mtbr member

Build it right the first time

So I'm in the process of building up my first jump bike. I wouldn't really call myself a weight weenie but since almost every part will be new I mine as well save weight wherever I can. I've been shopping around for wheels. I don't want to spend more then $500 on a new wheelset and in all honesty I really don't want to spend anywhere near $500. I will though if its gonna get me a set of strong and light wheels. The problem is that almost every wheelset I check out comes in somewhere between 5 to 5.5 lbs. I see people talking about how the Azonic Outlaws are tough as nails but really heavy. Well it seems to me like they really dont' weigh anymore then most other wheelsets I've checked out. Is their a wheelset out there that comes in lighter then 5 lbs and is still heavy duty enough for dirt jumping? I'm about 210lbs so I know I can't get away with anything thats gonna come in at a really light weight but like I said, I'm just trying to find ways to keep the weight down before I build the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Check out the Transition Revolutions. Also check out the Halo SAS.

mtbr member
    Atomlab Pimp. Stronger and lighter than most. Under $500 for a custom (pick your color rim, spoke, and nipples) build and even cheaper for a stock pre-built.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on the different wheel suggestions. I've been trying to find someone that sells the Transitions other then Beyond Bikes (I refuse to shop from them). The Halo's looked cool but 48 spokes on the rear seemed a little overkill to me. Plus I haven't been able to find to many people on the board here who have anything to say about them positive or negative. Which is probably a good sign.

I really dig the Atomlab wheels. I've actually been trying to justify buying them over the Outlaws. Their a little more expensive but not a whole heck of a lot lighter. I have heard their a better built wheel, for whatever thats worth, as far as the hubs and spokes are concerned.

mtbr member
    You can order the Transition Revolutions straight from Transition. They have some good clearance prices sometimes. I got a set of new old stock 36s for $219 a couple months ago. Packaging sucked and I had to return the first set due to shipping damage. Second set was still a still a little beat, but at least serviceable, so I kept them.

I also run a set of Atomlab Pimps on my Blk Mrkt Riot. Much better wheel than the Transitions IMO. Better build. Straight and true out of the box, unlike the Transitions. Best value for the money that I have found so far.

Good luck.

AWESOME!
    Try just building some wheels, or having someone build them. I have a used set of Spank Subrosas DT laced to Atomlab Pimp hubs. They're 32hole, and I've landing sideways trying to 360 down a 4 set and they've never needed trued. I'd sell them for $340.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow
    Check out the Transition Revolutions. Also check out the Halo SAS.
    Transitions are heavier than Outlaws. Outlaws use Alex Supra BH rims. The rims are actually pretty light. The hubs and spokes are a bit heftier, but it's not a HEAVY wheelset.

The Atomlab rims are heavier too.

I've had the SAS. They do come in 36h. But the rims are pretty heavy as well. And the rims are kind of soft. If you don't keep your tire pressure pretty high, you can ding and dent the rims

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasted BLT
    You can order the Transition Revolutions straight from Transition. They have some good clearance prices sometimes. I got a set of new old stock 36s for $219 a couple months ago. Packaging sucked and I had to return the first set due to shipping damage. Second set was still a still a little beat, but at least serviceable, so I kept them.

I also run a set of Atomlab Pimps on my Blk Mrkt Riot. Much better wheel than the Transitions IMO. Better build. Straight and true out of the box, unlike the Transitions. Best value for the money that I have found so far.

Good luck.
    The Atomlab's are a lot more than the revolutions. Also....just because you had a bad experience with your wheel set doesn't mean everyone has the same problems....I seriously doubt all Revolution wheel sets come all beat up and out of true.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Get some hopes to 721's or 729's off Chain reaction - cheap and strong - my next wheelset.
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow
    The Atomlab's are a lot more than the revolutions. Also....just because you had a bad experience with your wheel set doesn't mean everyone has the same problems....I seriously doubt all Revolution wheel sets come all beat up and out of true.
    Enders, didn't mean to dis your wheels, just passing on my experience, which is what I thought the forum was all about. The fact that it happened twice in a row, with the second (replacement) set banging around inside the box just like the first, concerns me more than an isolated incident would. Kudos to Transition for sending a replacement set the same day, just wish they would have checked the packaging to avoid a repeat of the same issue. Trying to blame UPS for obviously poor packaging didn't really impress me either.

I have seen a lot of posts from happy Revolution owners as well. That's why I bought them in the first place. Maybe it was just my bad luck or maybe something's changed. Everyone's free to make their own choice.

Back to the OP... Apologies for highjacking your thread.

I won't argue the $$ or weights. The Outlaws typically win on price, they come with a few different axle options (though you will need to buy the momentum axle, if you want something less than a 12mm bolt-on in the back). The Outlaws also come in pretty light for a 36h wheelset, though not sure how they bookkeep the rear axle weights.

Good luck with your build.

mtbr member
    another vote on the outlaws. you can get a set of black ones for $215 shipped off ebay. I have a set of white ones on my dj/street bike and I just ordered a set of the black ones for my geard mob that i am building up for mtn creek's indycross. cant beat the price and the 10mm or 3/8s axle is avaiable with the axle nuts through pricepoint for cheap just look up the Momentum axle.

Bikes Rule
    Purchase good hubs and rims and let your LBS build them. I build my own wheels simply because wheels are very personal to me. I like what I like. I lace Profiles to either Mavic 721 or any other good 36 hole rim. Never had any issues. A good build goes a long way.