USB Rep'n

bunnyhop m f'in 180, what's wrong w/ me?

Okay, I can't figure out for the life of me what is wrong but I can't seem to do this relatively simple trick. I can spin just fine on ramps. 180's, disasters, even 3's aren't a problem. I can also bunnyhop reasonably well. Put the two together on flat ground though and the best I can manage is an awkward 120... before I quit riding and take up skateboarding, can someone please hook me up on this trick? Thanks n advance.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

I post too much.
    Just like skateboarding and snowboarding, spin your shoulders and the rest should follow through. Gather some speed and commit. Don't give up just because you can't get this one trick.

mtbr member
    i know what you mean. this trick made me (and often still does) very angry. But I have gotten better. To learn, do it at a slower speed. I start by doing a slight curve the oposite way i will spin, the curve back the way I spin (to get momentum) faster. as i start curving, i pull my front tire up (like bunny hop). when im about 70-90 degrees from where i start, i do the second part of the hop. I lift my legs and get the back wheel up. I kinda push the wheel around with my legs, and then down, landing slightly back tire first. then the back comes down. then i try to roll back outa it. my prblem comes when the back wheel comes down. i have to much force on the cranks, and it stops me from rolling back as good. thats what im workin on. hope that helps a bit.

mtbr member
    I'm working on this one as well and it's ugly.
    I hear people say curve opposite to start but it seems like you'd want to turn into the spin??

mtbr member
    yea, you curve opposite to start, then turn back into the spin. kinda gives you momentum

mtbr remember
    yeah, the ol' scandinavian flick, huh? fake'em out with a little juke to the right, then spin to the left and you'll drop'em everytime, heheh...

yeah, seriously, with a just straight bunny hop, I can't do it consistently like off of a curb lip or something. When I do the flat bunny hop to 180, I have a tendency to land rear tire first, locked up like a stall or fufan, and not rolling backwards... I don't know why, just a bad habit I can't break...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    So are you saying you can only do it with the flat bunnyhop? I can't get it all the way around with that method. The rear tire spin method seems like less of a mid-air rotation is required.

I post too much.
    I'd have to have it on tape to know exactly how I pull mine off, I do know I get full rotation, I just have trouble landing them.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by zaefod
    So are you saying you can only do it with the flat bunnyhop? I can't get it all the way around with that method. The rear tire spin method seems like less of a mid-air rotation is required.

who, me? not at all what I was saying.
    the "scandinavian flick" bit was just a joke, it's actually a term used in Rally racing, where before you enter a corner, you turn the opposite direction of the curve, then turn in hard just to unweight the rear tires to get some oversteer and drift through the corner...

I was saying that on flat ground I can't roll out of the 180's. I have a stupid unconcious tendency to stall on the back tire with crank pressure, instead of rolling out fakie. I think it helps to sit down upon landing 180, that way you can pedal backwards easier without your full weight on the pedals...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I destoyed my back rim and derialer learning this trick... Im thinking I didnt have enough pressure in my tires. Or Im doing them worng? lol I dont know.
    woooooooooo

Premium Member
    I found that if I do the Scan. Flick I end up pushing, not spinning on an axis.

I think what works best is doing it BMX style: fast. I go faster than I feel comfortable and just kinda pull quickly with my upper body. I think it's easier to do it this way.

mtbr member
    ya...i think doing Bunnyhop 180's on a 2-6 rig is definitely one of those tricks that is just naturally kind of difficult to learn. i can basically only pull a clean 180 off a jump of some sort or atleast off something with a decent lip. i think it is easy to pull them when in the air but just doing them on flat is wayyyy hard for me. just takes lots of practice(and high PSI in the tires.)

its kind of funny because on my 2-6 i cant really do a bunnyhop 180, yet on my friends 20 i can almost pull a bunnyhop 360...i think it does help learning on the small bike first.

USB Rep'n
    [quote=BikeSATORI] you turn the opposite direction of the curve, then turn in hard just to unweight the rear tires to get some oversteerquote]

very similar to how I ride spines. steer opposite, then throw it all up, back, and over.

Thanks all for commiserating with me and offering advice. Cummings, you're explanation made great sense to me. I'll be trying that at Rays tonight. I was trying to do it all at once, bunnyhop both tires, then spin. I think stat starting the spin just before unweighting the back migh be the key. Thanks. It's really quite embarassing. Like I said, I can 360 lips but on flat, it's like mcspazatronopolis!

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What would Afro Pat do?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    What would Afro Pat do?
    he'd say, just watch and do what I do. then he'd throw it down, pressure you into trying it again and again and again, and mock you after you eat sh!t! (all in the best of spirits of course....it's why I love that cat! figuratively speaking of course)

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There you go.... You know what to do. Wind up the opposite way, pull up, start spin, pull up back end, throw hips, land then blow your half cab out....lol

www.unionstreetbikes.com

mtbr member
    heres a vid that shows how to 180, as well as some other stuff like a regualr bunnyhop and a barspin. http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/video/i...3_78_1,00.html

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    Darn drifters, and rally drivers.

Riding Bikes now.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, the ol' scandinavian flick, huh? fake'em out with a little juke to the right, then spin to the left and you'll drop'em everytime, heheh...

yeah, seriously, with a just straight bunny hop, I can't do it consistently like off of a curb lip or something. When I do the flat bunny hop to 180, I have a tendency to land rear tire first, locked up like a stall or fufan, and not rolling backwards... I don't know why, just a bad habit I can't break...
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by jherich
    Darn drifters, and rally drivers.

Riding Bikes now.

heheh, yeah, now all the SCCA Pro-Rally Drivers are all saying, darn dirt-bike rider, comin' over here and think you can drive.... and now the season wraps up with Travis Pastrana dominating all of the old salty dogs and veteran drivers.... also have to note that Ken Block (prez of DC shoes) is also up there in the points, possibly finish with a podium in the championship too I think....
    I remember quite some time ago watching Valentino Rossi (some claim to be the worlds most gifted superbike rider who ever lived, but that's arguable) give a go at european rally, and he just crashed a lot and shrugged his shoulders....
    Now we see Travis just getting started... probably continue this until he's old and can't race MX anymore...
    And have to mention good ol' boy Ricky Carmichael (another champion mx rider) retiring from dirt bikes to race Nascar... who would have guessed... I think that kid just goes where the money is, and there wasn't enough for him on top of MX/SX apparantly. we'll see how he fairs in TRASHCAR next year, oh wait no, I probably won't cuz I never watch the stuff...
    Schralp it Heavy.