mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Best FR/DJ Hardtail under $700

Looking for the best freeride/dirt jumping hardtail under $700. I have read the reviews on the site and looked at tons of sites. The Kona Scrap looks pretty interesting but i am open to other choices. ANY help would be appreciated

nOOb now rOOkie
    my local sports chilet has a chase 3 i believe for 600 right now on sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Lotta bang 4 da buck

My son got a Yakuza Chimpira (Iron Horse) for $399 delivered to our door. He LOVES it He's been banging it all over town at the skate park, dirt jump park, and college campus stairs for 2 weeks and the bike eats it up. He's got plenty of new scabs and bruises but the bike has needed zero maintenance other than cable adj. (I know it's only two weeks but he's beat it!) It's an `05, and for the price it seems like a great deal. After reading Todd_Freerides post, I agree with him get the Bakuto:

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID40386...kuto-2005.aspx
    Last edited by siskiyou; 09-06-2006 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    the best one that you can buy is a frame and upgrade everything, get Todd_freeride's stp 2 it just has some scratches but nothing big, check it out its a killer deal, I almost got it, but i didnt have enough money so I bought parts for my current bike insted

Premium Member
    If it's a purpose built DJ rig, buy a nice used frame and build it SS with only a rear brake. You'll end up with a sick ride for cheap, and it'll be WAY nicer than a complete new bike as it'll actually be a "real" DJ bike as opposed to some do-all hardtail with a double ring up front, etc.

For cheap, decent frames I'd recommend an Azonic Steelhead, or other nice DJ used frames you might see such as a Kona, a Specialized P. series, or a Giant STP. There are many many more out there of course.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by siskiyou
    My son got a Yakuza Chimpira (Iron Horse) for $399 delivered to our door. He LOVES it He's been banging it all over town at the skate park, dirt jump park, and college campus stairs for 2 weeks and the bike eats it up. He's got plenty of new scabs and bruises but the bike has needed zero maintenance other than cable adj. (I know it's only two weeks but he's beat it!) It's an `05, and for the price it seems like a great deal. Check it out:

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID40386...pira-2005.aspx
    good to hear, now that you posted that link, i'm going to get a bakuto. I know I've ridden chimpera's and absolutly loved them (ecept for the XCP DJ fork) you can pick up the XCP DJ for like $90.00 at full MSRP, really not a bad deal...but you can get a stance flow for $150.00 on ebay :P sick thing about the bakuto and chimpera is the 1.5 head tube. I have to have that on my next bike.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would like to do a DJ bike with front brakes tho. i see what your saying and i actaully thought of that today in school. I dont understand the term SS tho since i am new to the mtn bike forums.

This will be my first bike build if i do it so i need to find a list of parts i will need so i dont leave anything out by accident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeh, for an extra $150 the better components on the Bakuto is a screamin deal. I didn't know how much he would get into the urban/DJ stuff so I got him the Chimp, had I known how much he would dig it, I would have got him the Bakuto for sure. The XCP is ok for him because he's only 95lbs. and it's real plush with low stiction, but if you were 115+ you would overpower it easily. As it is he's already bottomed it at the dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    SS means single speed. it only has one gear so to speak.
    woooooooooo

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by siskiyou
    Yeh, for an extra $150 the better components on the Bakuto is a screamin deal. I didn't know how much he would get into the urban/DJ stuff so I got him the Chimp, had I known how much he would dig it, I would have got him the Bakuto for sure. The XCP is ok for him because he's only 95lbs. and it's real plush with low stiction, but if you were 115+ you would overpower it easily. As it is he's already bottomed it at the dirt jumps.
    well anymore, I'm almost thinking get the chimpera, because the "gold" bakudo really isnt all that nice to look at http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/984667/ I know the 26 inch comes in either blue or tan. but damn, the components on the bakuto are so much nicer I mean I could deal with the yellowish paintjob I guess, just liked the soft gold a lot better.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr remember
    you could build just about the best possible BMX bike out there for $700, ever consider that?
    In the mtb market at this point, $700 will unfortunetly not get you much serious equipment, but don't get me wrong, plenty to get started by and allow you to hit the trails and street to get your shred on, just as the above posters mentioned, but high component performance cannot be expected....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    you could build just about the best possible BMX bike out there for $700, ever consider that?
    In the mtb market at this point, $700 will unfortunetly not get you much serious equipment, but don't get me wrong, plenty to get started by and allow you to hit the trails and street to get your shred on, just as the above posters mentioned, but high component performance cannot be expected....
    Any recommendations on a BMW bike for that price range? Once I get my dj bike built I want to also get a BMW bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well... it's not in that price range, but the BMW HP 2 Enduro is pretty sweet!

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    Any recommendations on a BMW bike for that price range? Once I get my dj bike built I want to also get a BMW bike.

oh, BMW? not what I was talking about... BMW's (Brooklyn Machine Works) are VERY expensive, with the exception of the Park bike, and they are pretty rare as well.
    did you mean BMX- bicycle motocross, as in 20"ers - that is what I was talking about). I could suggest a few if you like...

and no, I do not care for any of BMW (the german company) motorcycles... automobiles are a different story.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    oh, BMW? not what I was talking about... BMW's (Brooklyn Machine Works) are VERY expensive, with the exception of the Park bike, and they are pretty rare as well.
    did you mean BMX- bicycle motocross, as in 20"ers - that is what I was talking about). I could suggest a few if you like...

and no, I do not care for any of BMW (the german company) motorcycles... automobiles are a different story.
    ****, typo. Yea, I meant BMX bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Wink

Yeah ajoc, I knew what ya meant, just snatched the op to jazz a bit. But the HP 2 Enduro IS a kick @ss ride

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=hp2

Ok, nothing more about motorcycles after this, I promise.
    Last edited by siskiyou; 09-07-2006 at 09:57 PM.