mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best SS gear ratio ??

Hi guys sorry im real noob and stuff, but i run a 24speed and was wondering what might be good SS gear ratios for a bike? i do street and trying to do offroad. thx =)

I post too much.
    There is no "perfect ratio". It really depends on what you ride. Most people start from a 2:1 ratio an work from there. Try it out by not switching gears during a whole ride. Find the ratio you can do almost anything on(because there is no ratio you can do everything on). What bike do you own? Sometimes there are "magic ratios" that allow you to run an 8 or 9-speed chain without the use of a tensionner or horizontal drop outs.,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    im running 32:15. its perfect for where i live. i have tried it in other places and it is a bit hard going up long steep hills though.

I post too much.
    I currently ride 26:14 if that is any help. Would rather have 26:13 though.

h-town hucker
    im running 32:16 right now, but would rather have a harder gear. maybe 34:16??

dirt rules
    25/12 works great for me. Seems to be just about perfect for all-around use.

Only One Way
    Sep 2004
    I use two
    25 / 11 - when I need some spead (some of the DJ'ps)
    25 / 16 - for Urban, get up to spead quicker for drops and some tight gaps..

I think you will just have to figure out what works best for your style and area?

C

resident dumbass
    36/16. It kills on urban. It kills so very, very much, that I cannot begin to explain to you how much it kills effectively with words.

It sucks on very steep hills. I can get up them, but it still sucks and takes a while.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr remember
    I run 28/12 on 24's. thought of dropping to 23/10, but that might be extreme micro, not to mention I'd have to drop more dough on another cassette driver and a sprocket...

also, keep in mind that wheel size is always a factor (yes even tires too), and crank-arm length. beyond that, it is all terrain ridden and rider preference.
    Schralp it Heavy.

rock hard or hardrock
    wow.......i ride 22/9 i love it
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    wow.......i ride 22/9 i love it
    22/9 on a 28spd set-up? cross-chaining to the max.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For Street/Park/DJ the equivalent of the tranditional BMX favorite feels pretty good for most riders.

Old School BMX Bike
    44 Chainwheel / 16 Freewheel x 20" Wheel Size = 55

Most of the current micro drive BMX bikes work out to roughly 55. It's a good place to work from.

36/17x26=55.1 This is what I originally rode on my first 26" single speed. I moved up to 36/16 once I started riding the local downhill BMX track. Works out to 58.

Since you have gears right now start playing with them. Find out your chainrings' and cogs sets' tooth counts. Ride. Try to find which gear lets you do the most riding without needing to shift. Use a calculator and find equivalents. Singlespeed your bike. Ride more.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL