Gringo the magnificent

bunny hopping secrets

I know the best secret to bunny hopping is practice, but what are some things that will help me learn to go higher(my current best is like 1'2" on a good day) I practice two or three times a week but seem stuck at tthe 1 foot level.

--gringo

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    tuck the bike up as much as ya can, just imagin pullin it up to ya, oh and grunt really loudly it really helps

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    ooops

I post too much.
    You should do a search before posting. That said, I made a thread a while ago with a step by step pic sequence of a 2 foot bunny hop(personal best is around the 33' mark).

Here is the thread. Bunny Hopping......

tuck-n-roll master
    Try stacking stuff on top of whatever you're jumping. A brick here, a piece of wood there... You have to try to progress in small increments until you really have it dialed down. Definitely take a look at snaky69's thread. Just going out and trying to jump something significantly higher than normal is kind of dumb and potentially painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i find that i can always bunny hop higher when i have an obsticle in front of me. just messin around on flat ground i'm lucky to get up over a foot. but when i have a 2 1/2 foot ledge in front of me it's alot easier to get the bike up higher

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    You should do a search before posting.

hey, we gotta break the millenia mark by the new year!! c'mon! 1000 threads baby!
    let the newb's post up!
    just kidding, yeah, your vid sequence there is an excellent resource though!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    BMX basics has a really good tutorial.

http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    i find that i can always bunny hop higher when i have an obsticle in front of me. just messin around on flat ground i'm lucky to get up over a foot. but when i have a 2 1/2 foot ledge in front of me it's alot easier to get the bike up higher
    I have to agree with you there, it's the same for me.

resident dumbass
    I can only get over something about 8 inches. I'm trying desperately to feel able to post "1 step below decent" instead of "1 step above suck"

I practice by jumping a little wood pile in my yard. And of course, every curb I see.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

I post too much.
    You should post up a vid or something of yourself bunny hopping, so we can trouble shoot you :P

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    When I could only bunnyhop low objects it was because I was trying to do it all as one jump motion without a good pull.

The key to height is a very definite pull up/back on the bars like you are going to do a manual, but then you immediately jump up and push the bars forward. I went from about 6 or 8" to over 2 feet in one ride once I discovered the balance point and timing. When you put it all together the whole motion is easier and much slower than you think it will be.

Find a ledge that is too high for you to hop, maybe 18" or so. Ride towards it, pull the bars back and high enough so that you are easily and gracefully getting the front wheel up. Once you are comfortable with this, try adding the second motion.

Or maybe this won't help at all...

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    I can only get over something about 8 inches. I'm trying desperately to feel able to post "1 step below decent" instead of "1 step above suck"

I practice by jumping a little wood pile in my yard. And of course, every curb I see.

resident dumbass
    Hmmm, I'll have to call in a favor for a proper camera . . .

BTW: my manual is far from being good, but i don't think that makes a difference. It's getting better! I'm working on a basic lay back manual (not the official term I don't think), you know, while riding, pull up and balance? Anyway, I've gone from nothing to getting on the back wheel and losing my balance! YES!
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Local Paperboy Hero
    Lift weights.

mtbr member
    Push with your arms.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Lift weights.
    Been doing that for over 2 years. Helped somewhat for my biking, but it helped more with getting girls. I gained 35lbs in the last two years because of lifting weights. Mind you I was skinny as ****.