Thread: Bike Help

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Bike Help

I'm looking for a new street and dirt jump bike. I'm looking for a middle to higher end bike but I dont know what bike at all. I was thinking a Norco 416 or building up a frame like a dobberman or something like that. I dont want to be a "wieght winnie" or what ever but i also dont want to be lugging around a heavy bike. Hit me with any suggestions. Also I was thinking a pike 426 for the fork. Yeah i think thats it so yeah just anything you want to add

I post too much.
    The Pike will not fit on a 416, there is a downtube clearance problem due to the integrated headset. Sorry. I have the frame up for sale though, 1 summer's worth of riding, reason of sale: getting a Nemesis Project and I honestly have no use for two hardtails at once.

If you do go with the norco, a 100mm gold label is where it's at methinks.

PM me if interested, I'll ship anywhere.
    Last edited by snaky69; 11-22-2006 at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    how much would it cost to build up a good spec on a frame?? I was thinking of buying a full bike and just upgrading when I have the money too?? Any other ideas of bikes or frames out there??

I post too much.
    It all depends on what parts you put on the frame and where you get them. Usually though, a custom bike is slightly more expensive, but you get the parts YOU want on it.

Edit: You seem to be from the toronto area according to your profile. So I'll give you a rough estimate of what I think it would cost you to build up a decent budget minded bike.

If you are a light rider, the good old Rhino Lite on XT hubs is pretty good and cheap as a wheelset, otherwise azonic outlaws will serve you right.(should set you back 150 or so)

A nice set of cranks that won't break(it's better to spend more in that area IMO.) will run you around 300-350 taxes and installation included(maybe less, depends on what you get)

A fork will be the more expensive part of the build, the gold label lists at 800 or so in the catalogue, but my lbs is willing to let it go for 530, most LBS's do that to encourage people to buy aftermarket parts. You can probably get it even cheaper online(ebay or online retailer)

Go singlespeed, cheaper and stronger in the long run(Toronto isn't particularily hilly either as far as I know) So a nice single speed kit on the XT hub or Outlaw hub will set you back another 15 bucks, nothing fancy, but it saves you from buying derailleur and all of that crap.

Depending on frame, and on your personal preference, you can go either V-brakes or disc brakes, just be sure to know what you'll be riding most, and weigh the pros and cons of either option before picking.

A stem, pedals, bars and grips should not set you back more than 200. Cheap 8-speed chain :15. tires and tubes(K rads and downhill tubes) : 75 or so.

Add a frame in there(I'm selling mine with seat and setpost(wink wink). 250.(some frames cost up to 900, it really depends on what you want).

Let's add this up. I'll use the biggest numbers I gave to evaluate maximum cost. It's better to expect to pay more and end up paying less eh?

150+350+550+(brakes)+200+15+75+250=1590+brakes.

I'd expect it to come out a bit cheaper, especially if you're buying all the parts at the same time, your shop would probably give you a discount for that if they're cool.

Keep in mind, going custom inevitably becomes more expensive, BUT you get exactly the bike YOU want, down to every nut and bolt.

With taxes, my estimate still comes in less expensive than the MSRP the Norco 416 had.

ALL PRICES ARE IN CDN.
    Last edited by snaky69; 11-23-2006 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the help, though im a little bit nervous about going to single speed. it is easy to gain your own speed with a ss. Could there be jumps where i couldnt hit because i would be spinning to fast when i hit it.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothergoose
    Thanks for all the help, though im a little bit nervous about going to single speed. it is easy to gain your own speed with a ss. Could there be jumps where i couldnt hit because i would be spinning to fast when i hit it.
    That's the key to find the right ratio for you. Start off with 2:1 and go from there, say you're running a 32T up front, it'd mean a 16T out back, if you spin out too fast for your liking, drop a tooth or two out back, if you're not spinning fast enough, add a tooth or two. Cogs are less than 5 bucks a piece and easy to switch out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I really want to go SS for the wieght and i think it just looks better. But i'm worried about being able to go from street, to dirt jump and not have to worry about being able to get the speed up fast enough or spinning to much.

Also what forks would you suggest and would you go with V or disc breaks

mtbr member
    32/16 would be a biatch trying to pedal don't you think? I know he's trying to find a ratio but that seems a bit steep to start at. I would think 2.75:1 to 2.5:1 would be more suitable. I run 2.5:1, I like it with some quick torque. I started out at 44/16 and since dropped down to 30/12.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    32/16 would be a biatch trying to pedal don't you think? I know he's trying to find a ratio but that seems a bit steep to start at. I would think 2.75:1 to 2.5:1 would be more suitable. I run 2.5:1, I like it with some quick torque. I started out at 44/16 and since dropped down to 30/12.
    On 26'' wheels, 32:16 comes out at 52 gear inches, which is very close to standard BMX gearing on 20'' wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why dont i know what you guys are talking about lol... damn i dont know anything about bikes.

I post too much.
    Look up Sheldon Brown on google. You will find more info than you'd ever like to hear about singlespeeding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Look up Sheldon Brown on google. You will find more info than you'd ever like to hear about singlespeeding.
    Nemesis Project bikes are looking really good. Would you sugest one?? How expensive are they?

I post too much.
    750$ US shipped, frame only. Email Brad: brad at nemesisproject dot com for info. All frames are 100% hand made and welded painted to your liking(custom paint costs extra, but you can get pretty much any "ordinary" colour done), then shipped.

There's the streetfighter
    There's the secret agent

There's the deathmobile

Frame only as I said, so all parts you see there are actually customer's builds.