mtbr member
    Sep 2006

cheap DJ 300 build up....

I have recently been getting into djing freeriding. I am planing on buying a cheap khs DJ300 frame and doing a frugal build up. I was thinking i would taking the drive train and fork of my spec rockhopper and use it for my build. With plans of upgrading things as good deals come my way or when things break.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

i would also want to imediatly upgrade to avid mechanicals, so i would need a new wheel set. can anyone suggest a cheap but good wheelset for me ?

does this sound like a decent idea ? are there any parts from my xc bike that just wont cut it for djing (besides the fork)?

thanks

I post too much.
    The cranks or BB may or may not, I'd get a shorter stem, the rest should be fine.

h-town hucker
    Azonic Outlaws

$250 for the set. front hub is convetable from qr to 20mm. you pick the spacing for the back wheel when you order them; 135mm or 150mm. i don't really understand what it means though.
    AZONIC

nOOb now rOOkie

this is before i lowered the fork. but just a picture for you to look at.

40 oz to freedom
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyP1
    Azonic Outlaws

$250 for the set. front hub is convetable from qr to 20mm. you pick the spacing for the back wheel when you order them; 135mm or 150mm. i don't really understand what it means though.
    The spacing is how far apart the rear drop outs are. 135mm is normal for MTB's. DH bikes and some Freeride bikes use a 150mm rear spacing. BMX bikes use a 110mm rear spacing.

You would want a 135mm rear spacing for your build.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    bike looks great cant wait to get started.... does the dj 300 use qr or 20mm hubs ? Im guessing they are qr. and can anybody recomend a budget discbrake wheelset for me ?

thanks

40 oz to freedom
    The dj 300 uses a normal qr, its the forks that use 20mm.

As previously suggested the Azonic Outlaws are great wheelsets. Jenson USA also has Shimano Saint Hubs laced to Sun Rhyno Lites. They are pretty decent wheels for only $169. You would need to run Saint Hydros, but those are awesome breaks. You would need levers, but I think any Hydro levers will work.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...isc+Brake.aspx

Or if you want to use different brakes they make an adapter that converts the center lock rotors to 6 bolt IS disc mounts:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+To+Is.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cool ill look into those, im probably going to go with the avid bb7s just for cost, and ease of set up.....so that might rule out those jenson ones....

40 oz to freedom
    My bad, the adapter DOESNT work with Saints.

But either way, the Saints are great setups if you want to spend the extra money on the brakes.