Legend
    Nov 2004

Building pumptrack / DJ; needs fork ideas

For the last few years, I have been doing small DJ and pumptrack stuff with my small XC bike. Decided this year to build up a bike while I am laid up here after knee surgery.

I have a frame (Cove Sanchez, 130mm fork max, thinking 100-120, lower probably better), wheels (Hope Pro II on Flows ... bolted rear, 20mm or 9mm QR front), and some shitty Crank Bros Iodine (I think) headset. The only major component I need now is a fork, and I am honestly pretty overwhelmed with options since I am pretty sure I am buying used.

What I am looking for, mainly, is reliability, stiffness, and keeping price reasonably low; weight is not a giant deal for me. I've seen a ton of Marzocchi DJ forks around, but I've been told they're very "dead" with damping and haven't personally used one. On my DH/FR rigs, I've had Boxxers and Totems which were absolute nightmares with reliability making me want to steer away from everything RS ... though this IS Whistler, I might be a bit harsh on the entire brand.

Is there some hidden gem of a fork that I don't know about? Seems like RS's present line doesn't really have an awesome DJ fork. I figure air is pretty much a given feature that'd be ideal, but are there any other adjustments that lend themselves well to DJ forks (rebound is a given)?

mtbr member
    I started with a QR Marz on my hardtail. It came with the bike and I used it for awhile, it was ok but clunky. Tried a RS Recon for awhile because it was a steal, bad idea, way too flexy. Next is a RS Argyle 409. Super stiff and feels bombproof, but lacks feel.

Later I upgraded to a Transition Double frame and switched components. That purple Argyle became an eyesore and couldn't match the feel of the RP23. I waited till I found a deal on a 831. Hands down the best fork I've ever tried. Super smooth and when you lock-out it really locks-out! Some say the 15 isn't as stiff as 20mm, but I can't tell. So much lighter and it "pushes" back on you in berms or pumps. FYI the 831 was only $100 more than the Argyle. Money well spent.

mtbr member
    i like my Manitou Gold Label Dirt Jump Series II (2008) fork a lot. manitou discontinued that fork; now they have the Circus Expert and Circus Pro. i'm not sure how those behave...

X-Fusion Velvet/Velour is also an option. i have a few friends who have them. they are light, can be aired up to be pretty stiff, and durable so far. some people call them the workingman's Fox.

Bikeman X-Fusion Velour 80 Black

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    rigid - you'll pop higher, pump faster, and progress quicker.

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    X2 for rigid, plus you'll learn how to land softly so it doesn't hurt & you'll become a better rider, rather than relying on the suspension fork to take the hits.
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I am debating between a used Pike (man, they REALLY don't hold their value AT ALL), and a rigid fork. The bike is cromo, so having a rigid fork might kinda be awesome. Have always hated the look of a rigid fork tho; IMO makes the bike look like a BMX, and nobody over 15 should be riding a BMX, let alone 32.

The weight advantage of the rigid would be the best part, but essentially eliminates the trail-viability of the rig. Thanks for the info, that X-Fusion looks to be pretty slick too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore View Post
    IMO makes the bike look like a BMX, and nobody over 15 should be riding a BMX, let alone 32. .
    Hmmm. Been to a bmx race lately and seen the full classes age 25-30, 30-35, 35+ categories? Ever ridden a 24" or 26" wheel bmx? Pump track riding IS bmx riding.

Brian Foster, at age 36:

Fitbikeco "Stay Fit" - Brian Foster - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OGJON View Post
    X2 for rigid, plus you'll learn how to land softly so it doesn't hurt & you'll become a better rider, rather than relying on the suspension fork to take the hits.
    Having moved from bmx (20" and 24") to DJ-mtb, I don't think a good sus fork detracts at all from pump track/dirt jump riding. If anything I'd say I've progressed even more, because of the smoothness and generally going bigger and faster. Most of your boost/pump comes from your feet and rear triangle of the bike. I don't disagree though that everyone should at least try rigid for a while, especially to break some bad habits.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Hmmm. Been to a bmx race lately and seen the full classes age 25-30, 30-35, 35+ categories? Ever ridden a 24" or 26" wheel bmx? Pump track riding IS bmx riding.

Brian Foster, at age 36:

Fitbikeco "Stay Fit" - Brian Foster - YouTube
    Oh, I know they exist. Mushc like bears riding bicycles exist; doesn't mean it doesn't look odd. I realise many people love BMX riding, I just think it looks odd seeing a "father" on a BMX.

mtbr member
    Oh, I know they exist. Mushc like bears riding bicycles exist; doesn't mean it doesn't look odd. I realise many people love BMX riding, I just think it looks odd seeing a "father" on a BMX.
    you clearly don't hang out at good pump tracks and dj's enough then.

two of my bro's from the trails. both 40+.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I switched to a rigid fork on my 26" pumptrack/ DJ bike when I got it and love it... It had a DJ2 on it. I'd definately recommend it if you're doing more pumptrack that jumping.

I also race it in the 36-40 cruiser class. Never realized I looked odd or shouldn't be doing it... I really enjoy going to the track with my kids, and it's great cross training for XC. The lines between MTB and BMX have really been blured with the DJ bikes.

-David

mtbr member
    nobody over 15 should be riding a BMX, let alone 32.
    I'm 37 and still ride my BMX although not as often since I got my DJ bike.

John Faure is 47 and rips
    Jon Faure conquers the Mega Ramp - YouTube

mtbr member
    I picked up a Rockshox Sektor several weeks back for my DJ/pumptrack bike. 20mm thru-axle, great damper, and highly adjustable air-spring. Lowered it from 150mm to 100mm and its rocking. Less than $400 for the fork brand new at aawyeah.com with free shipping as well.

It's pretty much an Argyle RCT but with an aluminum steerer rather than steel. Not a big issue for me but might be a concern if you're going really big. I've had the opposite experience from you and love RS as a brand, so easy to maintain their forks. Simple innards that just work really well.

That being said, I was looking for lightly used X-Fusion Vengeances to lower mainly just because I want to try one out.