mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Chain Tensioner VS. Half Link Chain

I'm seriously considering getting a half link as I'm tired of my POS Surly. So let's hear some opinions on half link chains!

Meh.
    A half link will only offer so much fine tuning. Do you have vertical dropouts? You should try a Rennen or DMR tensioner that doesn't pivot. Or zip tie the Surly Tensioner to the chainstay so that it can't flop around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah....I've got vertical dropouts. I was looking at the DMR's. They seemed nice....but just needing the chain and nothing else seems so enticing and simple.

Meh.
    Unless you have a magic ratio, you'll probably still need a tensioner. Try it. You can order single half-links too.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Will,

Give me your thoughts; I just got some 24" specific drops and I need to dial in my chain to the half link to really get it right, and I see the the individual KHC half links are for 3/32nd chains; I don't think these will work with my sram PC-1, unless I'm confused?

I have a Blackspire 36t DH chainring for SS, and a Surly 17t 3/32 stainless rear cassette cog.

I have the Sram PC-1 SS chain, and I like it bc it's really wide and burly; it's specs are 7.8mm wide and 1/2x1/8.

What would be a comparable half link to my PC-1 that's around $30?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    Will,

Give me your thoughts; I just got some 24" specific drops and I need to dial in my chain to the half link to really get it right, and I see the the individual KHC half links are for 3/32nd chains; I don't think these will work with my sram PC-1, unless I'm confused?

I have a Blackspire 36t DH chainring for SS, and a Surly 17t 3/32 stainless rear cassette cog.

I have the Sram PC-1 SS chain, and I like it bc it's really wide and burly; it's specs are 7.8mm wide and 1/2x1/8.

try this one

i use a 1/8 half-link on my normal chain, but can't remember where i got the big half link from.

personally i think magic gears are terrible...all my experience with one has been hard wheel removals and sudden chain derailments. i know some of you have use them with success...but i think one is really better off with a tensioner at least.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Well I have sliding drops, and I can't take advantage of keeping them totally slammed without a half link.

Not to mention my rear hookworm is 2.5", and where it sits right now is in a position where the widest part of the tire is between the narrowest part of the chainstay yolk, so that's just not enough clearance. It's like 1mm an either side.

I can get nearly .75 of an inch more off my chainstay if I can just find the right halflink.

The actual KHC halflinks for sale are too small to work with my PC-1 I believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will,

Thanks for hijacking my thread.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    My bad. They're both relevant questions pertaining to half links, are they not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My bad. They're both relevant questions pertaining to half links, are they not?
    Yeah. I was half joking. I'm just annoyed that it's going to probably be a bigger pain in the ass to run a half-link without a tensioner than it would be to run a normal chain with a tensioner.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow
    Yeah. I was half joking. I'm just annoyed that it's going to probably be a bigger pain in the ass to run a half-link without a tensioner than it would be to run a normal chain with a tensioner.
    You should see which option is the least expensive. If you're running an 3/32" chain you should go with the individual half links first bc it seems that most bike shops carry them, and they're $3.50 a piece.

I also heard the Rohloff style tensioners are really good, but that's from guys riding FS Doubles, so Will's suggestion of the DMR/Rennen will probably be better for you.

You may even have to use both a halflink and tensioner like me if you really want to dial in if you don't have a magic ratio; if you want to go balls out you can always look at an eccentric hub, like the ENO from White Industries or something to that effect. Expect to spend $200 for a hub/freewheel though.

It all depends on if you want to pull the trigger on a dedicated SS ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You should see which option is the least expensive. If you're running an 3/32" chain you should go with the individual half links first bc it seems that most bike shops carry them, and they're $3.50 a piece.

I also heard the Rohloff style tensioners are really good, but that's from guys riding FS Doubles, so Will's suggestion of the DMR/Rennen will probably be better for you.

You may even have to use both a halflink and tensioner like me if you really want to dial in if you don't have a magic ratio; if you want to go balls out you can always look at an eccentric hub, like the ENO from White Industries or something to that effect. Expect to spend $200 for a hub/freewheel though.

It all depends on if you want to pull the trigger on a dedicated SS ride.
    I'm unsure as to what I want to do now. I have a Jamis Eureka. It's cheaply converted to SS. The surly I use just doesn't cut it. I really like the look of bikes without tensioners but I am unwilling to spend 200 bucks. I guess I'll just suck it up and get a new tensioner. I was looking at the DMR's......Do you guys have any experience with them? I've seen good reviews but also some terrible reviews. I'm unsure of which to believe. I also happen to need a new chain.....So can you recommend me a brand that's strong but also has a good stylish look to it? I mean...I know it's just a chain but I'm trying to make my ugly bike look better cheaply. lol.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Dude for SS there's no substitute for the Sram PC-1. It's like a freakin motocross chain.

And it's $10.

EDIT: I just found a shop here in town with a Shadow Conspiracy halflink. Picking it up after work, but it's $40. That's getting bent over. But I guess they're really solid halflinks.

Anyone got any experience with these?
    Last edited by Yo!; 03-17-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I'm unsure as to what I want to do now. I have a Jamis Eureka. It's cheaply converted to SS. The surly I use just doesn't cut it. I really like the look of bikes without tensioners but I am unwilling to spend 200 bucks. I guess I'll just suck it up and get a new tensioner. I was looking at the DMR's......Do you guys have any experience with them? I've seen good reviews but also some terrible reviews. I'm unsure of which to believe. I also happen to need a new chain.....So can you recommend me a brand that's strong but also has a good stylish look to it? I mean...I know it's just a chain but I'm trying to make my ugly bike look better cheaply. lol.
    You know Sheldon Brown offered a few methods to get a magic ratio or dial in those last remaining quarter inches. He even suggests flattening a section of the axle to allow it to pull back just that much more. Couldn't hurt to see what he says about it.

www.sheldonbrown.com

dirt rules
    Halflink chains suck.
    Expensive, and they seem to wear your chainring down faster.
    A half link moves the axle about 1/4" a full link about 1/2".
    Between chain and sprocket wear, you'll have a really hard time keeping decent chain tension, EVEN IF (not likely) you find that magic combination that lets you get away without a tensioner.
    Save yourself a lot of grief, and just buy a Rennen.

dirt rules
    So can you recommend me a brand that's strong but also has a good stylish look to it? I mean...I know it's just a chain but I'm trying to make my ugly bike look better cheaply. lol.
    http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/Rollenlager_Desc.htm

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Well what do you think about a half link chain on a setup with sliding dropouts?

I want to keep running 24"s and I just bought the drops to keep it 24" specific, and I can get at least a 1/2 to 3/4 an inch off my chainstay if I throw a half link in the mix. I simply can't get my PC-1 short enough to keep the drops slammed, and there's no individual half links available to fit my 1/8 PC-1.

Would you say that chainring wear happens more frequently when running half links w microgearing?

Meh.
    The PC1 is actually available in 2 versions. And it is hardly the end-all to SS chains. A single half link will allow you to adjust by 1/4 inch. A full half link chain is expensive and usually heavier. Get the single half link. There are 1/8 half links available. KMC, Izumi, and Gusset all make one.

EndersShadow, a non-spring loaded tensioner is your best bet. You could always zip tie your current tensioner to the stay to keep it from flopping around. Or you can run a ghost ring.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    can you post a pic of a ghost ring setup?

Meh.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I bought the Shadow half link and a single 1/8" half link yesterday. The single 1/8" worked with the PC-1, but it still left about a 1/4" of available chainstay.

That was ok by me; that half link chain, although $40, is amazing. It looks badass for one, but the thing is a beast and allowed me to slide my drops completely forward while still keeping great tension. I only needed to use the tugnuts to center up the back wheel. With the 15.25" chainstay, the difference feels like a sedan vs. a coupe, and the bike pops into manual with the flick of the cranks. It's amazing.

I'll keep my PC-1 as a back up, but I definitely think the shadow half link is a high quality part. Make sure you have a burly chainbreaker though.

mtbr member
    I personally use a DMR on my converted ss xc bike and it works great never had a problem at all. I run 2 different gears in the back and always have a tool with me so depending where i am riding i just switch the chain over an retighten the DMR

mtbr member
    with vertical dropouts i would say go with a tensioner.
    as you use the chain it 'stretches'. so your once perfectly tensioned chain is slack. horizontal dropouts are a bit more forgiving in that aspect
    i ride my bi*ch hard