Hip
    mtbr member

Buying Wheels...Suggestions?

My bike has 3/8 Axles. I am a complete Newb to the park bikes and have no clue what to ask for or look for. Id like to poke around on the net and see whats out there.

Someone pointed me to Locos on sale for a good price but I have no clue if these will work. Anyone have suggestions??

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=60539335

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Outlaws in one of the many colors they come in... Many, many places carry them

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...lset+0809.aspx
    Last edited by JGill; 02-21-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Hip
    mtbr member
    I am assuming through Axle means the regular axle with nuts?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    With a thru axle, basically the hub looks hollow... the axle is actually a part of the fork (and comes with the fork, not the hub). Look up the DJ1, it has the thru axle. The DJ3 that your bike is pictured with is not a thru axle it's the standard 3/8 bolt-on.

One can get more technical about it but that's a basic explanation.

Hip
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    With a thru axle, basically the hub looks hollow... the axle is actually a part of the fork (and comes with the fork, not the hub). Look up the DJ1, it has the thru axle. The DJ3 that your bike is pictured with is not a thru axle it's the standard 3/8 bolt-on.

One can get more technical about it but that's a basic explanation.
    So I can assume these rims will not work? How do I find rims with 3/8 axles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    My bike has 3/8 Axles. I am a complete Newb to the park bikes and have no clue what to ask for or look for. Id like to poke around on the net and see whats out there.

Someone pointed me to Locos on sale for a good price but I have no clue if these will work. Anyone have suggestions??

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=60539335
    Locos convert to 20mm thru axle in the front, but you are stuck with 9mm QR in the rear. Not the best option for a park bike, especially with horizontal dropouts.

Azonic Outlaws are probably the cheapest good alternative. Transition Revolutions and Atomlab Pimps are great options a little further up the food chain. All have thru axles front and rear.

What frame and fork are you running?

Good luck.
    Last edited by Toasted BLT; 02-22-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Hip
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasted BLT
    Locos convert to 20mm thru axle in the front, but you are stuck with 9mm QR in the rear. Not the best option for a park bike, especially with horizontal dropouts.

Azonic Outlaws are probably the cheapest good alternative. Transition Revolutions and Atomlab Pimps are great options a little further up the food chain. All have thru axles front and rear.

What frame and fork are you running?

Good luck.
    Specialized P Bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    Specialized P Bike
    Assuming it's a P1 with a DJ3, the Azonic Outlaws would likely be your best bet for a tough, low cost wheelset. You would have to use the 9mm QR adapter with the Azonic Outlaw up front and the 10mm stepdown axle with the Outlaw should work fine for the back. Atomlab has their Pimp wheelset with a 9mm bolt on in the front and a 10mm bolt on in the rear, which would be a little higher end solution. The Transition Revolutions fall off the radar screen if you don't have a 20mm fork.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Toasted BLT; 02-22-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Hip
    mtbr member
    It has DJ2s on it. The spec say they have 9mm dropouts. They had 3/8" on there which some said is like 9 1/2 MM roughly. So 10mm will not fit the front? I go with 9mm?

And the 10mm thru axle will work on the horizontal dropouts in the rear? In other words I will get the rim and it will come with the axle and nuts? Thanks for your help.

Meh.
    The Outlaw does not come with the 10mm axle. You will have to purchase the Momentum step down axle. The 10mm will fit fine.

The front axle is not 10mm. The QR will fit fine.

IMO, the Transition wheelset is not any nicer than the Azonic.

mtbr member
    Hey Will, this momentum step down axle, does it go from the 12 to 10mm? Not to threadjack but he has an older Kona Stinky and wanted to get the Outlaws. So he's limited to 10mm which ruled out the outlaws, but if he can get an axle like you speak of that'd be great.

Hip
    mtbr member
    It goes from 12mm to 3/8 which is 9.58 mm or something like that.

mtbr member
    good deal, yea I just did a search on the axle and found the info. Thanks for the help and sury for the jack.