I am 41, been mtbing forever, riding at the skatepark for almost two years. I have gotten better and more confident and can clear the coping by about two feet now.
Today, I did what I tell all my old-guy friends to never do. I needed "one last run" because I was doing so well today. So I WAY over rotated, pulled out WAY to far from the wall and went 8 ft to flat. My left knee went sideways and severed all but one ligament. My right knee went into the concrete and would have shattered had I not been wearing good pads. my elbow pad saved my right elbow and my helmet took a good ding for me two. Total prognosis: broken pinky toe and a shredded left knee in need of total reconstruction. Armor saved me from two shredded knees, a broken elbow and concussion.
Lesson for me:
1. I let my discipline drop and paid for it.
2. Armor is awesome
3. I have good friends who literally carried me out and took me to the ER.
4. I have an amazing wife who is not mad and considers this the price of admission for a guy like me.
5. I have great in-laws who stepped up as usual and took care of the kids while we get it all sorted out.
6. I have a fantastic boss as well as employees who I called and are taking care of the immediate responsibilities until I get it together and come up with a plan
7. I am happy to have ridden as hard as I have for as long as I have and have gotten all the good of it without a serious injury until now.
my biking brothers and sisters,
please wear armor, love the people in your life and have more discipline that I did today.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread: blew my left knee today.
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »