Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    goes well with tea
    Aug 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well bike stunt learning curve

I'm assuming you guys get these retarded questions fairly often, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I'm interested in learning stunts on a bike, and right now I'm practicing with a hard tail mtb with platform pedals. I'm working on wheelies and manuals and basic stuff like that, but I'm afraid to get airborne because the bike feels awkward under me, plus it seems like I would break it if I let go and it slams into a tree or something. It's not a very beefy bike.

So I'm playing with the idea of getting a bike specifically for learning tricks with, but since I have absolutely no experience, I could go with a bmx bike, or a dirt jump bike. Which is easier to learn with? I figure bmx since it's lighter and smaller, but since I'm coming from a mtb and roadie background, they feel really small and goofy under me so I don't know. Do you get used to it, or is it something you have to grow up with?

I'm 23, am I too old to get into it seriously? Is this something you have to get a feel for when you are small (like gymnastics and playing instruments and stuff)? I'd appreciate any advice you guys have.

mtbr member
    First off... get that notion out of your head that your too old... thats just BAD JUJU around here. There are guys (and girls) that are twice or three times as old as people our age, and would kick our arse any day of the week out on the trail.

what it boils down too, if you enjoy it, get out there and practice, practice, practice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scone
    I'm assuming you guys get these retarded questions fairly often, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I'm interested in learning stunts on a bike, and right now I'm practicing with a hard tail mtb with platform pedals. I'm working on wheelies and manuals and basic stuff like that, but I'm afraid to get airborne because the bike feels awkward under me, plus it seems like I would break it if I let go and it slams into a tree or something. It's not a very beefy bike.

So I'm playing with the idea of getting a bike specifically for learning tricks with, but since I have absolutely no experience, I could go with a bmx bike, or a dirt jump bike. Which is easier to learn with? I figure bmx since it's lighter and smaller, but since I'm coming from a mtb and roadie background, they feel really small and goofy under me so I don't know. Do you get used to it, or is it something you have to grow up with?

I'm 23, am I too old to get into it seriously? Is this something you have to get a feel for when you are small (like gymnastics and playing instruments and stuff)? I'd appreciate any advice you guys have.

well first off, its never too late to start this type of riding, and i know plenty of people that are atleast 10 years older then you that are still progessing big time. just don't worry about that..

if you are starting to jump around on an XC HT i can definitely imagine how tough that would be. when deciding on a BMX or a DJ MTB it just depends on what you are more comfortable with. if you are used to riding MTB and such, trying to ride a BMX will be difficult at first because of the size. i used to ride BMX, then went to riding a MTB. i like the feel like the MTB much better, but the BMX is nice just because of how easy it is to whip around. what you should look into is a Steel/Single speed short travel DJ HT. there are many options out there...this way you will have a bike that won't be too heavy, won't really have anything that could break, and will last.

also learning how to manual and such is a great way to get used to minipulating the bike around. good luck

mtbr member
    Here's a thread that might give you an idea of what direction you'd want to go.

BMX bikes for skill development

BTW, I'm 30 and just started to ride bmx bout 8months ago.

I post too much.
    The learning curve is tedious, and usually includes a few crashes here and there, but in the end, it's worth it.

Go with whatever you feel confortable on, for myself I can't stand being on a bmx, even though I'm not too tall (5'6''). I like 26's and 24's a lot more.

mtbr member
    I'm 30 and just started riding bikes again about a year and a half (or so) ago. My progression in the last year has been better than 10 years of riding in my youth. I'd love to go back and build my urban ride another way but in the end the experience comes from the experimentation.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    what bike do you gots?

mtbr member
    Currently I'm on a geared Orange Ms Isle. Weighs 36 lbs! Next build - steel single speed, hopefully right at 30lbs. I think it's more about practice than the bike though. You can get used to almost anything (within reason).

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    thats a beefy bike zaefod

i was really wantin to no what scone was runnin, since hes worried about streangth

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    thats a beefy bike zaefod

i was really wantin to no what scone was runnin, since hes worried about streangth
    Right now a '98 Giant Iguana with a 120mm up front, it's not exactly spectacular , but it's definitely better spec'd than the recent Iguana's have been. I'm about to transfer all the components to a leader 516 frame... a better fit for the fork but no more beefy than the iguana's frame I don't think.

mtbr member
    I think you'd be better off scraping together enough money for a Giant STP or a GT Rukus UF or something.

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Here's a thread that might give you an idea of what direction you'd want to go.

BMX bikes for skill development

BTW, I'm 30 and just started to ride bmx bout 8months ago.
    Nice man! Did you ride bmx when you were younger, or was it a fresh start?, and also, how are you liking it? I feel like bmx is a younger crowd, but maybe you have a different impression...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Too old? Hah! Ever hear of Jeff Lenosky? He's one of my personal favorite riders, and he's like 40. Does some sick stuff also, very trials-inspired.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'm 25..and just bought my first dj frame today... i get the joy of building it up now

but, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you are....and i decided on a MTB based DJ setup. it just seems more reasonable to me... I can reuse some parts that i've allready got, and i can still do some light trail duty if i raise up the seat post...and then lower it for urban or dj. I have a bmx frame as well...and all the parts ot get it moving..but i'd rather just work on the MTB instead

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sovietspyguy
    Too old? Hah! Ever hear of Jeff Lenosky? He's one of my personal favorite riders, and he's like 40. Does some sick stuff also, very trials-inspired.

Yes, but how old was he when he *started* riding?

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    i'm 25..and just bought my first dj frame today... i get the joy of building it up now

but, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you are....and i decided on a MTB based DJ setup. it just seems more reasonable to me... I can reuse some parts that i've allready got, and i can still do some light trail duty if i raise up the seat post...and then lower it for urban or dj. I have a bmx frame as well...and all the parts ot get it moving..but i'd rather just work on the MTB instead
    Well let me know how that goes for ya. Maybe we can be smelly newbies together.

mtbr member
    Well let me know how that goes for ya. Maybe we can be smelly newbies together.
    I think a mountain bike would be good for ya bro, Whats your budget looking like, A giant stp is an awesome bike and inexpensive too. Personaly I dont really like riding bmx bikes cuz im still learning and when I rode one it messed up my wrists. Kona, Specialized, and the giant stp are all awesome dirtjump bikes to start on

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    I think a mountain bike would be good for ya bro, Whats your budget looking like, A giant stp is an awesome bike and inexpensive too. Personaly I dont really like riding bmx bikes cuz im still learning and when I rode one it messed up my wrists. Kona, Specialized, and the giant stp are all awesome dirtjump bikes to start on
    Eh, not sure yet... currently 0, but perhaps by xmas it'll be ~$500 tops. Preferably less.

destructionismyobjective
    Im 24 and just started getting into it this summer. I used to ride bmx in my younger days but was never anything special. I started mountain biking this past spring on an old trek 4300 i bought from a friend. I started doing some urban with it and really bottoming out the crap fork on it and decided to get something more suitable. I ended up with a GF bitter cause i got a hell of a deal on it. Tell ya what get the right bike and your confidence will skyrocket being on a smaller(but hevier?) bike. Easy to toss around yet heavy duty enough so it doesnt feel like its gonna break. Scince I got the bike in july I think ive improved a buttload. Although the bike is heavy I can hop it well over 2 feet and Im not really afraid to toss it off any jump or drop. But yes practice is the biggest thing. I rode everyday about, untill it was too cold to ride. Even If I dont have anywhere fun to ride Ill go in the driveway and practice trackstands and pivoting and hopping. Havent quite got the manual yet but im sure I will if i keep goin at it. But anyways just do it! Didnt your parents ever tell you when you grow up you can do or be anthing you want as long as you put your mind to it?

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i know my lbs has a haro zero SS for like $650 on sale...and they'd take less. it's brand new, but a year old model. go check out all your LBS's and see what they have. usually you can find a year or two old new bike there and grab it up fairly cheap

Cheesiest
    Don't sweat the age thing. I started back at 27. I think a lot of people are discovering how much fun dirt jumping is. I'm still working on X-ups. The groms keep me improving.

the man with 7 egos
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Go with whatever you feel confortable on, for myself I can't stand being on a bmx, even though I'm not too tall (5'6''). I like 26's and 24's a lot more.
    I'm the exact opposite as that, I'm six foot tall and like smaller tires. My downhill bike has 24's on it and bmx has 20's.

its all opinion but a bigger bike makes me feel more comfortable in the air, so I would go with a 24" mountain bike.
    gravity isn't a law... it's more like a guidline

"Pain is just natures way of telling you your in excrusiating agony..."-Johny Bravo's Dentist

mtbr member
    Nice man! Did you ride bmx when you were younger, or was it a fresh start?, and also, how are you liking it? I feel like bmx is a younger crowd, but maybe you have a different impression...
    Nah, actually I was a skater growing up and did not like bikes one bit. I thought kats were crazy trying to huck themselves in crazy ways with a big piece of metal btwn their legs.

I'm fully addicted to bmx now, neglecting my mtn bike a bit. With bmx and a lot of other sports, the masses will be young. One thing that might be driving me is that I am pretty childish. I don't know though cuz on a daily I'm thinking of the current trick I"m trying to get down so I can't wait till I have the time to do it.

I'm lucky too cuz my daughters are into biking as well so I take em to the dirt jumps and let them play around while I do the same.

mtbr member
    Scone,

Really if you're low on bread I would really look into bmx, even a 24" cruiser if size is an issue. Why I say this is cuz for 500 you can get a pretty damn nice bmx set up.

Another reason bmx is a solid choice for you is cuz there's less parts that break. Plus mtn parts are freakin expensive. I paid a grand for my Kona DJ and spent hella bread on it since, mostly upgrading broken parts.

Something to chew on.

destructionismyobjective
    Good call on the 24" cruiser. Dk genral lee $259, Thats pobably gonna be my next bike, or haro makes one thats a little better for about $350. Definetly got the lightness factor too over these 26" dj bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast