Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?

I'm in my early 50's. Spent almost an hour yesterday trying to learn and practice some simple flatland tricks - bunny hops over curbs, jumps off small structures, manuals, wheelies etc. Not very good at them. But, felt like it was a good workout - fun way to get a little fitness. Occasionally bored with regular bicycle riding.

Any thoughts from the older crowd?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm 53, and not very good at all of those things also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

44 here!

I'm an XC rider and I tried (rented) a DJ quite a few times last winter. So much fun! Even got one for Xmas this year (ya a bit early)!
    Pump tracks are a great workout plus it's plain fun to ride something so different than my usual 2x10 29er XC race bike...
    No gears, no clips, no delicate carbon, just hop on and play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm pushing 40 and thinking about buying a DJ rig to play around with.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    42...just bought my first dj bike .

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    51 and more interested in the pumps and jumps than street. Great for riding, great for fitness. The best part of learning skills so late in life is getting to be a better rider each year.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I'm still in after 50, never gave it up...
    ...and trials skills come in handy too!

Try it all, AARP should have a commercial for this!...LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    heading to that age, but i'd like to start learning how to do this kinda stuff...but the problem is i'm old and have no insurance

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    heading to that age, but i'd like to start learning how to do this kinda stuff...but the problem is i'm old and have no insurance
    Insurance in america is often a false sense of security. Wasn't health care the number one cause of bankruptcy before the housing bubble burst?
    Go for it and have some fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    it was, for people who had the really serious illnesses and had insurance payouts expire...but for me, a broken bone will still put a nice dent in my wallet that insurance could handle

i dont' even know how/where to begin something like this...i got the itch after watching "strength in numbers" really cool film

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Turned 40 this year and getting my first DJ/ trials bike this weekend. I rode primarily street as a teen but did so on a xc mtb so I'm pretty excited to try this with a bike better suited for that kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just put together my first DJ bike last summer after turning 40 in April. I am more focused on the pump track than grabbing big air, though I do find my tires leaving the ground more and more each time I ride. I just wish I would have discovered all of this ten or fifteen years ago...

Matt
    2008 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Transition Bank
    Giant Yukon HT w/ skinny tires (for family rides)

mtbr member
    47 and still jumping!

You can let yourself get old, or you can stay young, it's your choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    if there's someone in houston who will show me how, then i will choose to stay young

Raymond Donald Franklin
    I'm six months shy of being 40.

I rode freestyle for a few years in my youth and I can still pull off some flatland tricks on a MTB, but never tried jumps until I found a local MTB park with jumps (Woodward in Fresno).

Just got a SC Jackal frame, and I'm transferring parts from GT Ruckus DJ that I've had for a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There's about six of us riding together here in San Diego. The young guy is 55 the old guy is 74. We typically ride 3 to 5 days a week, 10 to 15 miles, our ride this weekend will be Noble Canyon and Mount Laguna,next weekend palm Canyon out by Palm Springs. Just get on the bike and pedal It'll all work out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here's a little video evidence that over the hill guys can do this:

How To ride Dirt Jumps when you Suck from PlusSizeBMX on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    45 here. Was HEAVILY into bmx in the 80's, Raced and just did crazy stuff. Me and friends rode a rickety old 1/2 pipe we built out in the woods. Jumped a few cars. Turned 18 and Was away from bikes for too many years. Got back on MTB's for good in 2005 and felt like it hadn't been more than a few days. Still remembered most of the mechanics of handling a bike in an aggressive manner. I still do lots jumps, drops, etc. - not quite as high and far as I did back in the day though - I have to work after all. Its just so much fun

If any of you are near a RAYs Indoor park (Cleveland and Milwaukee) get there as soon as you can. 4 hours away for me but have brought my sons there a few times the past 2 winters. Talk about a place making you feel like a kid again. Best part is my boys think i'm cool that I ride. Feels amazing to have your boys respect you and tell you they think you're cool. Probably doesn't hurt that I still snowboard with them too. Most of their friend's dads sit around watching football all weekend or golf.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
    Just put together my first DJ bike last summer after turning 40 in April. I am more focused on the pump track than grabbing big air, though I do find my tires leaving the ground more and more each time I ride. I just wish I would have discovered all of this ten or fifteen years ago...

