looked at are typically higer than the prices below..

    P.2 $880
    P.1 $770
    So what we get is a bike that is not a single speed, the P2, costing 110 dollars more and then adding another $20 to convert it to SS.
    The parts taken off are not that high end so you may or may not get your money back for them if you sale them.

    $130 is plenty to worry about when you're on a budget.

  11. #11
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    I disagree and here is why. I'll stick with Specialized for this example though all the geared bikes I've looked at are typically higer than the prices below..

    P.2 $880
    P.1 $770
    So what we get is a bike that is not a single speed, the P2, costing 110 dollars more and then adding another $20 to convert it to SS.
    The parts taken off are not that high end so you may or may not get your money back for them if you sale them.

    $130 is plenty to worry about when you're on a budget.
    the cromo frame is a huge + in my opinion. for urban and park, you'll wail on that thing and its only a matter of time before you put a good ding in an alu frame. alu is great for many applications but I personally don't think urban and park are two of those.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  12. #12
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,250
    Hey, I realize budget is a high concern (with most all of us, myself included), but really, it shouldn't take you too long to save up another $200 for a bike you will extremely love, compared to just settling short for another just to get it quicker.
    again, I'll HIGHLY recommend the Norco 250 right now. the msrp may seem high, but you should be able to get some off at your LBS.
    the 250 is DECKED this year, straight up! I really love it, and I'm usually highly against buying completes since I love building so much, but... this thing comes with a spanish BB (mtb market is just starting to realize the benefits here even though bmx has been doing it for quite awhile, since they invented it..), comes with a sweet SS Micro-drive set-up already on it, Half-link chain, 14mm rear axle (c'mon tell me others besides Eastern26 and DMR who are already doing this with 135mm), Macneil seat and post, AND! PINK spokes! man, this thing just hit me right I guess... I almost just talked myself into buying one... haha, j/k.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  13. #13
    Too Kool for Skool
    Reputation: theg1ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    321
    I say stp ss but if you get a p series get a p.1
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Hey, I realize budget is a high concern (with most all of us, myself included), but really, it shouldn't take you too long to save up another $200 for a bike you will extremely love, compared to just settling short for another just to get it quicker.
    again, I'll HIGHLY recommend the Norco 250 right now. the msrp may seem high, but you should be able to get some off at your LBS.
    the 250 is DECKED this year, straight up! I really love it, and I'm usually highly against buying completes since I love building so much, but... this thing comes with a spanish BB (mtb market is just starting to realize the benefits here even though bmx has been doing it for quite awhile, since they invented it..), comes with a sweet SS Micro-drive set-up already on it, Half-link chain, 14mm rear axle (c'mon tell me others besides Eastern26 and DMR who are already doing this with 135mm), Macneil seat and post, AND! PINK spokes! man, this thing just hit me right I guess... I almost just talked myself into buying one... haha, j/k.
    The micro drive may be kinda cool, but there is no option for bashguard, unless you buy a new sprocket. Maybe its not a big deal to some people, but since there isnt any pegs, thats what alot of bikers will use to grind on. Specialied has bash. Halflink chain, cool, no biggie tho. Wheels on both, meh, not much difference. Brakes, the Norco comes with hayes mech while specialized comes with avid mech. big difference there. Avid owns hayes when it comes to mech brakes. The fork really isnt that differernt. And those pink spokes..... disgusting. Might be cool to brag about for a while, but I wouldnt wanna ride that crap. The bike isnt even pink. Its just a rondom spot of ugly colour. The Specialized on the other hand has colours that go together.
    So ya, you get a slightly better fork, and the 14mm axle, but I dont think thats really worth extra $220, and its definatly not a situation like you said "save another 200 and get a bike you will extremly love compared to settling for another to get it quicker."

    ***BTW, you said tell me other who are doing 14mm with 135mm other than dmr and eastern....... Banshee.

    Bro, go with big S

  15. #15
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    The micro drive may be kinda cool, but there is no option for bashguard, unless you buy a new sprocket. Maybe its not a big deal to some people, but since there isnt any pegs, thats what alot of bikers will use to grind on. Specialied has bash. Halflink chain, cool, no biggie tho. Wheels on both, meh, not much difference. Brakes, the Norco comes with hayes mech while specialized comes with avid mech. big difference there. Avid owns hayes when it comes to mech brakes. The fork really isnt that differernt. And those pink spokes..... disgusting. Might be cool to brag about for a while, but I wouldnt wanna ride that crap. The bike isnt even pink. Its just a rondom spot of ugly colour. The Specialized on the other hand has colours that go together.
    So ya, you get a slightly better fork, and the 14mm axle, but I dont think thats really worth extra $220, and its definatly not a situation like you said "save another 200 and get a bike you will extremly love compared to settling for another to get it quicker."

    ***BTW, you said tell me other who are doing 14mm with 135mm other than dmr and eastern....... Banshee.

    Bro, go with big S

    we obviously differ highly! I like pink (not too much, like pink tires or something) and brown, haha, and I guess that's just the beginning of where our views spread apparantly... no beef though. It's all opinion, and up to readers to sort through them... I look at your bike and say, eh... you look and mine and say the same thing... some other joe comes along and digs it.... who knows... even riding them is a highly opinionated matter that comes down to the person specifically... man, these online recommendation threads can get outta hand...
    interesting I did not know banshee was using the 14mm as well, what hub are you running? I know there are a handful of other companies out there using it, but I was just making a point, it's rare. as for your recommendation to the "Big S"... to each his own, I won't be buying any, nor recommending them.
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 09-26-2006 at 03:13 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    we obviously differ highly! I like pink (not too much, like pink tires or something) and brown, haha, and I guess that's just the beginning of where our views spread apparantly... no beef though. It's all opinion, and up to readers to sort through them... I look at your bike and say, eh... you look and mine and say the same thing... some other joe comes along and digs it.... who knows... even riding them is a highly opinionated matter that comes down to the person specifically... man, these online recommendation threads can get outta hand...
    interesting I did not know banshee was using the 14mm as well, what hub are you running? I know there are a handful of other companies out there using it, but I was just making a point, it's rare. as for your recommendation to the "Big S"... to each his own, I won't be buying any, nor recommending them.
    Thats cool man. opinions are opinions. good to have lots of info for the buyer. Ya, right now Im running a 10mm bolt on, but the scratch comes with 2 different sets of rear end hardware for the 14mm too.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: f0ggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,316
    I am selling an 05 giant stp frame, and fork if your interested, I bought it in feb of 06, absolutely love it, Its not SS but cant you convert? Any ways it will be a good deal

  18. #18
    Jesus Freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    I am selling an 05 giant stp frame, and fork if your interested, I bought it in feb of 06, absolutely love it, Its not SS but cant you convert? Any ways it will be a good deal
    Thanks but I built my XC race bike and though it's better that way I spent way too much money on it and had just rather buy a complete this time around for cost savings.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    953
    I'd go with the P1. Steel and SS, shouts tough. Now where the hell are the v-brake mounts?
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

  20. #20
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    P.1 all the way, even though the giant is a really sick bike for this year. but one option you could consider, it GT's new bikes. I personally think the Ruckus UF is a sick bike. the brakes really arent the best though, but I've used Tektro IO brakes for DJ before, you should be fine. fork is half decient. it isnt the same price as the others though $650.00 so you'd have some $$ to play with. just something to throw out there, they also have a 24" model, but its more a park bike. also something cool, this frame uses a euro BB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  21. #21
    tuck-n-roll master
    Reputation: pavement_hurts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    636
    Go for the STP! I don't have a really rational reason for saying that beyond me hating Specialized.

  22. #22
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Norco 250 I believe is single speed as well... there it is!

    http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/Mount...view=1&deets=2

  23. #23
    tuck-n-roll master
    Reputation: pavement_hurts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    636
    Go with Addict Cycles. Small, American outfit based out of Boulder, CO. Support the little guy! AND you get a free upgrade from a Stance (poo!) to a Gold Label!!!
    Specs:
    Top Tube 21.8"
    Chain Stay 15.75" - 16.65"
    Seat Tube 11.15"
    Wheel Base 41.1" - 42"
    BB Height 13.25"
    Stand Over 26.25"
    Head Tube 4.55"
    Head Tube Angle 69.5
    Seat Tube Angle 70.3
    Seat Post Size 27.2 mm
    Finish Ano. Black


    Fork Manitou Gold Label
    Bars FSA FR-330
    Stem FSA FR-220
    Headset FSA Pig DH Deep Set
    Crankset/BB FSA GAP MegaExo
    Brake (rear) Hayes MX-2
    Seatpost FSA FR-270
    Seat SDG Freestyle
    Wheel (front) Rockwerks disk/Rhynolite
    Wheel (rear) Rockwerks SS Bolt-on /Rhynolite
    Tires Kenda K-Rads
    complete.jpg

  24. #24
    Local Paperboy Hero
    Reputation: Cru Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    986

    Blk Mrkt Completes

    Hold up!!!! Check this out. This will probably end up being one of the best complete bike offerings out right now....

    http://infantry5.com/interbike_Day_One.html

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    953
    Those Black Markets look nice. I rode the GT at Ray's last year after trashing my rear wheel trying to take flips out of the foam pit. Rode pretty good after I made the fork as stiff as possible. I wish companies would release bikes with beefy rigid forks instead of crappy low end squish forks. Also, I want v-brake mounts on all street/park/dirt frames. Some of up like to do grinds and rails.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •