Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Urban Tire

mtbr member

Best Urban Tire

I recently found a slash in my front and rear tires on my urban bike; most likley from a ton of abuse over the years. Ive gotten very used to them: Maxxis Larsen Oriflamme 2.0's. I know thats pretty skinny for urban/park, but I really like it. Ive searched all over for them and cant find them; does anyone know where I can find them? If not, what tires to you ride? Im contemplating the Nokian XXX 2.4's, but I cant decide what to do...
    Thanks alot
    Erik

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    i had XXX's on my bike for about a week, and then decided not enough tread for 4x, kinda obvios. they were a shitload of money, like 40 ish each, but well worth it. i loved them for anything but dirt. if u decide to go for em adn dont wanna dish out a bunch of $, ill sell u mine. there in pristene condtion all tread on tires!
    SELLING-

Manitou Stance Statioc

Huricane FORK UP

Tioga XC Rims Still in wrap

Meh.
    Halo Twin Rails. AMAZING tires. Rides on two skinny little rails for ultra low rolling resistance. But has nice tread and textures to help dig in when you need the traction. I rode them at a very wet skatepark and didn't slip once. They also do very well in dirt.

mtbr member
    maxxis holyroller 2.4- love them! low rolling resistance, grip awesome for dj/dirt and street. 865g/ 1.9 lbs per tire

Maxxis hookworm 2.5- haven't tried them but they're sposed to be pretty good for street and park. not good for dj/dirt though. Also heavy as hell! 1250g/ 2.7 lbs per tire! one hookworm is almost a pound heavier than one holyoller!

there is also these tioga tires that carter holland rides. can't find info though

mtbr member
    1.Maxxis Holly roller

2.Arrow Launch

3.Halo Twin rail
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    here's another vote for holyrollers. i absolutely love mine great for street, dj, and they even do pretty well when the dj's get muddy which i was even surprised with. and since you can pick em up for like 20 bucks each from jensonusa i dont think you can find anything better for the price. he|| i'd buy these tires even if they were 40 bucks a tire, they're amazing

I post too much.
    I have the holly rollers, although I think the sidewalls are somewhat thin(I think i got a slash somewhere on one of mine, be it very small).

They roll well and silently. 'nuff said.

instigator
    Jan 2006
    HOLY ROLLER!!! I've tried kenda k-rads, but they just dont compare to the holy rollers, my friend hat the larson tt's, he said they werent all that great.
    crash or die trying

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    try the botentrager street slick. there bad ass tires. i run them frnt and rear on my bike. they are good in the dirt and instreet

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbames190
    try the botentrager street slick. there bad ass tires. i run them frnt and rear on my bike. they are good in the dirt and instreet
    I'm going to try the Twin Rails as soon as I can, I'm running K-Rads now, and they are great on the street, and good in some parks, but crap on dirt. Don't get them if you do a lot of DJ, or ride any type of trails. But there half the price of Holy Rollers, so there a good back up tire.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTad
    HOLY ROLLER!!! I've tried kenda k-rads, but they just dont compare to the holy rollers, my friend hat the larson tt's, he said they werent all that great.
    i agree completely. i have holy rollers and one of my buds has k-rads, there's no comparison. holy rollers are a million times better, he's gonna get a set now after riding mine

mtbr member
    best one ever is th4e Kenda Kiniption.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i have had the hookworms on my bike, theyre great, but i also used to have some knob job tires too and they were great.
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

dirt rules
    Krads are cheap, light, and work great for street and park, and do ok on dirt.
    I might try some holyrollers soon though.

Just Ride
    i ran the krads for a while and they worked pretty good nice and light.

ive been running holyrollers for a few months now and really like them though. ive only gotten one flat with themand it was cause i bashed the sh!t out of it on an abubaca. ive cased plenty of other ledges prety hard since and not popped a tube. so yeah i definitely recomend the holyrollers, they're alittle heavier then the k rads but i think its worth it.

OH $#!% TREE!
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i ran the krads for a while and they worked pretty good nice and light.

ive been running holyrollers for a few months now and really like them though. ive only gotten one flat with themand it was cause i bashed the sh!t out of it on an abubaca. ive cased plenty of other ledges prety hard since and not popped a tube. so yeah i definitely recomend the holyrollers, they're alittle heavier then the k rads but i think its worth it.
    another option is the kenda kiniptions, they have a tred that runs all the way down the sidewall of the tire wich makes them really good for wallrides, has to be the best urban tire i have ever ridden, and they stick to the ramps like glue. Plus there cheap, 25 bucks a piece. good luck
    Originally Posted by DJBiker

"I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "well don't do that"

I HATE WINTER......

mtbr member
    DMR Moto is good and cheap.

Salsa Shark
    hookworms all the way!
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yep if you are only riding street and a few very hard pack straight line dirt jumps run the hookworms. you can corner like a sport bike on asphalt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, just to beat a dead horse...HOLLY ROLLERS. They are an excellent rolling tire with tons of grip on the street. You can get high psi in them as well.

mtbr remember
    DMR Moto R/T 2.4 front 2.2 rear... light, and cheap!

If I were only running street, I'd check out those Tioga FS100's.... a bit more expensive though, and I'm not sure if they come in 24"? too bad....

the XXX's I think are super heavy for a skinny urban/dj tire, but if you're tearing sidewalls, maybe they are for you...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Salsa Shark
    Hey you guys, not to highjack the thread but, looking at the P.1 I may get, I was wondering if there is a good reason for the 26 in front, and it is so nobby. As soon as possible, I think I will be putting hookworms on it if I get it.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Florida Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben
    Hey you guys, not to highjack the thread but, looking at the P.1 I may get, I was wondering if there is a good reason for the 26 in front, and it is so nobby. As soon as possible, I think I will be putting hookworms on it if I get it.
    well the reason it has a knobby it the front is for better traction when you are turning and the rear is a slick tire so that you roll faster. Dual hookworms will be alright if you don't mind the extra weight and if you ride more pavement than dirt. I had a hookworm in the back on my bike for a while and it worked surprisingly well in the dirt, but better on pavement.

Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Ok, the Holy Rollers perform quite well on pavement, and can actually hold their own on a little dirt, but seriously, do NOT trust the sidewalls.I have yet to wear through the entire tread life of one (out of 3 now) without ripping a sidewall, all from different conditions.After the sidewall rips, and it probably will, you can actually see how paper-thin it is.When doing any real park riding,dj-ing,or 4X, weight should always be secondary to durability, IMO.I'm not saying not to get Holy Rollers at all, I just think there's a lot of room for improvement on them for as much as they cost, and one of those ripped sidewalls almost sent me sliding off of a 30 foot ledge!

Preferred street setup (26"): Front-Maxxis Hookworm (LOTS of sidewall thickness and air volume) or Nokian XXX 2.4" (the natural rubber makes a huge difference)
    Rear-Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" (ditto + more grip than HW)
    Preferred DJ/4X setup (26"):Front- Continental Petrol ProTection 2.5"
    Rear-Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4"

-note:My personal preference for dirt is to have as much tread on the rear without impeding speed or "smoothness" too much.If riding on dirt, I find it more important to get traction from the rear than the front...unless you like spinning out while pedaling or having your tail wash out on a landing.The Racing Ralph fits this bill quite well.Just my $0.02.
    R.I.P.-George Carlin

mtbr member
    the tread (thread...sorry)does say best urban tire......Brad's right on the money..
    hookworm is best for stair gaps...so dang heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    1.Maxxis Holly roller

2.Arrow Launch

3.Halo Twin rail
    It should be WAY BIGGER John I'm so out of shape!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast