the giant.

chainstays too long?

right now i have an all mountain hardtail with a 170mm fork. im trading that for a 130mm fork to make it more jump worthy while still keeping it trail worthy. ive owned dj bikes in the past, so i know how they should ride. the chainstays are 16.4" long (with vertical dropouts). is this too long to be jump worthy? the build i have is strong enough (built it up for freeride) but im worried about the ride characteristics. i know the toptube will be high for jumping, but i can cope with that.

with the 130mm fork it will be 16.4" chainstays, around 13" bb height, around 67 degree headtube with 23.5" toptube. would the frame jump fine or would it be my best bet to find a frame with shorter chainstays (but can still hit the trails well) or just go for it?

mtbr member
    Trek's dirt jumper, the Trek Ticket has a 16.7" chainstay.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    yea, 16.4" is pretty damn short.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

the giant.
    i wouldnt say its damn short. my old dj bike had 14.5" chainstays. to me, 14.5-15.5 chainstays are short

and i decided to resurrect my bmx instead of trying to make my hardtail into a jump bike.

mtbr member
    For a reference, Kona Shred and Stuff have 16.7" chainstays, longer than yours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That is about the same length as my FS bike chain stays. They feel long to me as well and not super easy to get up on the back tire. But, with quite a bit of air in the shock and the forks it is becoming easier to pop off of stuff and bunnyhop. I was able to bunnyhop 18" plus snow piles after the increase in air. This is on a Transition Bandit trail bike. Dropper seat post is awesome as well.

Thinking about a hard tail as well and would want super short stays and probably only a 140mm fork and not too slack. I don't think I will ever be content sitting and pedaling.

What bike do you have?

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    That is about the same length as my FS bike chain stays. They feel long to me as well and not super easy to get up on the back tire. But, with quite a bit of air in the shock and the forks it is becoming easier to pop off of stuff and bunnyhop. I was able to bunnyhop 18" plus snow piles after the increase in air. This is on a Transition Bandit trail bike. Dropper seat post is awesome as well.

Thinking about a hard tail as well and would want super short stays and probably only a 140mm fork and not too slack. I don't think I will ever be content sitting and pedaling.

What bike do you have?
    its a handbuilt frame by stout bikes. its a stout phantom i guess. i got it used from a guy and he had it built up