mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Can anybody recommend a good BMX bike?

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a BMX bike to play around on and learn some tricks. It won't see any off-road action, so mostly just playing around on the street and park. I'd like to spend between $300-500.

My local bike shop sells Redline and DK so I was looking at the following...

DK 4 Pack and DK Dayton... http://www.dkbicycles.com/bikes/bikes.html

Redline Link 7.1... http://www.redlinebicycles.com/frees...nk7point1.html

Any other bikes I might consider? I know there are lot of brands out there but I'm new to the BMX scene and not familiar with too many of them. Thanks in advance

Air Junkie
    The Dayton for sure in my opinion! DK's are amazing for the money.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

Dk

DK 4 pack or 6 pack
    DK Dayton or Cleveland

DK's @ Danscomp

Size Chart

Local Paperboy Hero
    Check out Mirraco. It's one of the newest, raddest companies out right now. I see that the Fivestar retails for $350.

http://www.mirrabikeco.com/

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Check out Mirraco. It's one of the newest, raddest companies out right now. I see that the Fivestar retails for $350.

http://www.mirrabikeco.com/
    The Blend 2 & 3 would be my pics I hadn't heard of these yet though I knew Haro wasn't producing the Mirra models.
    Thanks for the link!!!

mtbr remember
    even though I've never met the guy in person, I have to say, I have a low regard and probable dislike of Dave Mirra, the personality he shows and portrays is just like a little kid having temper tantrums and so wanting and materialistic.... that said, can't deny he straight-up fycking rips.... but I don't think I would buy one of his bikes.

GotMoto?, are you set on buying from your lbs? what other brands can they get in, I'd have a few others to recommend... but, if it's between redline and dk, I'd recommend DK.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    GotMoto?, are you set on buying from your lbs? what other brands can they get in, I'd have a few others to recommend... but, if it's between redline and dk, I'd recommend DK.
    I'm not set on buying from my LBS necessarily, and not really tied down to Redline or DK. Let me know what other brands/models you'd recommend.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    I'm not set on buying from my LBS necessarily, and not really tied down to Redline or DK. Let me know what other brands/models you'd recommend.
    well, then, the next question I guess... are you set on buying a complete, or building one up yourself?? (the latter being the route I always like best).

The new Eastern completes are nice, with their integrated seatclamp, some light frames. I like the '07 AOS, which might be in your range. WTP always has some good complete offerings...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    well, then, the next question I guess... are you set on buying a complete, or building one up yourself?? (the latter being the route I always like best).

The new Eastern completes are nice, with their integrated seatclamp, some light frames. I like the '07 AOS, which might be in your range. WTP always has some good complete offerings...
    Definitely go complete on this. I've built bikes in the past (just recently a Kona Cowan) and always end up spending a ton LOL. For this bike I just want to buy something and go ride.

That 07 Eastern AOS looks pretty sweet, and it is in my price range. But is it spec'd any better than the DK Dayton, which is right around the same price ($499)?

mtbr remember
    Definitely go complete on this. I've built bikes in the past (just recently a Kona Cowan) and always end up spending a ton LOL. For this bike I just want to buy something and go ride.

That 07 Eastern AOS looks pretty sweet, and it is in my price range. But is it spec'd any better than the DK Dayton, which is right around the same price ($499)?

yeah, I gotcha...
    well, in my opinion, 48 hole/spoke wheels are completely unecessary, and super heavy, which the Dayton has. But then again, some heavier riders who case a lot of stuff feel the need for 48's, but you hardly ever see pros rocking them (at least from my observation).
    I think the AOS is spec'ed just a bit nicer, since it's hubs already come with the tiny 9t 1-pc driver, instead of just a 12t cog on a cassette, and the AOS has the small 25t on the front, vs the Dayton's 30something t... other than that, they might be pretty similar in comparison. What tt length are you looking at? (tt length is the primary measurement for bmx bikes, kinda different than mtb) did you have a chance to take a look at any of the wethepeople, or maybe FIT bikes offerings?

look at albesdotcom as well. they can build you a custom up from choice parts and almost any frame on the market, for just a bit more than your price range allows. just another option for you to take a look at, and I've dealt with the albe's guys on a few occasions with very good luck.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Browse around here, it might help...

http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?se...tml=bikes.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, I gotcha...
    well, in my opinion, 48 hole/spoke wheels are completely unecessary, and super heavy, which the Dayton has. But then again, some heavier riders who case a lot of stuff feel the need for 48's, but you hardly ever see pros rocking them (at least from my observation).
    I think the AOS is spec'ed just a bit nicer, since it's hubs already come with the tiny 9t 1-pc driver, instead of just a 12t cog on a cassette, and the AOS has the small 25t on the front, vs the Dayton's 30something t... other than that, they might be pretty similar in comparison. What tt length are you looking at? (tt length is the primary measurement for bmx bikes, kinda different than mtb) did you have a chance to take a look at any of the wethepeople, or maybe FIT bikes offerings?

look at albesdotcom as well. they can build you a custom up from choice parts and almost any frame on the market, for just a bit more than your price range allows. just another option for you to take a look at, and I've dealt with the albe's guys on a few occasions with very good luck.
    I'm about 5'9" tall with a 30-31" inseam. I saw a few BMX size charts that recommended I go with a TT length of 20"-20.5" so the AOS and Dayton are close to my range, although the DK Dayton is 20.75". I'll have to stop by my LBS to size some of these.

I'll check out albes.com but I'm weary of going custom because I always end up picking high end parts...and I'll end up with an $800 BMX bike which I don't really need LOL.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will vote REDLINE, as it is the best. DK is cool, but the link 7 is so much cooler....

Plus if you have ANY problems with a redline I am sure you would be taken care of!!!!

Dain
    Redline Warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Seriously, there are lots of good bikes out.

Haro, Redline, DK, MirraCo, Fit, Eastern, Diamond Back.

Hell, GT and Mongoose still put out good bikes despite being part of Pacific Cycles.

Look around and see what you like, just make sure it has a 100% chromoly frame & fork.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    ..., just make sure it has a 100% chromoly frame & fork.
    ^True That^

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Standards are the best. I have a 250-S, but they don't offer completes which seems to be what he is after.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sun of a bich. Now I'm toying with the idea of building a BMX bike LOL. This always seems to happen. I haven't bought a complete bike in years because I always decide I want something customized to my taste, but I ALWAYS end up spending way more than I should have.

I'm going to put together a spreadsheet and see how much this will cost me. Let the fun begin...

mtbr remember
    Sun of a bich. Now I'm toying with the idea of building a BMX bike LOL. This always seems to happen. I haven't bought a complete bike in years because I always decide I want something customized to my taste, but I ALWAYS end up spending way more than I should have.

I'm going to put together a spreadsheet and see how much this will cost me. Let the fun begin...

did you look at the albe's "completes" they have a section where you choose through a set list of parts that they put on a frame for you, for a base price.

yeah, I used to be obsessed with standard, haha, "STA" bro!
    but now there are others that catch my eye, such as Sunday, and macneil has some sick frames and parts as well...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    did you look at the albe's "completes" they have a section where you choose through a set list of parts that they put on a frame for you, for a base price.

yeah, I used to be obsessed with standard, haha, "STA" bro!
    but now there are others that catch my eye, such as Sunday, and macneil has some sick frames and parts as well...
    Yes, I'm going to play around on albes.com and see what I can come up with.

What are your thoughts on Federal frames? I like that Steven Hamilton dude and they have a signature frame for like $260. Wonder if that would be a good starting point? Why not ride the frame of a rider you really admire, right?