mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cold weather and hydraulic discs...

should the cold air be affecting my fluid so much that my braking is noticeably less powerful? i guess i'm running normal hayes fluid, is there a brand that doesn't contract or expand to temperature?

on a side note, i feel bad for you guys up north, here in the houston area we're able to ride just about every day out of the year.

I post too much.
    No need to feel bad for us up north, we're used to it :P. You shouldn't be noticing too much of a difference in braking. I do find my levers to be engaging faster because my lines don't expand as much, but the compound on the pads is probably contracting as well due to the cold, so there is a possibility of having less power.

I don't think it should really affect you down in houston though IMO, right now it's 5 celsius below freezing here(that would be 23F), and I really do notice the difference. Even with V's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    it's warmed up a little, but it was around 50-60 the other day and by brakes were acting bad.

i might just need to bleed em.

...for I am a raindog too

Bleed em

50 degrees is not cold (or even cool) enough to make a naked turtle shiver, not to mention causing havok with any kind of hydraulic braking system.

Of course, you did say that it is a Hayes system????

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaindogT
    50 degrees is not cold (or even cool) enough to make a naked turtle shiver, not to mention causing havok with any kind of hydraulic braking system.

Of course, you did say that it is a Hayes system????
    I had HFX-9 XC's before on my Kona Stuff(the bike got stolen) and even in 0F and under weather, the braking was pretty much always the same and very predictable.

mtbr member
    what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was 50-60 degrees? and ou calling this cold?

its a whopping 14 fahrenheit right now, and not getting any warmer..........

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was 50-60 degrees? and ou calling this cold?

its a whopping 14 fahrenheit right now, and not getting any warmer..........
    it's snowed twice here since i've been alive. only stayed on the ground once.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Product
    it's snowed twice here since i've been alive. only stayed on the ground once.
    lucky b*stard

i have a nice 8 inches right now, and it will stay untill march

I post too much.
    There's about 3 inches of snow out there right now. It'll melt by tuesday because of rainfall, but next time it snows it's staying for good.