LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009

Bmx freestyle bike suggestions

Alright so i used to ride dirt until my bike got stolen. I'm looking to get into more street style tricks and well that requires a bike. I've been looking at kink, fit and animal.

I'm 6'2 prolly 150 lbs if that will help. I got around 7 or 8 hundred to spend.

The bikes gotta have gyro.

Btw what's freecoaster?

mtbr member
    A freecoaster rear hub allows you to roll backwards without the cranks rolling backwards with it. They are nice, but heavy and take relatively lot of maintenance.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    A freecoaster rear hub allows you to roll backwards without the cranks rolling backwards with it. They are nice, but heavy and take relatively lot of maintenance.
    Yeah that's not that important to me then.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    What the difference between the different Kink bikes? I saw some of them have different parts but what is the difference between them?

dirt rules
    Buy a used bike, for 7 or 8 bills, you should be able to score a pretty sweet ride. Also, the completes out there are usually pretty small. You might want to find a bike with a 22" top tube.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Buy a used bike, for 7 or 8 bills, you should be able to score a pretty sweet ride. Also, the completes out there are usually pretty small. You might want to find a bike with a 22" top tube.
    yeah I noticed that. The biggest kink is 21.

I was looking on pinkbike but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Most of the bikes I saw were custom so I'm more hesitant cause I don't wanta get ripped off.

What should I be looking for exactly? Think I'd be better off buying new?

dirt rules
    Look for bikes that have been used very little, and have good parts. (cranks, hubs, etc.)
    Check to see if the seller has sold other items.
    Contact the seller, ask for a phone number and talk to them.
    Use Paypal, and FUND WITH A CREDIT CARD!
    If things go sour, you can simply reverse the charges via your credit card company.
    A guy your height, you might need to find a frame first, then buy another bike just for parts.
    Then sell off the frame you strip for the parts.
    Here's a 22" bike on ebay....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MacNeil-BMX-deuc...230448903620QQ

You might also consider building up a 24" bike.... Cru Jones has a pretty sick frameset he designed and is selling for like $300.
    http://www.liquid-bikes.com/blog/

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Look for bikes that have been used very little, and have good parts. (cranks, hubs, etc.)
    Check to see if the seller has sold other items.
    Contact the seller, ask for a phone number and talk to them.
    Use Paypal, and FUND WITH A CREDIT CARD!
    If things go sour, you can simply reverse the charges via your credit card company.
    A guy your height, you might need to find a frame first, then buy another bike just for parts.
    Then sell off the frame you strip for the parts.
    Here's a 22" bike on ebay....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MacNeil-BMX-deuc...230448903620QQ

You might also consider building up a 24" bike.... Cru Jones has a pretty sick frameset he designed and is selling for like $300.
    http://www.liquid-bikes.com/blog/
    I'm really considering building up that 24inch. I've never built a bike before so I'm gonna need some help on picking parts.

The first is the frame which I'll prolly go with the liquid feedback.
    The fork I'm pretty sure I want without shocks.
    Cranks - suggestions needed as I don't know to much about them
    stem I'm assuming they come with the liquid frame but I'm on my iPhone so I can't tell for sure.
    Seat post - not sure what length I need or if it really matters what seat you get?
    Wheels - obviously something smooth with traction meant for street.

Am I missing anything?

Suggestions are welcome!

mtbr member
    If you're going with the Liquid frame you'll need to get a bmx 24" fork, I believe he designed the frame around that and not a suspension fork.

you can usually find a used set of Profile cranks, they last forever.

Liquid doesn't make stems, I suggest the Solid stem.

any bmx seat post will do, if you get a railed seat than you need a railed post. that goes for the pivotal seat too.

wheels have been personal preference, on my 24 Liquid I have odyssey hazard hubs laced to sun bfr rims. they held up great so far and would be strong for street, probably on the heavier side of things but I don't count weight.

Tires are what you need to focus on for street use, I don't have any direction there. The tires I have are alright but I don't recommend them. I need to figure out what's good for dirt since I'm only riding my 24 on dirt.

Oh bars is something off the list but Liquid has bars which I recommend, I got a pair and it fits nice.

mtbr member
    From my experience, Kenda K-rads are a cheap but good tire. Maxxis Holy rollers are a good all around tire that can do dirt and street but I've blown out a sidewall pretty easy and heard others had this problem too. Maxxis Hookworms are street specific and bombproof but heavy.

mtbr member
    aren't tiogas a good tire too?

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    What do you think of the black market underboss stem?http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/prod...cts&item=parts

I rode a black market three57 before it got stolen and I really liked the length of the chain and the ammount of teeth on the sprocket. Any cranks similar to those on the three57?

Got any reccomendations on forks?

I really liked the way te handlebars were set up to. Is it possible to get the same type of handle bars?

mtbr member
    I was lucky to find some used fit forks at a great price. If I were to have gotten em new I would've went S&M.

Haven't heard much about blackmrkt products, I promote Solid cuz they're in my hometown and are a great product. For instance they were contracted to machine the bb pivot shells for the Dobermann Le Pink frameset. Also they're now making a frame for the new Cult bmx company along with an assortment of other bike companies. Plus I think they have one of the most savage team riders. Zac Costa is an animal.

with the Liquid set up I think you might have to look into cruiser bars or even reg bmx bars. There's another guy that got a Liquid set up that's like 6'-4" and I believe he got some slam bars.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    I just finished looking at s&m forks and it looks like they only have 24inch race style forks. http://www.sandmbikes.com/_product_6...T_Fork%2c_24in

So far I've got the liquid frame, solid stem, looks like I'll go with the slam bars unless somebody else has a better suggestion?

I still need clarification on the fork and a set of cranks?

Oh yeah am I missing any parts btw?

mtbr member
    I thought they made the pitchforks in 24, I don't think you're gonna find any other 24 fork than a race fork. They Sunday forks look about the same, that's what the owner of Liquid is running I believe.

Profile cranks, still need grips, headset, bb, pedals, chain, seat/post and clamp.

mtbr member
    I think Standard is about to come out with a 24 street fork.
    Also, you could always go with SE Landing Gear forks, they are technically race but definitely strong enough for street. My 26" BMX bike and 29" MTB bike has them. They come in 20, 24, 26, and 29.

mtbr member
    I just saw that Halo makes Twin Rail tires in 24 also. Those are supposed to be awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    I just saw that Halo makes Twin Rail tires in 24 also. Those are supposed to be awesome.
    Thanks for the tip, those do look pretty damn good for dirt and street. Now I just need to snoop around to see how sells em.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    So after adding up some parts I am going more towards buying a complete. The problem is most companys don't make 22 or even 21.5 tt. I've been looking at going for a smaller top tube such as a 20.75 or perhaps a 21 even. My question to you... Am I really going to notice the difference? Is it going to effect my riding to the point where I can't accomplish stuff?

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    What do you guys think of fit bikes? I'm not a fan of there cheap website.

Are there other companys that make completes over 21.5 tt?

I'm planning on going to my local shop tomorrow to ride a few different sizes but they don't know squat when it comes to urban riding so I'll be buying online.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Looking at we the people Volta http://www.danscomp.com/101797.php?cat=BIKES

and the envy
    http://www.danscomp.com/101798.php?cat=BIKES

what do you guys think any good

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the envy but danscomp doesn't have it in stock and well every site I find is uk only. Anybody know a site where they ship to the us?

mtbr member
    You could try j and r bicycles online. Also, I don't remember the name of the WTP distributor for the US but it's a big one that most LBS use so you could potentially get a shop to get it for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good job!

u can buy a pretty good dj/street bike complete from NS. the holy 1 and metropolis are awesome as i have ridden both and love em. lots of good parts and pretty well priced