*B*
    mtbr member

Best complete bike for dj (geared)

I'm helping my friend get into riding again and he needs a complete bike to get him started. He wants a geared hardtail for DJ and Urban, and after searching it doesn't seem like allot of the higher end DJ bikes are offered with geared set ups for 2012. I have a STP which has done me right so I suggested that but am looking for some options that are of the same caliber or better. Any suggestions in the 1000 + range, Geared, DJ geo?
    Last edited by *B*; 02-22-2012 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *B* View Post
    I'm helping my friend get into riding again and he needs a complete bike to get him started. He wants a geared hardtail for DJ and Urban, and after searching it doesn't seem like allot of the higher end DJ bikes are offered with geared set ups for 2012. I have a STP which has done me right so I suggested that but am looking for some options that are of the same caliber or better. Any suggestions in the 1000 + range, Geared, DJ geo?
    you're right, there aren't many DJ bikes with gears any more.

here's one, though.
    ABSOLUT AL

*B*
    mtbr member
    Yea, saw that one... its not really what I'm looking for. I did look at the 2012 STP and the 2012 Santacruz Jackal. Im not really familiar with the jackal. Any opinions?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I ride a Transition Bank. Fun bike.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

*B*
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    I ride a Transition Bank. Fun bike.
    Yea dude, the Bank is nice!!! I think he is looking to spend around 1000 to 1500, but I will suggest the Bank as a top end choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can recommend the STP. I have a 2011 and have run it geared and ss. It's a fun bike and has taken all the abuse i have put it through. Try and ride a few different ones. I thought i needed the larger frame at 6'1" but ended up liking the regular a lot better.

*B*
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyxb View Post
    I can recommend the STP. I have a 2011 and have run it geared and ss. It's a fun bike and has taken all the abuse i have put it through. Try and ride a few different ones. I thought i needed the larger frame at 6'1" but ended up liking the regular a lot better.
    I actually have a 2007 STP, which I love as a geared DJ/Street bike. +1 for the STP

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    santa cruz jackal

mtbr member
    May 2014
    This thread may be dead buttttt

How much work is it to switch a bike from SS to say a 1x10? Are some bikes easier to do this on? Looking to get a dj bike for my pump track but also would like to ride it around town.
    Any info greatly appreciated.

29er
    Apr 2010
    As long as the frame has a derailleur hanger, should be a piece of cake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NarNar View Post
    This thread may be dead buttttt

How much work is it to switch a bike from SS to say a 1x10? Are some bikes easier to do this on? Looking to get a dj bike for my pump track but also would like to ride it around town.
    Any info greatly appreciated.
    I believe there is some kind of adapter for horizontal dropouts to add a derailleur hanger, but I've never done it or really looked into it.

A medium gear ratio (like 55 gear inches) should be okay for riding around town singlespeed, but I can appreciate 1x9 as well. I ride my transition double 4x/slope bike around town. Impractical as full sus totally not necessary, but it's my only geared bike at the moment. Still enjoyable ride tho. Switch on pro-pedal and add tire pressure and it's good to go. Although I might build some kind or urban/cross bike soon.