Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?

26K views 106 replies 57 participants last post by  cglasford 
#1 ·
I'm in my early 50's. Spent almost an hour yesterday trying to learn and practice some simple flatland tricks - bunny hops over curbs, jumps off small structures, manuals, wheelies etc. Not very good at them. But, felt like it was a good workout - fun way to get a little fitness. Occasionally bored with regular bicycle riding.

Any thoughts from the older crowd?

#96 ·
Ya'll going to run me out on a rail, being 34 and all, but I was looking for exactly this kind of thread. It's an inspiration and great example for some of us on the older "kid" side of the fence.

Been thinking about BMX, but never did it, or skated as a kid. I wouldn't say I was sheltered, but the first words out of my parent's mouth regarding anything even remotely "risky" (don't want to use the word dangerous) was usually discouraging. I didn't get into XC until 28 or so.

Well, a skate park just opened literally down the block from me. Outdoors and free! (Philly is finally catching on) I rode my 26 and fixed a little on it, but itching to check out BMX. But then it kept creeping into the back of my head, a voice sayin "you're to old to start that now"... But you guys are proving you are only as old as ya feel/act. Gonna get me a cheap BMX and try some park/pump!

And Cmg71, you are a rad dad!:thumbsup:

#99 ·
Rad Mom?

You are WAY Not too old to start! I'm 45 with 2 kids (8 & 6) I got a DJ from my family for Xmas last year. Ride XC all the time but all winter, we have an awesome indoor park in our area (Joyride) and I am totally hooked especially on the pump track. They open on PA days & I am usually the only Mom not sitting around just watching. Hopefully I don't embarrass my kids cause I am having so much fun playing with them!

#107 ·
I'm not part of the older crowd but this guy Griff that I coach from time to time is 64 and is pretty rad, has a blog Mountain Bike Geezer | Singletrack, gravity, bicycling issues & more and he has really been working on pump tracks and learning to pump flat ground, good article by Lee McCormack Lee Likes Bikes

I would recommend finding a pump track or a bmx track and just going and playing there... it will really increase your skills and make you feel like a kid again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.