Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Started riding 3 years ago after a 25 year hiatus. I had no idea about all the changes and how bikes had evolved so much. Now at 50 I am glad I am riding again and I feel a lot better and am in better shape than some kids half my age..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I got my dj bike built up last Night and did a little urban...fun stuff.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Nice DNA!

I already posted this in other threads, but here's my Jackal that I just finished assembling. Not a super-light build with 9-speed and a dropper post, but it is a few pounds lighter than my '07 GT Rucks DJ it replaced. Super easy to manual.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Nice DNA!

I already posted this in other threads, but here's my Jackal that I just finished assembling. Not a super-light build with 9-speed and a dropper post, but it is a few pounds lighter than my '07 GT Rucks DJ it replaced. Super easy to manual.

Sweet build, I can see maybe building another like yours with gears and a dropper...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    56.... Biked a heck of a lot more in the mid 90's. saw a Kona Kahuna 29er and fell for it, so now I'm going to try and get back what I had. I am not expecting much, but all the anticipation is building. Dang winter!

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    Sweet build, I can see maybe building another like yours with gears and a dropper...
    Thanks! Interesting you mention, after my first ride on the bike, I realized how nice a lightweight bike is for urban riding and I thought about converting it to a SS.

It's really nice having a dropper, though. My knees tend to protest when I pedal sitting on the low saddle.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Turned 40 this year and have been riding dirt jumps the last 15 years and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

mtbr member
    44 and tried my first DJ and indoor pump track last week - I'm hooked

Never did bmx when younger so pretty much starting from scratch though I ride just about every other kind of mountain bike and have lots of fun. Mainly doing this for the workout and to learn some better bike handling skills.

Was up on a trail last night and was able to keep the front wheel up when rolling over litte jumps in the trail like I was trying in the indoor pump track - was pretty cool at least for me

Baby steps is how I'll call it but I'll be back at the pump track next week

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    52 and still DJ. Also have slopestyle and Downhill bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Raymond Donald Franklin

Parking lot poser

Rain finally quit for a change yesterday, so I rode a little bit at a nearby parking lot.

Jackal manual from Katz on Vimeo.

EDIT Made one more video. First one minute or so is basically the repeat of the above video, except I'm a little closer to the camera. Then there's pathetic attempt on 180 (more like 135), bunnyhop-manual, and chest cam.

middle aged guy urban riding from Katz on Vimeo.

Last edited by Katz; 12-26-2012 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    52 years old. MTB since the mid 80's. XC and technical rockcrawling type stuff, but no BMX background. Took me 3 years to learn a seated wheelie, 15 min or so at the beginning and end of every XC ride. Now I'm wheelieing around corners. But the manual is eluding me. 1 parking space or so, but for an extended manual I just can't seem to find the balance point. Its hard on my back to repeatedly jerk the wheel up so lately I've been trying to ease into it from a seated wheelie, with the seat set very low. This is easier on my back, but I still can't find the sweet spot. Any tips?

Bought a Pivot M4X. It takes the sting out of the flatter jump landings compared to a hard tail. My knees don't feel the same as they did 30 years ago... Awesome bike. Way more fun than a sports car, and more fun than an XC bike. Sooooo much fun.

With a 6" KS dropper seat post, I can ride XC, slam the seat on the fly to hop a log or do anything sketchy, drop it 3" for a seated wheelie. Makes any ride more playful.

Full suspension in the skate park seems ridiculous, but man it is butter smooth. Less fatigue for sure for my joints.
    Often wrong but never in doubt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureslop View Post

Bought a Pivot M4X. It takes the sting out of the flatter jump landings compared to a hard tail. .
    Thats exactly why I ride my Killswitch.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by pureslop View Post
    ...But the manual is eluding me. 1 parking space or so, but for an extended manual I just can't seem to find the balance point. Its hard on my back to repeatedly jerk the wheel up so lately I've been trying to ease into it from a seated wheelie, with the seat set very low. This is easier on my back, but I still can't find the sweet spot. Any tips?
    Balance point is lower than wheelie. It's just above the point where front wheel drops to the ground, and you hump (pump) to keep the wheel up. When the front wheel goes too high, my arse moves too far forward and I end up almost sitting on the saddle. When you get to that point, you can't pump and you start using the rear brake heavily, killing the distance.

Also I strongly suggest reading the article in the link below.

Mountain Bike Action Magazine Article on “the Manual” by Bikeskills’ Joe Lawwill

In a nutshell, the article explains the proper way to lift the front wheel. You pull backwards with your arms and upper body, while pushing the bike forward with the pedals, rather than using your upper body strength and pull up. Absolutely no jerking motion. This will probably take care of your backpain also, but I don't see anything wrong with riding into manual from wheelie until you nail the balance point.

I had side-to-side balance problem, and this technique took care of it.

Full suspension in the skate park seems ridiculous, but man it is butter smooth. Less fatigue for sure for my joints.
    I still take my GT Distortion when I go jump. I have a thinning disc on my spine - my body feels MUCH better at the end of a day jumping with a FS bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I'm doing it all wrong...
    Often wrong but never in doubt.

!snotrocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    Thats exactly why I ride my Killswitch.

that's a sexy looking beast! what's the wheel build?
    coastin' along

ride more
    Mar 2007
    This is a great thread...that killswitch is Bad Ass...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice! not bad on the 180 attempts, i noticed you didn't keep your head turn all the way through the whole jump. if u notice in your video where your head stops turning is where the bike points when u land. when u carve and start the 180, turn your head and pick a spot behind you and keep an eye on that spot for the whole jump. if your back wheel lands before the complete 180 u gotta suck your legs up more

Rain finally quit for a change yesterday, so I rode a little bit at a nearby parking lot.

Jackal manual from Katz on Vimeo.

EDIT Made one more video. First one minute or so is basically the repeat of the above video, except I'm a little closer to the camera. Then there's pathetic attempt on 180 (more like 135), bunnyhop-manual, and chest cam.

middle aged guy urban riding from Katz on Vimeo.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Thanks for the pointer! I'll try that this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Yup!

mtbr member
    Killswitch wheels are SunRingle inferno rims and Hope evo hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    53, and I love to Freeride and DH. The drops and gap jumps aren't huge but fun for me, makes my heart race, YEAH. It's all about the fun factor.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    jumps off small structures

wow !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the pointer! I'll try that this afternoon.
    any luck?

Raymond Donald Franklin
    No, haven't had a chance to try it yet. I ended up helping my friend moving some stuff around that afternoon, and I came back to work shortly afterwards. I own and operate an 18-wheeler, so I've been away from home since. I have a beater DJ bike strapped to my trailer, but it's a little too cold to ride (for a wussy middle-aged Californian) here in Missouri.

I'm scheduled to arrive home around Feb 7th. I'll post a video if I make any progress.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast