pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Can I run a 130mm fork on an STP?

eh, get ready for a bunch a noob type questions over the next few weeks...
    *is it just me, or does the search function not function?

I'm in the market for a new frame, it looks like it's going to be a Giant STP.

Currently, I have an old Diamond Back Sorrento frame with some decent parts.

I see most of the STP completes come with 100mm forks. I have a DJ 2 with 130mm. I realise this will make the headtube more slack on the STP but will it make the bike horribly unridable?

Thanks.

dirt rules
    I'd be more worried about breaking the frame.
    It's going to put the BB pretty high, and slack the front end a lot, but if you are just riding trails, it shouldn't be too bad.
    Urban and DJs will be awkward.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    dammit.

well, any suggestion on another frame that isn't super retarded expensive and that I can run quick release/gears on?

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ok, I'm a bit of a retart..

when I bought the fork in 2002, it was five inches of travel. I bought a kit to drop it down to 4 inches... looking at a conversion from inches to mm online I see that 4 inches is around 100mm. So I should be fine. freakin sweet.

Now to sell enough blood and sperm so that I can buy the frame....

mtbr member
    good luck on the blood and sperm ordeal... please dont post pics or details of that.

I AM I AM
    Not true, last year the Aussie STP Pro (same frame as STP 1,2,3 and 0) came stock with a Rock Shox Pike (95-140mm travel). Your bike would be fine with anything up to 140mm travel (depending on the fork Axle to Crown measurement as this can differ between brands).

I had a Pike on mine for a while when I was having a go at DH, now that I have a DH bike I've got a Tora on the STP and I just changed the travel from 100mm back to 130mm because it feels better to me (I don't dirt jump with it)

Yes if you got crazy and put more than say 150mm travel up front then frames have been known to crack around the head tube.