mtbr member
    May 2006

chain grinding noise

hey guys can uhelp me with this, my chain keeps making grinding nosies when i put pressure into riding eg. when goin up hills. can u tell me wots rong
    Last edited by d-boy000; 09-25-2006 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-boy000
    hey guys can uhelp me with this, my chain keeps making grinding nosies when i put pressure into riding eg. when goin up hills. can u tell me wots rong
    Are you running gears or SS?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    running gears but its the ones at the front that i reckon are making the noise.

Meh.
    Are you cross-chaining? Don't. Front derailleur may need an adjustment.

If it's a creaking, check the chainring bolts for tightness. It could also be the bottom bracket.

Or it's possible that you just have a crappy chainline.

Oh yeah, lube your chain.

Also, if you just replaced your chain, it's possible that your cogs are worn. You get a crunchy feeling before you start getting chainskip.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i juss took it to a lbs and they said it might be the bb and they have to overhaul it wot does bb ovverhaul mean?

Meh.
    That's something you should've asked the shop. Why would you let them do something if you don't know what it is? They overhaul your bottom bracket...

They repack it with grease... Tell them to tape the threads with PTFE teflon tape.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i didnt let them do it the guy reckons its gona be a bb overhaul but he aint gonna chek it till tommorow.
    and is a bb overhaul juss replacing grease? is the grease some special kind or is it juss grease coz he said if he did overhaul it it would cost $35 aus thats around 26$ us

I post too much.
    The bottom bracket is the set of bearings in which the spindle of your crank sits(if you still don't know where it is, I'll post a picture). Overhauling a bb consists of pulling off the cranks(you need a special tool for this, you probably don't have it) then unthreading the BB, cleaning it all up, repacking with grease or all out changing the bearings(if they are too worn) and putting it all back together.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    but how can that cause a grinding/ clicking noise its all fine when u spin the cranks backwards (no noise ) is only when u stand up and pedal, u hear the cliing noise. woh, snaky how did u no didnt have the sepecial tool to tkae off cranks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Overhauling a bb consists of pulling off the cranks(you need a special tool for this, you probably don't have it) then unthreading the BB, cleaning it all up, repacking with grease or all out changing the bearings(if they are too worn) and putting it all back together.

umm i like to see you replace the bearings on an isis drive or square taper for that mater. overhauling will constist of pulling it out, wipeing off the bb shell and bb and the greaseing it all back up and then tightening it all up. takes about 30min of actual time to do this plus the cost of grease...so 26 is not a crazy asking price

for future purposes i would say go buy a bb/crank puller tool. they cost 20-30 and then you can tighten/overhaul your bb/cranks whenever u need to and it will be a 1 time cost. plus if you ever buy new cranks u can put them on yourself

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    The bottom bracket is the set of bearings in which the spindle of your crank sits(if you still don't know where it is, I'll post a picture). Overhauling a bb consists of pulling off the cranks(you need a special tool for this, you probably don't have it) then unthreading the BB, cleaning it all up, repacking with grease or all out changing the bearings(if they are too worn) and putting it all back together.
    Have fun trying to replace sealed cartridge bearings.

For loose or caged ball bearings, maybe.

The cranks and the bb will both need a special tool. And the bb is reverse threaded on one side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you would be suprised at the force that a pedal stroke makes. think about how each crank is basically off ballance and you put your weight on that every downward push