mtbr member

building my evil - slammed fork?

I am building up my Evil Imperial frame and I normally consider myself an all-around rider. Bits of trail riding, urban, DJ and even the occasional skatepark ride.
    I have been wanting to experiment with more of a urban/dj setup on this bike and just use my full-suspension for trails.
    Anyway, what is the point of a "slammed" fork?
    Browsing around this forum I have been seeing alot of amazing builds running slammed forks and just wondered whether it was a case of not needing the travel or a geometry thing or what...
    I feel fine running a 4" fork but would not want to go over 5" for this type of riding.
    Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a question for the aol generation:

Is it really that hard to type "any" instead of "n e" or "your" instead of "ur"?

You are being judged by the way you post, whether you like it or not, and aolese conveys the fact that you're ("ur") not too bright.

p.s. The video was uninspiring, repetitious, and not very interesting. But at least he took the time to make one, unlike so many other folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    I am building up my Evil Imperial frame and I normally consider myself an all-around rider. Bits of trail riding, urban, DJ and even the occasional skatepark ride.
    I have been wanting to experiment with more of a urban/dj setup on this bike and just use my full-suspension for trails.
    Anyway, what is the point of a "slammed" fork?
    Browsing around this forum I have been seeing alot of amazing builds running slammed forks and just wondered whether it was a case of not needing the travel or a geometry thing or what...
    I feel fine running a 4" fork but would not want to go over 5" for this type of riding.
    Just curious.

I'll field this one as I sorta started this whole trend about 3 years back with my first slammed 66

The general idea of a lowered or "slammed " fork is that is that the bike will have a steeper head angle and lower B/B so it will become more stable that if it had a 4-6in single crown fork . This making it easier to ride in skate-parks and DJ , when pedaling hard toward a jump a shortened fork will "BOB" much less than a 4-6in fork .
    Some slammed forks also have the damping increased to help this problem and make the fork feel better in these riding situations .

But this idea get's taken a bit further with one of our Nemesis Project tuned forks .
    We change the internals for ramp up quicker so the fork reacts differently to harder hits from street , park and DJ use .

Some people have now started "slamming " other brands of forks thinking that they perform the same as one of our tuned forks .

I woulnt worry too much about this with your Evil Imperial , they ride better with 4-5 fork anyway . I saw a guy jumping one with a 6in Z-150 and it looked normal .
    Ride what feels right .. if it bobs too much and feels too chopped out for your taste then look into taking some travel out of the fork your running .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Sorry can't help you on the slammed info. I am going to slam my Z1's on my DJ for geo, rigidity and strength.

Post some pics of your rig. I love the look of the Evil Imperial.

Pro Crastinator
    i got a Nemesis tuned and slammed 65mm Z1 because i feel like i don't need the travel for the bikes intended use. it also more bushing overlap making the fork stiffer. that and i am trying to make the move toward less travel in general...

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    That was just the answer I was looking for. I don't think I will ever need to run a fork at less than 100mm...I was just checking out the Nemesis Project site and I like the idea of running a Z1 Sport reduced to 100mm via their custom tuning. Maybe if I get some money this summer I will consider it. I just spent all my hard-earned cash on this Imperial.

Is it really that hard to type "any" instead of "n e" or "your" instead of "ur"?

You are being judged by the way you post, whether you like it or not, and aolese conveys the fact that you're ("ur") not too bright.

p.s. The video was uninspiring, repetitious, and not very interesting. But at least he took the time to make one, unlike so many other folks.

mtbr member
    I am still building...waiting on reducers to run a standard headset in the 1.5" headtube.
    The bike won't be anything amazing because I am just using parts from my specialized for now. I will gradually put nicer parts on the Evil and tranfer the others back to the specialized as I go.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    an imperial, man you gots to have dh fork on that sucka!
    http://city4dev.city.fi/kuvagalleria.../32/757332.jpg

p.s. a dh fork would obviously suck for what your gonna ride