Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

BMX question... 14mm or 3/8" front axle?

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
My DK Dayton has 14mm axles front and rear. I noticed a lot of lighter high end bikes (and light front wheels) use a 3/8" front axle.

Just curious, is one better than the other for urban and park type riding? I was looking at getting a lighter front wheel, but all the light ones seem to be 3/8" and I just wonder, beside weight, what are the advanatges (if any) to the 3/8"?

#3 ·
snaky69 said:
From my calculations, 3/8'' = 9,525mm. Wouldn't that make the wheel not quite as stiff feeling?
Agreed. And thats why I wondered why they would put a less stiff (and perhaps safe) front axle on a lot of the high end bikes. Even the super expensive Mirraco Black Pearl LTD has a Odyssey Vandero 36h, 3/8" Crmo axle front hub... http://www.mirrabikeco.com/bikes/bp_lim.htm

#5 ·
just the lightweight movement... most riders/companies felt 14mm front was unnecessary and just overkill in some cases, but some still swear by it, especially if you are doing a lot of harsh grinding with the front... just rider preference, but you are right, all of the high-end lightweight parts will only be available in primarily 36 hole (48 is now almost obsolete in the front) and 3/8ths axle.
There won't be much if any noticeable flex between the two (unless you are nuts like Jimmy Levan), it just basically comes down to peg use (harsh), or lighter use with pegs, and possibly even pegless. if you are going completely pegless with no doubt, then get a hub with "fun bolts" style mounting, using a male bolt into the hub axle, instead of the hex nuts. less weight, and smoother, nothing sticking out. (look at the Eject option hub).

#6 ·
Most riders don't land on their front pegs that hard or as often, thus the 3/8" (actually 3/8" x 26 tpi axles are 10mm x 1 pitch) you see listed can be used to save some weight. Weight is the only real reason to use the smaller axle up front.

Depending on your hubs, you might be able to fine some hollow 14mm axles to use for similar weight savings.

#9 ·
I would definately go with 3/8" if your considering a new front wheel. The weight savings is well worth it. The only way you'll damage the axle is from agressive grinding... Or a hit that will damage alot more that your axle. I've done gaps that have crushed my wheels and my axles have never bent or snapped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.