Hmm..doughnuts

New question here. Broken derailleur

Earlier today I bent my Sram x-7 rear derailleur when my front wheel slipped off a 1-foot curb I was riding on. I tried to fix it by prying it back into shape but it didn't work. The spring on the bottom guide somehow broke in the process. I managed to get it to work by tying some twine, fishing line, and some ties from one part of it to the other. It may limit me to being singlespeed for now, but it feels great! The derailleur no longer hops when I land. I am wondering if I should singlespeed it or if I should get a new derailleur and if I do what kind. Any thoughts on it would help. I will try to post some pics if I can get my crappy digital camera working.
    Need to find a cheap Marzocchi DJ3 fork cheap

Meh.
    Try out SS, if you can do it, go that route. It's cheaper in the long run.

h-town hucker
    ss all the way. its so much easier to not worry about derailler adjustments and banging it around. just make sure you find the gear you like.

Hmm..doughnuts
    SSing it would be nice, but I also want to be able to trail ride, so how would that work with a SS?

Meh.
    Depends on the gear ratio and how strong your legs are.

no big deal
    I used to run rear derailleurs until I realized I kept breaking them, and only ever kept it in one gear any way. now I'm SS all the way.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    i have a crazy amount of leg power now from running singlespeed. If i didnt top out so fast (2:1 ratio), I'm sure i could really get movin! Climbing isnt really that bad...just charge into them and hope for the best.

Hmm..doughnuts
    Regardless of the advantages of running singlespeed, I think I will eventually buy a new derailleur so that I can keep the advantages a derailleur has. Just today I topped my bike out trying to get speed for a jump and the current ratio I have it set at is 36-17. This feels too slow for me. I want to be able to wheely in a relatively lower gear and go fast in a higher gear. I don't think singlespeeding my bike is for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    XTR's are great and strong. And they dont flap around

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by i_suck
    XTR's are great and strong. And they dont flap around

Eh I dunno if XTR is worth it. I've got one on my klein and the damn thing never keeps an adjustment. I've tried fixing it, bike shop has tried, friends have tried...It's probably not worth it, I would just get the XT. Same performance and cheaper. Stronger as well I hear.

One thing to think about if you're getting any shimano derailleur...they have a barrel adjuster on the back that the cable loops into, and those things break at any chance. I broke three of them, two on curbs that I didn't even land on, just kinda tapped and jumped off. It's a real pain when that happens...main reason I switched to SRAM. With an x.7 or whatever you might not break the derailleur if you hit a curb. With shimano you might also not, but you damn well may beak the stupid barrel adjuster that sticks out for no damn reason. Anyways, just something to think about.

Meh.
    XTR sucks if you break it. And they're pretty easy to break, most riders will agree. XTR is designed to be the lightest, not the strongest. And at 120 bucks a pop, it's not exactly economical. Not to mention you'll have to switch shifters if you want to go to Shimano.

mtbr member
    If you have to run geared, go for cheap ones like SRAM SX5 - Short cage, run ok, and don't cost too much if you break'um.
    I'm SS in my chase, geared (X9) in my specialized XC bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    get a saint...i kill derailuers but i have not been able to destroy this.

mtbr member
    I would at recommend giving SS a shot. Im sure you will enjoy it and become addicted like many here. I run 32/17 on my street bike and its pretty good but does top out pretty fast.

Just buy a few different cogs and try them out. They are cheap and pretty quick to change out. I can change mine in about 5 minutes so its no big deal.