Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Racegates138 View Post
    I'm 46 and I bought the Specialized p26 pro in black and love it. I've been at Rays in Cleveland several times this winter and felt so good to be airborne again. Started off small then went into foam pit and then jumped into the rhythm room, no tricks yet but jumping felt so good again. I will post some pics.
    What's the height range for the P26? I'm 5'4"-----do you it would fit? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Spirit,

the p26 pro and all the other p3 bikes only come in one frame size. I'm 5'10" and my friend is 5'4" and we both love the fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I'm 53, and not very good at all of those things also.
    Ditto!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ha!, 54 now. Best part of being old is that I wake up way before the youngins and have the skate park all to myself for a couple of hours. Small wheels seem to condense time or maybe I'm just runing out of it. Anyway, at my skill level the more time on the bike the more comfortable it becomes.

Early morning ride
    Specialized P20

Specialized P20

Dropping in to this bowl is on my to do list
    Things I Need To Do

Even if I never have has much style as this kid on the exit
    Things I Need To Do
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 06-17-2013 at 07:35 AM.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    I am sort of lame at linking media.
    Someone please link: Gregory Lap 2 from YouTube.
    47 years old and hoping to build up the guts to hit a line at the post office before it gets plowed.

mtbr member
    Turned 50 in Dec. picked up a SE Dirt Flyer, sweet bike and working on getting my old skills back. Well worth the pain - lovin it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?

58 years old. 2 stents in heart. Retired last year. Was going to buy an elliptical. Instead moved to Colorado and bought a Tallboy LTC. Two of the best things I have ever done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    43 here, haven't ridden bicycles this century....until yesterday. My 10 year old has been asking me to build him a ramp. I rode raced BMX and rode ramps/flat land through out my teens. I ended up building him a 32" tall kick ramp and a smaller 12"er to start jumping on. I got him started learning a "kick turn" (what I knew the trick to be called, decades ago) and rolling back off the ramp, doing a 180* and riding out of it. Then trying to show him proper techniques for landing jumps. We ended up swapping his bike back and forth all day, although I'm sore today.....WE had fun riding together. Surprisingly enough, the mind still knew how to do it but it seems my body has long since forgotten (sore today, I am). Today I found myself looking at bikes and that things aren't as simple as they were in the 80's. Through the Google searches for info on different styles and how things are sized now, I came across this thread and was compelled to write this post. I'll be figuring out what type/size bike would be right for me. It's good to see I'm not the only one with the idea of picking up this hobby so late in life. I was hoping for a multipurpose bike that would be good for some ramp riding, flat land and road riding but have a lot of research to do to figure it all out. To all those who have posted, thanks. This thread is a big push forward, for me.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by dksix View Post
    ...I was hoping for a multipurpose bike that would be good for some ramp riding, flat land and road riding but have a lot of research to do to figure it all out..
    Sounds like a 24" DJ/Park bike with pegs would be a good compromise. Big enough for road riding, small enough for flatland if you're tall enough.

Or stick with 20".

mtbr member
    Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?-img_0383.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	834567Click image for larger version. 

ID:	834567Hey guys,
    I'm 47, rode and raced bmx from age 10 to 25, been riding mtb off and on since, I usually build a new bike every year. Built my first DJ bike last year (P1) I love riding it, I feel comfortable on bmx tracks but am very intimidated by the big pump tracks in the Seattle area. I'm just going to have to go and start some where, and wear lots of pads.
    Last edited by Hank Moody; 09-24-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Fernie B.C.

Fernie Dirt Jump Skills Park

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow, Holy awesomeness!!! Did you actually ride it though? LOL, really amazing dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ha, yes really fun. I ride it all except the series in the third photo, that section is still a little big for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok. This thread has convinced me this is something I wanna try.
    Is there a park in Los Angeles that's beginner friendly or has rentals to try out ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The Cove - Santa Monica Skatepark- try this park, I think it's on Olympic. Great people there, very friendly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Saddle, what size are you pics? I'm trying to upload pics on here and it says files is to big. Do you have a trick up your sleeve?

passed out in your garden
    42 here, and Im not getting old, just my body is.

