CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006

Cheapy Mongoose BMX Bikes

for shits and giggles, this doesn't look like a bad deal at all. its from ***** sporting goods, but sports authority has the exact same selection (i think they're the same company?)

http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...788549.1764616

and theres another one for $50 more, but they don't show why in the specs
    http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...788549.1764616

I know I'll probably be flamed for this
    Have a nice day.
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

#1 Ho
    I will sell you a DK general lee for a $150 with mutany handlebars............
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

Portland, OR
    they actually look kinda nice for the price.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    usualy when i ride i mongoose i ghoste ride it into a wall

Meh.
    Don't know about construction, but I know that they're usually not assembled correctly. Either too much or too little chain tension. The gyros click and feel mushy, brakes aren't set up right, bearings are all loose, wheels haven't been trued, tires mounted backwards, etc. Usually they're cheap and heavy hi-ten steel frames with singlewall rims and a bunch of housebrand parts. But apparently those are the "REAL" Mongoose brand bikes, not just cheap(er) department store models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OK, here's the deal.

The Menace is a real beginner bike, that only has a chromoly steertube, headtube, and seattube. Not enough for anyone over 12 in my opinion unless they are buying the name.

The Brawler is better with a chromoly front triangle and fork, but suffers from having single wall rims and a hi-ten handlebar. If you are light and just starting to leave terra-firma it could work.

Personally, I'd get something better used off eBay or something. I can put you in touch with someone selling a 2003 Haro Nyquist Pro for cheap. Good condition aside from a flat spot in the rear wheel that really doesn't effect ridability.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Air Junkie
    I would much rather ride this http://www.danscomp.com/101107.php?cat=BIKES

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    I would much rather ride this http://www.danscomp.com/101107.php?cat=BIKES
    Better name, but honestly same level construction.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

look into

look into one of the new mirraco's. dk makes a decent stock bmx bike.

40 oz to freedom
    For $50 more you can have a Felt Ethic. For $20 more you can have a DK General Lee. I definatly say skip the mongoose.

From my experience if you hit anything bigger than a kicker a few times you will mess up single wall rims (on the back atleast). The single walls on my Haro Nyquest 1 got absloutely destroyed from doing a 5 stair a couple times.

To quote the owner of my LBS "you can give me $800 right now for a great bike that will take the abuse you want it to, or you can give me $800 over time for upgrades and repairs on the bike you cheaped out on."

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    To quote the owner of my LBS "you can give me $800 right now for a great bike that will take the abuse you want it to, or you can give me $800 over time for upgrades and repairs on the bike you cheaped out on."
    agreed but to start, I don't really ride bmx and I just saw some really cheap bikes that might be fun to just buy and mess around with I think if I wanted to start BMX I'd get a 24 because I've ridden one before and I like the bigger wheels
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    cheap sporting good bmx = hell in a hand basket ,, espacially a mongoose . I have owned two wich was a BIG mistake although one was stolen =( your better off getting a good bmx from a brand that you can trust like spesh, norco, haro or maybe GT ..

I have a personal vendetta that I launched against mongoose 2 years ago wich i fully live up to today
    Ducks will rule the world, or they already do. How would we know ?

Meh.
    GT and Mongoose are both owned by Pacific. They also own Schwinn. Quality and reputation has been a rollercoaster the last few years.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Better name, but honestly same level construction.
    are talking about the construction of the actual frame and components or the fact that it is a mail-order bike and may not be assembled right?

the general lee 20 only has cromoly on the main triangle and steerer tube apparently...so that looks about the same. but the actual bild seems better to me. less "house" branded products and so forth. the general lee 24 looks like the way to go to me...100% cro-mo frame and fork, 3pc cranks, kenda k-rads, and at 31 pounds (only 3 pounds heavier than a 2007 specialized epic marathon). it just seems dk would be a more reputable and higher-quality company than mongoo....err, pacific, and you aren't buying it from a department/sporting goods store.
    Trestle Bike Park