mtbr member

Black Market Riot - Tugnuts?

Working on my Riot build. Those of you running Riots, do you run tugnuts on the horizontal dropouts? If so, which ones are you running and how are they working?

Thanks for the help...

Meh.
    If you're running a bolt-on axle, you don't HAVE to run a tensioner, though it may make things a little simpler.

Bikes Rule
    If you run a good bolt-on axle you do not need tensioners. However if you have a hub that has a small nut or just one that does not grab well, GumDropz are pretty much the only ones that I found that will work.
    They do make a 10mm (3/8") now:

http://www.knightbikeco.com/products-gumdropz.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't use them on my riot and never had a time where I thought I'd want them.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanbike
    Don't use them on my riot and never had a time where I thought I'd want them.
    X2...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had to pick some up for my Mongoose Ritual. Without them anytime I would really put weight on the pedals the torque would draw the drive side forward. Also makes getting the axle and brake aligned easier for me.

Even with the axle really tight it would eventually slip, probably because the paint doesn't make for a very grippy surface. Obviously many people have no problems with it, but I picked up a set of Primo tensioners at my LBS and now set it and forget it.

I'd say wait and see. May never need them.

Bikes Rule
    The dropouts on the Riot only allow for microscopic sized tensioners to work, like the GumDropz. Nothing "standard" works.

My crappy Woodman hub used to slip all the time. It uses a serated nut that was small. Now my Profile hub never slips at all thanks to the HUGE surface area. It is not so much the paint as it is the hub/axle.

Here is mine:

mtbr member
    Great! Thanks for the tips. I will get a hub with a good thru axle and try without and keep the GumDropz in reserve.

While I was poking around for solutions last night, I also found these.
    http://www.danscomp.com/440100.php?cat=PARTS

Seems like a nice clean solution, once you know what size you need for your setup.

Cheers

Bikes Rule
    I saw those last year when Iwas looking around. They would work but you probably need to buy 3 sizes to get it right. Then your chain stretches slightly and they are no good..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    got some sinz BMX tensioners for my mob just to keep things from shifting etc. stock, they're too long, but you don't need the longer hole, so I just lobbed them off with an angle grinder. colored the cut spot with a sharpie so it was still black.

sure, they aren't needed, but It's easier to tension my chain, and I don't need to worry about the drive-side slipping at all