After pilfering parts off my missus' old Scott Aspect 20 for my daughters race bike, I decided to cheaply turn it into a DJ/trick/track bike. She sent me a message this arvo that the final parts have arrived, so Im leaving work early to go home and finish it off . It is being done on the cheap though, all up about 200 bucks spent, may sort it out better as time goes by and if I feel it needs it.

Im a little excited.

Hopefully will go to a bmx or pump track with my boy this weekend (should be better than with my 29er)
    Last edited by cmg71; 08-16-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Re: Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?

Here's a really bad pic of it

Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?-uploadfromtaptalk1376630413291.jpg

for my 200 bucks I got:
    • wheel set, Alex Rims on BrandX hubs 89.90
    • 2x Clark Discs & Brakes 40.00
    • 2x Cable sets (only needed 1 set in hindsight) 22.00
    • DMR Single Speed Set (Tensioner, Spacers etc) 45.00

The disc brakes are mechanical, as I figured you dont need to stop on a track, just slow down. As you can see Im currently using the middle front cog, 15 tooth rear (out of the old cassette) and the old 9 speed chain, told you I was doing it on the cheap . Im using the old Avid brake levers off my daughters bike (as she got the SLX brakes that were on this one earlier) and some pedals that were just lying around.

I may call it "Frankenbike"

So tomorrow its off to the track
    1993 Colnago Elegant

so to the BMX track we went

I was landing really hard, then I let a little air out of the tyres and things got better.
    Still not happy with the gearing on my bike, but Ive got time to work on it. I did get a little more of the bug though, and I do have a feeling this is gonna hurt, the body and the wallet

Im in no way "extreme", or high in my jumps but I'm loving it
    The little fella loves it too (and thats the important thing), and it wont be long before he's handing me my arse on a plate.
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    going cruising...

Specialized P24

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey you flatulent old bastids! I'm 51 and found the crack cocaine of cycling. Hitting the small stuff at the Truckee dirt jumps and very stoked.

mtbr member
    Ya'll going to run me out on a rail, being 34 and all, but I was looking for exactly this kind of thread. It's an inspiration and great example for some of us on the older "kid" side of the fence.

Been thinking about BMX, but never did it, or skated as a kid. I wouldn't say I was sheltered, but the first words out of my parent's mouth regarding anything even remotely "risky" (don't want to use the word dangerous) was usually discouraging. I didn't get into XC until 28 or so.

Well, a skate park just opened literally down the block from me. Outdoors and free! (Philly is finally catching on) I rode my 26 and fixed a little on it, but itching to check out BMX. But then it kept creeping into the back of my head, a voice sayin "you're to old to start that now"... But you guys are proving you are only as old as ya feel/act. Gonna get me a cheap BMX and try some park/pump!

And Cmg71, you are a rad dad!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Racegates138 View Post
    Saddle, what size are you pics? I'm trying to upload pics on here and it says files is to big. Do you have a trick up your sleeve?
    Sorry I missed your post. I host the photos on flickr and then grab the html code and paste it here, you can choose the size when you grap the link. I'm using 1024x 768.

mtbr member
    45 here
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Rad Mom?

Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Ya'll going to run me out on a rail, being 34 and all, but I was looking for exactly this kind of thread. It's an inspiration and great example for some of us on the older "kid" side of the fence.

Been thinking about BMX, but never did it, or skated as a kid. I wouldn't say I was sheltered, but the first words out of my parent's mouth regarding anything even remotely "risky" (don't want to use the word dangerous) was usually discouraging. I didn't get into XC until 28 or so.

Well, a skate park just opened literally down the block from me. Outdoors and free! (Philly is finally catching on) I rode my 26 and fixed a little on it, but itching to check out BMX. But then it kept creeping into the back of my head, a voice sayin "you're to old to start that now"... But you guys are proving you are only as old as ya feel/act. Gonna get me a cheap BMX and try some park/pump!

And Cmg71, you are a rad dad!
    You are WAY Not too old to start! I'm 45 with 2 kids (8 & 6) I got a DJ from my family for Xmas last year. Ride XC all the time but all winter, we have an awesome indoor park in our area (Joyride) and I am totally hooked especially on the pump track. They open on PA days & I am usually the only Mom not sitting around just watching. Hopefully I don't embarrass my kids cause I am having so much fun playing with them!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast