mtbr member
    Dec 2005

BMX bikes for skill development

How many of you own and ride BMX bikes regularly along with your big bikes? It seems that there's a lot of focus on BMX now and a lot of the urban mtb stuff is bmx influenced. Personally I never cared too much for them but maybe I haven't given it enough of a shot. Those of you that do ride bmx, do you find it really helps your skills on the big bikes more than just spending that time practicing on the big bike? I've seen some videos of the more popular bmx riders, and the stuff they do is pretty amazing. Still, I think the same things look way better on a 26", but that's just me.

So what's the deal? Is it worth it to invest a little in a decent bmx bike to give your overall bike skills a workout?

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I have a Brooklyn 26/24 hardtail that I love, but I spend waaaaaay more time on my 20". It's more fun, it's the better bike for the job, and frankly, I think most "urban" MTBing looks dumb in my opinion. it's the same as BMX, but on the wrong bike. I'd have a lot more respect for the whole urban thing if it were different from BMX, but all I see is a bunch of dudes using oversized, overly-complex (disc brakes? Why do you need disc brakes to do wall-rides or fufanus??) bikes to do something that has already been done over and over on better bikes. To be more positive, though, I say more power to anybody out there riding. I don't discriminate, and would have no problem riding with somebody who is on the "wrong" bike.

mtbr member
    Hm, I'd probably just put in the time on your 26" bike. I ride with a very talented bmx rider occasionally, and he can't do much on my bike (26"). He can manual forever on his bike, but not at all on mine...

Air Junkie
    Me and all of my friends have been riding BMX for about 15yrs, the majority of us are pro now. I was the first to tryout the MTB scene, about 3 yrs ago. My friends and I could instantly rip on the MTB. It was more stable, went higher, harder to pump, harder to throw around, more gyro action but went faster. My friends stuck with BMX and I went with MTB, few of my friends bought a 24" to play with a little bit. Now I totally suck at BMX, MTB killed my skills. I don't know why, but its pretty lame. I'm now about 95% MTB and 5% BMX. I love BMX, but couldn't ever give up those 100mm of travel!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    Me and all of my friends have been riding BMX for about 15yrs, the majority of us are pro now. I was the first to tryout the MTB scene, about 3 yrs ago. My friends and I could instantly rip on the MTB. It was more stable, went higher, harder to pump, harder to throw around, more gyro action but went faster. My friends stuck with BMX and I went with MTB, few of my friends bought a 24" to play with a little bit. Now I totally suck at BMX, MTB killed my skills. I don't know why, but its pretty lame. I'm now about 95% MTB and 5% BMX. I love BMX, but couldn't ever give up those 100mm of travel!
    So basically what you are saying is to pick a bike (be it 20", 24", or 26") and stick with that because your skills aren't going to be very transferable from bike to bike.

PS - I was watching one of the Animal videos with Steven Hamilton and in one of the shots where he uses that circular brick wall as a berm and then does a 360 after coming out of it, it looks like he is on a 24" bike (or maybe even 26").

Air Junkie
    It's pretty weird they are tranferable to a Mtb, but they aren't back to Bmx. Unless you ride a rigid or very short travel MTB.
    here's the groups website
    http://www.savagesouth.com/

mtbr member
    I ride 20" the majority of the time. 1st is cuz I break things a lot and mtn parts are too damn expensive to justify replacing repeatedly riding street/park. Bmx is easier on the wallet cuz there's less parts that need replacing on a regular basis.

2nd, being that I can huck the sh!t outta my bmx I try more tricks and inturn it's hella fun. Once I get tricks down on my bmx I transfer them to my mtn bike.

Now transferring tricks from 20 to 26 is very normal and realistic. If you're having trouble the set up you have might not be ideal. Both me and my boy ride real similar rigs and don't have problems transferring. Now I admit I had troubles with my 3's on my 26 but it just took a bit more effort.

I post too much.
    The switch from bmx to mtb is easier to make than the other way around. I learned on a mtb, and can't do **** on a bmx, I can't even bunny hop a curb without falling on my ass, and I can hop onto picnic tables on my mtb, go figure.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    PS - I was watching one of the Animal videos with Steven Hamilton and in one of the shots where he uses that circular brick wall as a berm and then does a 360 after coming out of it, it looks like he is on a 24" bike (or maybe even 26").
    Hamilton could probably do it on a tricycle if he wanted. The dude flat kills it whenever/wherever/however he wants to.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Hamilton could probably do it on a tricycle if he wanted. The dude flat kills it whenever/wherever/however he wants to.

Tricycle? I want to see someone do tailwhips on a penny farthing. I'm sure it can be done...but who will be the first to try?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a hard time going back and forth between 20 and 26. I used to ride parks on my 20" and street and jumps, tracks on my 26. It didn't work very well for me. I rode 20" only for 20 years and after I started riding big bikes I had a hard time going back to 20" bikes. I'm having better skill progresion riding the 26" only this summer. It's better to be completly practiced on the bike you want to progress on as the the brakes, balance point, etc. are a little different. Now I'm on my 26" only and things have went much better than the last couple of years of riding both, so sorry to say i've given up the 20"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    seriously though I love bmx, but now I do it on a 26". When I show up at the parks and kids go wow your on a mtn. bike, I just tell them it's a big bmx bike.

i like rocks
    BMX bikes are cool, and many riders of them do some crazy stuff, but i just can't get over the fact that anybody over the age of 15 looks kinda goofy on a bike with 20" wheels.

i still have my old Haro bike that i rode when i was 13, and i still have fun goofing around in the driveway with it, but i can't help but feel that my old 20" freestyle/bmx bike is a 'toy' and my 26" mtb is a badass machine.

but whatever, the whole point is just to rip it up and have fun, who cares what you ride.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    BMX bikes are cool, and many riders of them do some crazy stuff, but i just can't get over the fact that anybody over the age of 15 looks kinda goofy on a bike with 20" wheels.

i still have my old Haro bike that i rode when i was 13, and i still have fun goofing around in the driveway with it, but i can't help but feel that my old 20" freestyle/bmx bike is a 'toy' and my 26" mtb is a badass machine.

but whatever, the whole point is just to rip it up and have fun, who cares what you ride.
    I have the same "hangup". I am 34 and figure I look like an idiot when I'm playing around on a BMX. I have no such hangups when I'm on a MTB.

To everyone else your last sentence sums it up. Who cares as long as you're having fun

Salsa Shark
    Funny thing, I'm looking into getting an urban/dirt jumping/park bike for imrpoving my BMX skills! I think that once I get off the bigger bike, my BMX will feel like a little toy and be way easier to throw around.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Premium Member
    BMX will help your big bike skills. It'll make you a more broad-skilled rider. Maybe it won't help in that you can't do the same tricks on your MTB as your BMX, but it'll increase your bike handling a lot.

I rode BMX for about 6 months all the time and then got sick of my wrists and ankles hurting all the time. Now I'm moving to a Tonic Fall Guy with a bit of suspension. However, I think I picked up a lot on the BMX and I'm glad I tried it. It'll make your 26er feel like you can roll over anything.