Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Approximately how many hours a week do you ride?

Just curious, approximately how many hours a week do you ride? And maybe break it down by what type of riding?

I've been watching a lot of BMX videos lately and have to assume that guys like Steven Hamilton spend many hours a day riding their bikes. I'm getting a late start on the whole urban/park/dj thing and sometimes wonder if I have the time to put into it to get really good. I already spend 4-6 hours a week doing endurance type riding and lately have been having trouble squeezing in time on the BMX and DJ bike

I'd like to get to the point where I'm really good at wheelies, manuals, and some other tricks, but just from what I've tried so far I think its going to require a lot of riding/practice time....which I may or may not have.

Premium Member
    It takes a LOT of time to learn. I just hop on a bike and screw around all the time, it's how I learned manulas and stuff. Just when you're riding to the trailhead/store/whatever, always practice manuls and such.

I post too much.
    As many hours as I can squeeze in to my schedule. I rarely get less than 5 hours a week during the summer, sometimes I got up to 20 or even 30 depending on my summer's work schedule.

mtbr member
    i probly ride about 15- 20 hrs. a week. but i dont work much and as soon as im off school, i ride

mtbr member
    now...the big fat 0, before i broke my bike, i liked to try for 14....about 2 hours a day.

this with school and work, and in the summer i wished i could have rode 24/7, but then sleep and nurishment becme a factor so i cut it down to about 3-4 hours a day (21-28/week)

this is all urban/free ride trails....some light x/c trails

mtbr remember
    according to my log book, for the summer of 2006 I.... heck, I have no clue....
    I ride just about everyday, whether it's commuting, or just screwing around.... never cared enough to sum it all up into numerical form.... I'm not "training". just another reason I don't have computers on any of my bikes. couldn't tell you how many miles I ride a week either, or what my avg. speed or max heart rate or any of that stuff....

no doubt though, this stuff does take massive practice and commitment...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i have no clue how long either. but 100% of my riding is urban

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It can take a while to learn skills, but you don't have to dedicate a training schedule. Just get out and work on stuff when you have time. I ride a bunch with the commuteing, road, mtn, but I do spend 2 to 10 hours a week playing around at parks, street, and trials.
    Just keep working on manuals, wheelies, whatever, you never stop learning if you keep riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    had been riding pretty hard for ~20 years... then hardly at all the last few years.
    for past few months have had maybe an hour of riding, a week... not much, but between work and having kids/family, new baby... dont have much free time....

not to mention every time it look at either of my bikes, they break.
    cracked the frame one one a few weeks back... then broke a crank on the other a week later. slapped me grollies on the top tube on that one. thats when i decided i need a new bike.
    building a proper urban bike now, so maybe i'll have more time to ride, less time holding ice on me broken bits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the last few weeks has been 20 hrs a week or so at the dj's

Salsa Shark
    I would say on average 16. Two hours on weekdays before and after school, and three hours or weekend days. Sometimes more, not very often less.

BMX.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    its hard to say...but probably around 13-14 hrs from monday-friday and then another....5-7 on the weekend. during the school/work week i just basically ride urban type stuff and mess around on the little ramps my friend made out of spare wood from work. we just set it up and make different stuff to ride each day. we usually can't make it out to the trails/jumps until friday or the weekend. we will have our local DJ spot up and running again once the winter rain comes. we're DYING to get our local spot back to riding condition.

when it comes to learning this type of riding....practice makes perfect! some awesome things to do are just basically go out and manual everything you see...and try hopping over stuff. go out and ride thru a parking lot and see how many parking spaces you can manual. it will get easier when you start finding the balance. learning how to manual IMO is an awesome skill to have for both balance and learning how to manipulate the bike well. just have fun and don't worry about time so much..you got all the time in world as long as you stick with it.

Air Junkie
    15-18hrs a week, DJ during the day, Urban at night and then Park really late, once all the skateboarder's mommies come get them. Thank god for 24hr outdoor lighted parks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Holy crap, from the looks of it I've gotten into something thats going to require a lot of TIME which I don't really have. Oh to be 15 again!!

I have a job, a house to take care of, a few other hobbies, etc. I just wonder if I have the time to get good enough at this to really enjoy myself. I used to think mountain bike racers (XC) were hardcore spending 10-15 hours a week on their endurance training. I think my max has been about 8 hours during the week. Some of you guys spend way more than that LOL!!

