mtbr member
    Aug 2006

chain giudes...please help!

i recently purchased a used 03 specialized P.2 w/dual drive in the front and i need to get a chain giude....ive noticed that there are only a few out there that will work with a dual drive system...i found these few and im wondering which one is the best one and how much better it is than the rest..these are the 4 that i found: blackspire dewlie; E-13 DRS; MRP LRP; and the MRP E-type LRP....i also wanted to know what the difference between the 2 mrp models...is one of them for a european BB?...any other out there that i missed...any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance

-mat rivera

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    e13 drs,, or you ditch the granny ring and go single, then get a guide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks fiddy...i thought about ditching the granny ring but i'll be riding trails on the weekends with this bike and the extra gears will help...so the e-13 is the best out of the above mentioned...i was leaning towards mrp...but thats was only because of the way it looked...i may set up an evil imperial frame if i find myself doing alot of urban/street riding and have a bike just for street

mtbr remember
    e-type means it fits under the drive-side bottom-bracket cup next to the bb shell, like and "e-type" front derailleur. Since you have a P-series, you don't have to worry about this, since you have ISCG tabs. The etype is basically for bikes that don't have those tabs.

I'd personally go single ring in front, if you do a lot of climbing, then just go with a single 32 (or possibly smaller..) chainring. That's what I do, and I can hack most climbs...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Meh.
    It's pretty common for ISCG tabs to be welded on incorrectly, or for them to bend/crack. I'd just use the e-type adapter plate from the very start.

I like bikes!!!
    you should also check out Montara Designs Heim 3 guide here http://www.ridesfo.com/servlet/Detail?no=24

That or go to a single 32t and 11-32 in back. Work on your spin as well, it will help your climbing tremendously.

cheers-
    RIOT!-

I'm big in Japan

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot
    you should also check out Montara Designs Heim 3 guide here http://www.ridesfo.com/servlet/Detail?no=24

That or go to a single 32t and 11-32 in back. Work on your spin as well, it will help your climbing tremendously.

cheers-

TruVativ also has a shiftguide, somewhat similar to that in idea, but it's only for a 2ring & bash setup... but I've never used either so I can't tell ya' what's up with either...

so, fast14riot, where are you big in Japan?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the lrp doesnt mount like a normal chainguide, it uses bolts to pinch onto the bb shell, dont know if that makes sense or not but it doesnt use an adapter plate or ISCG tabs. the e-type lrp is one that will work with an e-type front der. most if not all chainguides for ISCG will come with an adapter plate to run behind the bb for frames without tabs.

I like bikes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    so, fast14riot, where are you big in Japan?

It's a song by Tom Waits that I happen to like, you should check it out...

I think Epitaph records has him signed.

Also that isn't me in my Avatar its an album cover for Mick Fleetwood, co founder of Fleetwood Mac.

Cheers-
    RIOT!-

I'm big in Japan

Meh.
    LRP is pinched between the frame and the bb flange, then two small set screws bite into the frame to keep it firmly in place. That's how that works.

I liked the LRP, and it even managed to keep the chain on alright with just one ring.

I'm running a e13 SRS now. Awesome guide, though a bit heavy.