Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    No, haven't had a chance to try it yet. I ended up helping my friend moving some stuff around that afternoon, and I came back to work shortly afterwards. I own and operate an 18-wheeler, so I've been away from home since. I have a beater DJ bike strapped to my trailer, but it's a little too cold to ride (for a wussy middle-aged Californian) here in Missouri.

I'm scheduled to arrive home around Feb 7th. I'll post a video if I make any progress.

cool, you can see what i'm talking about in this video i made the other day. Notice on the first 180 i didn't get my head all the way around and the bike landed where i was looking and notice how on the 2nd 180 throughout the jump i got my head around more.

First hop barspin - YouTube

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Thanks for the video. I noticed you're jumping off a curb doing 180. Is that easier than doing it on flat ground? Seems you'll have ever so slightly more time to rotate the bike before the tires hit the ground.

I probably should get a cheap rear wheel for practicing this. I don't want to bend my FR2050 rim. Seems nobody makes red rims anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i didn't notice much of a difference, but i'm new to pavement riding and 180 off the curb was scarier for me than flatland 180's lol i rode in my backyard till winter made it to sloppy to ride on.

The main problem i found with 180's off that curb was being scared and not going fast enough and clipping the curb with my front tire as i came around.

mtbr member
    Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?

Yeah, I'm 62. Haven't ridden a MTB since I was 40.

I've been sick for quite a few years. I'm healing now thanks to great nutrition, and I feel so good now that I just got a MTB the other day. I need exercise, and exercise in & of itself is BORING. SUX! Much better to get out in the sunshine & fresh air.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 49 I started riding for exercise and weight loss and love it...I'm a addict now

Serve it up!
    Apr 2009
    Turning 43. Jumpin my DJ out at the Folsom trail. Any body want to charge it let me know. Got over 13 jumps/obstacles going on 2 mile loop.

banned
    Aug 2012
    51, and trying to get the body to remember stuff I did as a kid ... Without killing myself

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Im in my 50's and it's fun to try some small tricks like you mentioned mm9
    I just built my first hardtail dj bike and will soon be trying some small tricks with it
    it's a bit of a learning curve if your use to a full suspension bike like I was cause you come down with no plush ouch!.

mtbr member
    52 here & since my biking time is so limited now days due to working 2 much OT (saving for retirement, ugggh) I find a simple DJ bike my favorite overall bike. Do miss long XC rides, freeriding & Whistler trips but since I been MTB'ing for 25+ yrs now (i.e.: been there & done that, all over western US & CAN) don't like using up time & money on travel & now prefer staying local. Anyway, i'm close to buying a Transition PBJ from Go Huck Yourself (LBS)
    Ride ON!
    Just an old bike geek. Lifelong Cyclist. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member

45 here!

Going be 46 next month! I ride BMX, 26" DJ, MTB, and road.......the active life is a good life!!

Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?-564706_10151607560082053_655155621_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    45, been MTBing since 1990 or so, mostly trail/XC with a good bit of DH thrown in. Started getting interested in the DJ/park thing from following my kid around after he 'retired' from BMX racing and turned into a park rat at the ripe old age of 7. Built a few 26" and 24" bikes, but bit the bullet last year and bought a nice 20" ride and since then, I've ridden my mtbs about as much in the past year as I used to in a week; just been having way to much fun on the little bike, even if it is kinda rough on the old bones. Having a pretty good spring so far - managed to figure out 180's, riding fakie for 20-30', some little grinds, making a turn on vert, and dropping in / popping out of all sorts of stuff I never would have thought I'd be able to a few years ago. The kids get a kick out of it when I tell them my goal is to make a turn above the coping by the time I'm 50.

Airborne Flight Crew

Freestyle/street in the 80's. MTB early 90's. Dropped out completely for about 10 years, back in to it in 2005, but only really on a dj bike for the last year or so. Working on seeing how much I can gain back from what I lost...

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Working on seeing how much I can gain back from what I lost...
    Seems to me you still have more than most of us ever had I absolutely suck at jumping...

