mtbr member

Black Market Riot - Sprocket Size Limit

Another Riot build question... I may have a few more before I am finished...

Wanted to double check the sprocket size limit on the Riot. Currently planning to run Deity Vendeta cranks. A search of the forum turns up some conflicting feedback on the sprocket size limit. Generally, anything 28T and under seems fine, a 30t seems to be a grey area, and only a few people seem to be able to make a 32T or larger work.

Guessing they are spacing the larger sprockets further out on an MTB crank to clear the chain stay.

Will a 30T work with the Deity crank, or should I keep it to 28T and under?

THX

Bikes Rule
    The thing with the Riot (and Mob) frames is that the stays have a decent angle to them which limits some of the options. If using Vendetta cranks or other outboard bearing style cranks, you don't have as much room to play with as you would with a BMX set-up (like Profiles). One good thing about the Deity cranks is they give you a fair amount of spacers to gain some room.

The problem is getting a 28t or larger to fit while having crank clearance and using a 73mm BB. Usually a larger ring requires the crank to be really far away from the frame, which is not always possible. Also crank choice comes to play with how the profile (or angle) of the crank is. Some are more extreme than others.

You should be able to get a 28 with no problems. However if you are going with a SS hub in back you may have to go micro to have a usable chainline. If you have an 8-speed hub and using a SS converter kit you should be OK. You can't space out the front to fit a 28 and then have a SS hub. The chainline will not work.

To "Air" Is Human
    My 30t with Vendetta cranks had a mm of clearance for the arms.

I switched to a 25t and Demos...much better breathing room!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Lance...

If clearance between the Vendetta "crankarm" and chainstay is tight...the kit comes with our 4mm thick chainline spacer that allows you to space your arm out without affecting chainline or vice versa, you can space your ring further in board without affecting crankarm position.

You can read about it at:

http://www.deitycomponents.com/vendetta_Features5.htm

In regards to sprocket sizing and the Blk Mrkt Riot...

Carter at Blk Mrkt recommends using a sprocket 32t or smaller on his frames. This can vary depending on the hub used or chainline you are trying to achieve. If you are considering using a 28t, you will be dialed! We have three Blk Mrkts here with one running a 25t, another a 28t, and a first generation MOB with a 32t.

Also, the Blk Mrkt team (Carter, Taylor, and Adam Hauck) run the Vendetta Cranksets and usually use a 25t and 28t to keep things compact, light, and out of the way.

Regards,

Eric
    deity

To "Air" Is Human
    Eric, you know I love your stuff. I recommend go small on the ring for sure. I'm saving my Vendetta's for another bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deity
    Hey Lance...

If clearance between the Vendetta "crankarm" and chainstay is tight...the kit comes with our 4mm thick chainline spacer that allows you to space your arm out without affecting chainline or vice versa, you can space your ring further in board without affecting crankarm position.

You can read about it at:

http://www.deitycomponents.com/vendetta_Features5.htm

In regards to sprocket sizing and the Blk Mrkt Riot...

Carter at Blk Mrkt recommends using a sprocket 32t or smaller on his frames. This can vary depending on the hub used or chainline you are trying to achieve. If you are considering using a 28t, you will be dialed! We have three Blk Mrkts here with one running a 25t, another a 28t, and a first generation MOB with a 32t.

Also, the Blk Mrkt team (Carter, Taylor, and Adam Hauck) run the Vendetta Cranksets and usually use a 25t and 28t to keep things compact, light, and out of the way.

Regards,

Eric
    deity

Eric,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and providing some insight into the team setup. I plan to go ahead with the 28T on the Vendetta cranks. Really looked like the sweet setup for the Riot. I will PM you with a couple mundane questions on the install.

Thanks