Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cole Massif

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cole Massif

Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions or experience with the Cole Massif wheelset?

http://www.cole-products.com/cole/mt...ls/massif.html

I post too much.
    Spank rims, propietary hubs and spokes and atomlab torque nipples... Odd combo, could work though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Spank rims, propietary hubs and spokes and atomlab torque nipples... Odd combo, could work though.
    Why do you say its an odd combo? Is it a good or bad odd?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    no clue.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BWVDubya
    Why do you say its an odd combo? Is it a good or bad odd?
    Neither, just odd.

Spank rims aren't something we hear about a lot on here, although I seem to remember a few members wanting to try them. Maybe someone will chime in.

Atomlab's torque nipples are a good idea, and I can't see why those spoke heads would be any weaker than a normal j-bend spoke. I think it should be a pretty tough wheelset, only I don't know jack about those hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Neither, just odd.

Spank rims aren't something we hear about a lot on here, although I seem to remember a few members wanting to try them. Maybe someone will chime in.

Atomlab's torque nipples are a good idea, and I can't see why those spoke heads would be any weaker than a normal j-bend spoke. I think it should be a pretty tough wheelset, only I don't know jack about those hubs.
    It seems to be a solid wheelset, the hubs are burly as sh*t. The design is different but looks like it may work pretty damn well. They are a tad pricy but not out of my range if end up deciding on purchasing them

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    well you could get em and try em out for us. I dont think its a rubbish product...probably damn nice quality!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -.---.-
    well you could get em and try em out for us. I dont think its a rubbish product...probably damn nice quality!
    I would love to try them out but would also love to know more about em. Not many people I know have had any experience with these wheels so that makes me reluctant. I would hope they are not a rubbish product at that price, I would hate to drop that dough and have em be shat

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    they look pretty awesome
    im running a spank rim in the front on my old ruckus
    im unsure on running one on the back because its a 32h rim but in the front its ben holding up great. if youve got the money go ahead and give them a shot, they arent anywhere close to rubbish

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    they look pretty awesome
    im running a spank rim in the front on my old ruckus
    im unsure on running one on the back because its a 32h rim but in the front its ben holding up great. if youve got the money go ahead and give them a shot, they arent anywhere close to rubbish
    Thanks for the input. I think Im gonna place my order next weekend along with an 08 dj1 and 08 Avid Codes and Im lookin at a new crank just dont know which one I want

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anybody wanna donate so I can test em out for you all too?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Similar to Industry 9 Componentry wheels:

MORE INFO HERE

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis.G
    Similar to Industry 9 Componentry wheels:

MORE INFO HERE
    Wow, those are sick. Now only if I could find a store that sells them online

I post too much.
    Wow, those are sick. Now only if I could find a store that sells them online
    At $880+ a wheelset, I believe they are out of your price range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    At $880+ a wheelset, I believe they are out of your price range.
    I didnt know I had a price range.
    Who says they are out of my range?

Don't Buy Nike's
    They look solid as FVck
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Roadies suck man tang.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrz4
    They look solid as FVck
    I hope so cause Im about to drop the dough next weekend unless I can find an online store that sells the Industry Nine rims and uses Paypal

I post too much.
    I hope so cause Im about to drop the dough next weekend unless I can find an online store that sells the Industry Nine rims and uses Paypal
    FWIW, I think it's useless to drop so much money on a wheelset that'll get such a trashing, unless you are racing, there is just no point to I9 wheels. I'd settle for a hadley laced to a 721 with double butted spokes and alloy nips, just as strong, nearly as light, and half the price or even less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    FWIW, I think it's useless to drop so much money on a wheelset that'll get such a trashing, unless you are racing, there is just no point to I9 wheels. I'd settle for a hadley laced to a 721 with double butted spokes and alloy nips, just as strong, nearly as light, and half the price or even less.
    You have a very valid point but I want a rim that can take a beating and Im not replacing them often.

I post too much.
    You have a very valid point but I want a rim that can take a beating and Im not replacing them often.
    Paying more won't make it any stronger. If anything, it could be argued that I9 wheels are a bit weaker due their aluminum spokes.

Wheel build matters a lot, you could have the strongest rim out there, and still bend it to a taco if the wheel was poorly built.

Want very strong and stiff rims? Go for a hand-laced atomlab wheelset, or lace atomlab PIMPS to the hub of your choice, have them built by a qualified wheel builder, keep the tension in check and they will take anything you dish out.

I've been running my pimps all summer, they have never budged since the initial build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yet again another valid point. The problem with having something laced is Im in Korea and dont know any builders out here that I trust to build a wheelset. Thats why Im lookin at out of the box stuff. How bout the Transition Revolution?

I post too much.
    Yet again another valid point. The problem with having something laced is Im in Korea and dont know any builders out here that I trust to build a wheelset. Thats why Im lookin at out of the box stuff. How bout the Transition Revolution?
    Good rep, good company, good product. A bit on the heavy side but like I said, if you keep the spoke tension in check, you should be fine.

Don't Buy Nike's
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Roadies suck man tang.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    And at only 280 a set they seem well worth it

I've been rocking these for over a year now. Actually- it's the same set in these photos...
    http://www.cole-products.com/cole/mtb/visuals.html

They have been ridden all over SoCal, Oregon, and Whistler. I haven't done a thing to them- and they are still going. The Spank rims are fine- a few dings- but not a big deal. I think they may switch to an AtomLab rim at some point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast