Thread: cheap cheap DJ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Listen! cheap cheap DJ?

iv'e posted this in other places trying to get some info, but i would like to go off some DJ's with this bike... so all help is well thank-you'd

right now i have a bike i want converted into a SS.
    It's a -06 Giant Bolder, and i basically beat the living CRAP! out of it for 2yrs.
    so i want it to be a good little DirtJump bike/ Commute bike/ Single Speed,
    im fairly good with my hands and can put the parts on myself, the only thing is i have i VERY small budget, so what can i do to make it a good quality bike for what i wan w/ out a big budget?

P.S. thee wheels are outta true, the shifting isn't good thats why i want it to be a SS, and just basically every part isn't very good, but to just be able to ride it what will i need?
    ~thanks~

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    how big of jumps/drops are you going to be doing? the wheels won't hold up to much nor will the frame. converting to SS should be pretty easy/cheap, and it'll work fine for around town/xc stuff, but dj stuff it's not really going to survive much.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

dirt rules
    It's ready to break. I hope you have insurance.
    BAD IDEA.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Commuter only, yes. Anything else no. If you want tokeep it, get the wheels trued/replaced and don't spend too much converting it to ss

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've had the older version boulder. To be able to get some really simple street/dirt basics, make it ss. Im not sure what wheels you got, but mine were quite decent. Take front brake off and yeah, just start doing small stuff. Once your a decent beginner, get something new.

App State
    Rock what you got!

Dont know much about that giant, but a single speed kit is cheap, round $20 for a forte kit(has tensioner spacers and cog) and then u need a single speed chain! Presto! Well not really you need a cassette tool and chain whip to get the cassette off your old wheels and put the single speed cog back on, but I bet you lbs would do it for cheap or free, if u sweet talk em, and get them to true up your wheels while you are there and go have fun! A friend of mine road his diamond back like you said you ride yours, and I'm sure your better off with giant, just ride it till stuff breaks and replace as you go, pretty soon you will have a pretty sweet bike.

PS- You dont have to take your front brake off, just do what you want to, I run a front brake on my jump bike.

mtbr member
    DJ bikes are so different from regular xc mtb's that I think it's not really worth trying to convert an xc bike.

everything is different. different geometry on the frame, different fork, cranks, pedals, wheels, stem, bars.... everything...

i suggest just keeping an eye out on craigslist to pick up a used DJ bike.

.....or you may also consider a 24" bmx cruiser. i frequently see DK General Lee or DK Fury on craigslist for around $150. they are $280 new. rigid forks are better for commuting anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    used DJ bikes are waaay cheap. Dont even consider modding your XC you'll just end up buying more parts (been there done that). Get a nice used DJ frame around 100 bucks and build it up or look around for a complete bike. New bikes start out around 4 bills so a decent used one shouldnt cost an arm and a leg. well maybe a leg.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Haro makes cheap complete djs with proven geometry you find on much more expensive models