Airborne Flight Crew
    thanks - it was my thing when I a lad, haha. Manuals, bunnyhops and 180s and the like, not sure I'll every get back. I sort of miss riding "urban", might have to put some effort in to that. Its harder now though, don't have the peers around to push and heckle you.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    ...Its harder now though, don't have the peers around to push and heckle you.
    Yeah, that helps a lot. We can post pics and vids here, but it's not quite the same.

mtbr member
    I'd like to get into this, too. What bikes are you riding? I've looked at the Specialized P20 and P26, but being a complete novice in BMX, I don't know what wheel size/bike would work best for me. I'd mostly be riding some dirt jumps out in the woods.

mtbr member
    Bmx freestyle during the 80s, stopped for about 20 years, I'm 45 and I ride an mtb nowadays.

I would like to say that age doesn't matter, but sadly it does, I can maybe do half of the stuff that I used to do on a bmx, and injuries take a looooong time to heal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any age 40s - 50s + Rider Here?-547154_454924194541103_177872125_n.jpg  

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    I'd like to get into this, too. What bikes are you riding? I've looked at the Specialized P20 and P26, but being a complete novice in BMX, I don't know what wheel size/bike would work best for me. I'd mostly be riding some dirt jumps out in the woods.
    If you're going to be dirt jumping in the woods, I'd go with a 26" wheeled bike. Going back and forth from 20" to 26" can be tricky. You can always buy used, but Airborne is having a special on their Dirt Jump bike for $499. Its a great ride for someone trying to get their feet wet with dirt jumps...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Pkay View Post
    Bmx freestyle during the 80s, stopped for about 20 years, I'm 45 and I ride an mtb nowadays.

I would like to say that age doesn't matter, but sadly it does, I can maybe do half of the stuff that I used to do on a bmx, and injuries take a looooong time to heal.

For sure... I'm about in the same boat. Nice air there, btw!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    2 years shy of 40 here... so I really don't count in this lot. BUT! Two weeks ago, I attended the Old School BMX Reunion at WoodWard West. Here is my edit, and ESPN's edit. This was the one event that goes down as the MOST fun I've ever had on a bike. Ever.

It was surreal. I had a conversation with Mat Hoffman about GoPro cameras. We watched the movie "Rad" with Eddie Fiola and Martin Aparijo (they were the stunt riders in the famous Send Me an Angel dance scene). Both of those guys are 50 and still rip. In fact, all those guys in their 40's and 50's still shred. Jose Yanez invented the damn back-flip and was the stunt man doing it in "Rad"... they were all very cool and incredibly good. Can't wait 'til next year!

Old School BMX Reunion 2013 | X games Video and Audio | ESPN.co.uk

Dudette
    Going on 42 here. No experience with bmx (although I did buy one a few years ago, right before they tore down the local track). I've been riding mtb since 2006 and now I'm fascinated with dirt/park riding. I'm finding it hard to figure out what would work best for me and not be too big (5'4" tall - with shoes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    45, been riding mtb's for 20+ years, picked up a 20" to follow my kid around the skateparks a couple years ago. Funnest bike I've had in ages; even with gobs of singletrack literally at my doorstep, I find myself raching for the BMX almost as often as heading out to the woods.
    FWIW, after a few years of trying to get a 26" (Sinster DNA, full rigid, park build) to work for me in the parks, I decided to get the right tool for the job and picked up a Premium Deathtrap. After a short adjustment period, I gotta say I'll never go back to big wheels for this kind of riding. The 20"ers just fit everything better, and the bike is so much easier to toss around. Took a bunch of test-rides to find one that felt right after all those years riding mtb's, but I highly recommend giving a few a try if you're thinking of getting a dedicated bike for park/DJ. Things just seem to come a lot easier on them.

mtbr member
    I'd love to get into BMX, but I'm clueless about what bike to buy. 20" or 26"? What brand? etc.. I wouldn't want to invest a huge amount of money, but I want a bike that won't require upgrades---just a good bike, ready to ride. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A nice BMX bike is cheaper than an 'okay' MTB fork...for under 500 bucks new you can pick up a sweet ride. Go to the local shop and pedal a bunch of them around a bit; pick the one that feels the least alien.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 46 and I bought the Specialized p26 pro in black and love it. I've been at Rays in Cleveland several times this winter and felt so good to be airborne again. Started off small then went into foam pit and then jumped into the rhythm room, no tricks yet but jumping felt so good again. I will post some pics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast