mtbr member
    Jul 2010

We the people ... Building up new bike - which brakes?

Hi There,

Currently in the process of building up a new bike over winter based on the Dartmoor Two6Player frame. It's going to be pretty high end and the only thing I still can't decide on is brakes.

The bike will be used for a mixed bag of things: street, pump, plus a little bit of dirt jump and trial-like riding.

I want this bike reliable, but not overweight.

These are the brakes I have been considering:

Formula RO
    Formula T1
    Hope Tech 3 V4

Anything you think I should be considering, or you think would be a better match for the build considering the intended purpose?

I need very decent stopping power, with good feel/feedback, that is still light in comparison. I don't want to overbuild this bike. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

mtbr member
    I think mechanical disc like Avid BB7 are great. Hydraulic seems like overkill on a DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey cmc - thanks for the reply!

Understood, but I worry that the BB7s won't have the fingertip stopping power I need when getting more trialsy. In saying that, I have never used mechanical discs so don't really have a comparison.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Hey cmc - thanks for the reply!

Understood, but I worry that the BB7s won't have the fingertip stopping power I need when getting more trialsy. In saying that, I have never used mechanical discs so don't really have a comparison.

What do you think?
    What have you used before? If you already like hydraulic, then I won't try to convince you to "downgrade." ; )

I don't really ride trials. Unless you count a bmx-style "abubaca" like this as being "trialsy" Abubaca the glich - YouTube
    My background is BMX, and I was pretty blown away by how good mechanical discs are (compared to bmx u-brakes), so I've seen no need to switch to hydraulic. I ride with one-finger braking all the time. The only time I've ridden hydraulic is on Downhill. But, whatever, get what you want !

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hydros are more responsive and adjustable but the stopping power is about the same IMO... my thing for switching from Bb7 to hydro is the fact that if you spine the bars with mechanicals it begins to compromise the brake feel, even with linear pull brakes. That is why I switched to hydros. I just went with some lower end shimano's simply because I had them laying around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think mechanical disc is enough for sure, it can make the tire lock up but I personally prefer the feel of a hydraulic.

I have heated up both enough to fade on a dj with a 140mm rotor but it was not while using the bike for DJ purposes, I was riding a descending trail that is over 20 min long and only having a rear brake demands a bit more of it haha.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Lightly salted
    I have mechanicals on my dj bike, u brakes on my bmx and hydro on my mountain bikes. The mechs blow away the u brakes, but are only slightly less powerful than hydros. If you're doing trail-type riding you might prefer the hydro as it has better modulation and stronger overall power with less effort at the lever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Building up new bike - which brakes?

Ok thanks guys. Yeah, for the single digit power and modulation I'll stick with hydros.

Still unsure which ones though. Formula brakes seem to require a bit of maintenance to keep functioning as they should.

I've had Hope before and they were great, just a pity that they weigh so much more than the formulas.

mtbr member
    have a look at the new Hope Race Evo E4's. 4 piston brakes with the lightweight race lever.
    i have a set of hope race evo X2's and hope race evo M4/X2 combo which is fantastic.
    Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!

mtbr member
    Shimano Saint
    Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anything Shimano will be the most trouble-free IMO. I use just a rear XT on my DJ, SLXs on my MTB. They seem pretty comparable to me in terms of feel and power, but on the DJ I only use them to keep my from flopping off the starting ramp. The SLXs have survived multiple days of lift-served DH w/o needing a bleed or service. I had to junk my Avids even though I preferred their feel because they would get hydro-locked whenever the temp rose about 100 here in the desert... cheap plastic pistons, apparently, would let fluid seep past them.

mtbr member
    What kind of trials stuff are you going to try: g-outs, nose manuals, rear wheel hops? Those, except nose manuals, are pretty difficult on a dj bike. DJ bikes typically have short stems and relatively high gear ratios. This makes many trials moves more difficult.

Another question, front and rear brakes?

That said, I use an Avid Elixir 7 with 160mm rotor (rear only). It won't stop on a dime, as stopping power comes from the front brake. DJ is about fluidity and brakes are just to check speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    What kind of trials stuff are you going to try: g-outs, nose manuals, rear wheel hops? Those, except nose manuals, are pretty difficult on a dj bike. DJ bikes typically have short stems and relatively high gear ratios. This makes many trials moves more difficult.
    Those moves: G outs, even simple nose manuals are really hard, I guess some more nose stalls with front brakes or foot jams aren't too hard, manuals and wheel rear hops aren't that difficult, easier on a trials bike but totally do able on dj or bmx bike

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    . DJ is about fluidity and brakes are just to check speed.
    agreed brakes are not that important for DJ and pump tracks or other more mtb/bmx skills like manuals, bunny hops... ect

mtbr member
    Sure, it depends on the gear ratio. I ride a 2.5:1 on my dj. Trials bikes I've ridden are down around 1.5:1, or lower. It makes a huge difference in keeping the front wheel off the ground.

Now we're getting off topic and discussing the same point from both ends. Cheers. It's over 20F here, time to ride. The jumps are frozen and perfect.