Hmmmmm....

mtbr member
    obviously with a job a girlfriend and friends and other responsibilities and things to do its impossible to ride 15 hours a day but i suspect thats how much you need to be good and keep progressing.

Summertime i managed to squeeze 6-8hours a week. (some progression there)
    As fall and spring come that number drops to about 3-4hours a week for me. (kinda just keeps you sane)
    best week this year was probably 9-10hours only happened about once (huge progression)

mtbr remember
    shouldn't you be enjoying yourself while you are learning? I have to admit though, sometimes I do just go out, and it's one of those days where I just cannot pull anything, or it's so windy, you feel like you're trying to manual or jump with a monkey hanging off your front tire, and I get so frickin' frustrated... but then I look back at it at the end of the day and think, wow, well that was still way better than work, hahaha....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    shouldn't you be enjoying yourself while you are learning? I have to admit though, sometimes I do just go out, and it's one of those days where I just cannot pull anything, or it's so windy, you feel like you're trying to manual or jump with a monkey hanging off your front tire, and I get so frickin' frustrated... but then I look back at it at the end of the day and think, wow, well that was still way better than work, hahaha....
    I will admit that it is frustrating for me to try and learn some of this technical riding. I kinda see this as something similar to figure skating where you have to practice the same things over and over and over again before you get good, and then on some days when things aren't quite right you will still suck no matter how much you've practiced.

The last couple weeks have made me REALLY respect what some of these BMX'ers can do. Even though I'm not down with the whole BMX culture (if you know what I mean...I'm too old for that) I really respect the amount of time these guys have put into their riding. I mean, its hard for me to do the SIMPLEST things on a bike and I've been racing for years...but what some of these guys do I cannot even imagine be able to get to that point.

So I guess, I question whether its worth it. Maybe I'm just too into instant gratification...and technical BMX type riding (Park and Urban) is not something you can get good at overnight.

mtbr member
    Amen brother Mojo, this type of riding takes years to get down. I'm kinda in the same boat with being married, 2 kids and a job. It's hard to find time to get a good session so I grab whatever tid bits of time I can get. I blew off all my other hobbies to make time for riding. Luckily my youngest got her training wheels off not too long ago and is a savage rider just like me So I take her and her older sister to the dirt jumps and ride together. I'd just watch them ride the track for a while, have them take a break and hit the jumps myself.

Riding park I usually do for an hour or two in the morning before work. And those crap ass days at work I'll come home and grab the bike and head to the park to burn off the frustration. With me I love every min being on my bike so when I fall and hurt myself I get right back up and hit it again. At the end of the session I'll be hurting but have a huge smile on my face.

On weekends I head to the big park in Placerville and ride the early morning so I can get up to 5hrs that day. That day is usually when I progress the most. So I get 5-10hrs at week. Usually bmx riding

Too Kool for Skool
    15-25 atleast
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    I ride about 25-30 hours a week. I do around 4 hours a day 7 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

SOG
    mtbr member
    I commute on my fix gear to work so I get 10 hours of fitness riding. I ride DJ's about 5 hours a week 2 1 hour sessions after work and 3 hours on the weekend. I also DH about 5 hours a week(same as above). I also get about 2 hours on the BMX tack on Friday nights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ride 15-20 hours a week. I ride for about two hours after shcool. I ride dirt and i dirt jump. But lately i have riding my bmx bike, learning to grind. But i ride as much as i can.
    98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 2 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    No it does't take that much time to practice, just keep trying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You are going about it the wrong way. You are treating as a commitment with an end result, don't view it like that. Think of street riding as a fun stress releaver and a way to have fun riding whenever you want, as well as having the positive result of maybe being really good one day. Really, you can easily fit in 30 minutes to an hour or so into your day. I'm really busy as well, so I find myself doing a good percentage of my street riding at 10-12 o'clock at night. Instead of watching t.v. or whatever you do at night, go outside just in front of your house and practice manuals or fakies or whatever for a little while. It's a good way to get a little bit of exercise, have some fun, relieve some stress, and you feel really good when you're done. Also, be aware that people always exagerate things on the internet, most people aren't really spending 16 hrs a week on their bikes every week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    at least 30 sometimes in summer w/ long days id get 14 hours of riding in one day then sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp. id get like 70 a week but schools back in so ive been getting 3-4 hours 4 days and as much as i acn on weekends so prob like 30ish or 40-50 on a non busy week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast