Owl
    Oct 2012

Back flips, 180s and other tricks?

How do you do it? Where do you start? I ride All Mountain and more or less Freeride, I have no problems taking off 5 foot drops and hitting large jumps, but the only thing I know how to do is keep the bike level and ready for the landing.

I feel that there has to be a better way to learn a back flip or some other spin trick other than taking off at a jump and hoping you don't land on your head. Is there places where you can learn these things without risking permanent spine injury on the first try? I live in so-cal if anyone in the area has suggestions on where to practice.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Into water, is the most forgiving, I got back flips all the way around on my 3rd try into a lake, IMO 360s are far more difficult than back flips.

Bike - YouTube

Doing them on dirt takes balls of course.

mtbr member
    Most of these tricks are learned in a foam pit. The problem is, not everyone has access to a foam pit unless they spend the money to make one themselves.

Places like Woodward have BMX camps that teach these things and so on.

For a 180 and a 360, you can learn those on the ground first. Once you get them dialed, it is fairly easy to learn them jumping and somewhat safe. Backflips.....I do suggest a foam pit or into water like suggested in the other posts.

Start out small and build you way up. Having the bunnyhop absolutely dialed is very important and if you are on a full squish, I suggest you learn these skills on a hardtail or BMX bike first. That way you can get the basics down and super dialed because once you have the basics, everything else comes a lot easier.

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    bring a few mates togheter and buy some cheap bmx bikes, learning the technique for spins and general trickery is a lot easier on a smaller bike. everyone has started somewhere and dont feel down cause you cant spin 180s or do fakies at first it will come with time!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I dunno about 360s on flat ground. That's pretty darn hard on on a BMX bike much less a MTB. I learned 180s on flat and 360s hopping off a driveway entrance (maybe a 25 degree slope?) Anyway doing a 180 is the easy part, anyone can do that. Riding out fakie is the hard part. I learned by rolling up to a curb, lifting the rear wheel off the ground, launching myself backward to learn turning out of fakie.