Matt
    Same here. I turn 39 in February, and just started riding my Yeti DJ a few months ago on the pump track and urban. I'm looking forward to taking it on the easy trails that bore me and make it exciting.

Jumping is still kinda scary, but I found I could wheelie this thing. Couldn't believe it--I can wheelie!

It is fun being the old person at the BMX/pump track. You get to meet all sorts of people, got to meet a 2nd grader who proudly told me that along with his name as he was rocking it
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just turned 40 and just bought an Airborne wingman DJ. I had a 24" bmx bike before that, but didn't like it and sold it.

Looking forward to hitting Rays in Wisconsin this month and building my pump track and jump skills back up to the level I ha when I raced BMX in the 70's and 80's as a kid.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    45 here and did my fist BMX race this past September! Also, I ride a DJ bike when we hit up Ray's (I rent one of their bikes) and am hoping to build up my own DJ/Race bike over the winter. I mostly do MTB these days, but love all disciplines of cycling as well as learning new tricks. Actually surprised myself a few weeks ago at Ray's by clearing all the jumps on the easier line in the Rhythm Room (Transferland). Can't think of many better (or more fun) ways to spend the day with your kids!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yzblue242 View Post
    45 here and did my fist BMX race this past September! Also, I ride a DJ bike when we hit up Ray's (I rent one of their bikes) and am hoping to build up my own DJ/Race bike over the winter. I mostly do MTB these days, but love all disciplines of cycling as well as learning new tricks. Actually surprised myself a few weeks ago at Ray's by clearing all the jumps on the easier line in the Rhythm Room (Transferland). Can't think of many better (or more fun) ways to spend the day with your kids!
    As fun as Rays is that place can be quite humbling. I like that they have 'novice' and expert jump lines. You can really tell who the kids are that must be locals. The jumping skills and smoothness they ride with is really something to see

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    43 and and I ride pump tracks, skateparks, dirtjumps, and a couple trips to Ray's every winter. I'm a recovering endurance racer that started riding DH about 8 years ago then quickly took up a DJ bike to work on jumping skills. I was an avid vert skater all my youth so skatepark riding came very easy to me. I was at ray's last weekend and i think i may have been the oldest person there but i wasn't the worst and i sure was having fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    First time poster... Was googling almost this exact question and came across this forum/thread, so I am very new to the mtbr forum.

I had been wondering if there were any "old guys" dirt jumping. Particularly just starting out in DJ. I'm quickly approaching 40, and while I'm not ready to refer to myself as old, I'm obviously older than the typical newbie DJ rider. Good to know there are others!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I see others posting here that have been to Ray's. I have some questions and the answers from the older (wiser??) crowd posting here would be more meaningful to me than the typical DJ population. So...

Is Ray's (CLE) a good place to start DJ, or is the learning curve (and DJs) too steep and big for a beginner? I'm in good shape and relatively good on XC trails, so I hope to progress quickly, but will want to step up gradually.

What clothes and what pads do your wear at Ray's? Jeans, shorts, long-sleeve, short-sleeve; Knee, elbow, hard shell, soft, etc. What else should I plan for on a trip to Ray's?

Thanks for any advice!

Johnny

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny* View Post

Is Ray's (CLE) a good place to start DJ, or is the learning curve (and DJs) too steep and big for a beginner? I'm in good shape and relatively good on XC trails, so I hope to progress quickly, but will want to step up gradually.

What clothes and what pads do your wear at Ray's? Jeans, shorts, long-sleeve, short-sleeve; Knee, elbow, hard shell, soft, etc. What else should I plan for on a trip to Ray's?

Thans for any advice!

Johnny
    Welcome. Rays literally has something for everyone and it is designed that way. I had my 7 yr old son with me on one trip and there is stuff there for expert to pro level Dj riders. There are even a couple xc loops. They have beginner to expert level "jump lines", beginner "trails" and stunts. They even have a beginners room. They have lots of expert and novice level stuff too. The place is a blast and everyone seems to be very cool. everyone is there for the same reason. When I go I wear bggy mtb shorts. I'm sure board shorts would be fine but I like my boys to be nice and snug if you know what I mean. I wear a long sleeve jersey over a t-shirt and my bike helmet. Gloves too cuz my hands sweat. If you go on a cold winters day it will be chilly in there but you'll warm up quick from riding.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast