Thread: Can it be done

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Can it be done

I have a Haro Backtrail 24. Can it be outfitted like a Steel Reserve ? You know , front shock and disc brakes ? If so , what parts would I need, general specs, brands you recommend etc.?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wade-19 View Post
    I have a Haro Backtrail 24. Can it be outfitted like a Steel Reserve ? You know , front shock and disc brakes ? If so , what parts would I need, general specs, brands you recommend etc.?
    Thanks
    No, at least not in a good way. The problem is that a suspension fork is taller than the rigid fork that is on your bike.

A typical 24" BMX fork is about 14 1/2 inches (368.3mm) from center of axle up to the crown (i.e. where the bottom bearing race sits).

A typical 80mm or 100 travel suspension fork is between 18" and 19" from axle to crown. (457mm up to 482mm).

So if you put a tall fork on a "non-suspension corrected" frame, like a 24" BMX Haro Backtrail, you'll raise the front end 4 inches. Your bottom bracket will be too high and the front end will feel and look chopppered out. I'm not saying it's not rideable--I've seen it done . . . but it's not an optimal setup.

However, there are 24"-wheel mtbmx frames out there that ARE suspension-corrected and intended for 24" wheels. Like this Union Street Molly Maguire:

or this guy's DMR:

anyone have a pic of a bmx with mtb shocks - BMXmuseum.com Forums

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info. So, I could use my components with a new frame and fork ?
    Also, could I skip the fork and install disk brakes on my current bike ? What would I need to replace ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wade-19 View Post
    Thanks for the info. So, I could use my components with a new frame and fork ?
    Also, could I skip the fork and install disk brakes on my current bike ? What would I need to replace ?
    You probably could not use many of the parts from the Backtrail. It depends which new frame you were to get. The Backtrail has a regular Aheadset while some/most newer Bmx bikes and some Mtb's use integrated headsets.

Depending what year your Backtrail is, it probably has an American bottom bracket. Newer Bmx frames have either mid or Spanish bb, while many Mtb have "euro" bb's. The Backtrail cranks have an 8-spline spindle that I'm not certain, but pretty sure, does not work with a mid, Spanish, or euro bb.

Next, your rear wheel has 110 mm spaces hub )the Bmx size. If you get an Mtb the rear triangle will be spaced for a 135mm Mtb hub. Although some 24 Mtb's are 110 like the Union Street and NS Capital.

For disc brakes you need disc brake hubs. The disc is bolted onto the hub. Your frame and fork also need spots to mount the brake to. So, that ain't gonna happen with a Backtrail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info.