mtbr member

another what gearing and fork thread please help

I am putting together my first single speed dj/urban bike. It is an Identiti Dr. Jeykll. 26" wheels I was wonder what is a good street and dj trails gearing I have a 12t and 13t rear cogs and choice of 26t, 28t, 30, and 33t front rings on Diety 170mm cranks.
    also was wondering what fork would work best. 09 Argyle 409 or 318, 08 Argyle 409 or 08 Pike 426 with coil, u-turn down to 95mm and heavy spring installed.
    thanks in advance.

dirt rules
    Do you want quick starts? Or easy top end? Do you hit stuff FAST, or dink around?
    How strong are your legs? 26/12 would be a good all-around gear with plenty of torque.... I run 28/12, but most people think it's too tall.

Meh.
    No real difference between 08 and 09 Argyles. Choose whatever is cheap, has the color you want, and has a warranty. The Pike is a nice fork. But you'll need the x-firm spring for sure. Or get the x-firm spring for a Duke fork. This will let you go between 65 and 110mm (IIRC). What frame is it going on? Some frames may not have adequate downtube clearance for the external Floodgate knob on the Pike.

I run a 28/13 and I like it. That puts me at 56 gear inches which is pretty good. 26/12 is pretty close to that, it's a little bit higher. A 12t cog will need very thin cassette spacers though. And the chain will likely still run a groove into the spacers. I think a good place to start would be 55. (front divided by rear times wheel size).

mtbr member
    i have it at 28/13 now but it is not totally finished so I do not know how it will be i was thinking it maybe too easy to pedal. so I was thinking 28/12 but the guys at Black market suggested 28/13 or they run 26/12. I have a gussett double six spacer set so it has pleanty of clearance for a wide base 12t cog.
    Now i want to be able to sprint but when i ride urban i dont want to die spinning a super high cadence to get any where.
    I have the pike already but was thinking an Argyle would be better a couple of my friends have the 302 and riding their bikes it feels much nicer then my pike even though i have the firm spring. I can get a good deal on the 318 and the 08 409 but how are the air shocks? I ride mostly coil except for a marz corsair wc on my ss xc bike.

Meh.
    Do you have the firm or x-firm? You can get a little more bottoming resistance with the Duke x-firm spring. And it can lower further.

The air spring is pretty reliable.

26/12 won't be too different from 28/13. I think 28/13 is a good middle ground.

mtbr member
    actually i entered the ratios into a gearing program and came up with
    28/13=57.0 gear inches with 60 cadence tops out at 10.2mph 14.9ft per sec

26/12=57.3 gear inches with 60 cadence tops out at 10.2mph 15ft per sec

so they are real close

now 28/12=61.7 gear inches with 60 cadence tops out at 11mph 16.2ft per sec

i only have the firm but i liked the feel of my friends 302 argyles, rode 2 different bikes with it. I have the money for the 409 or the 318 just trying to decide what I am better off with. I am going to sell the pike with the stock and heavy springs and the poplock conversion and control. Not really a fan of it anyway
    Last edited by quickneonrt; 03-28-2009 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    it sounds dumb but i really like the purple of the 409 but sketchy about it being air.

Meh.
    The calculator must be using 26.5 inches or something for the diameter. I used 26. Obviously there will be some variation with tire sizes having different profiles.

mtbr member
    i used a 26x2.35 tire size since that was the closest to the avg. urban/dj tire that the program has

mtbr member
    do you have any experience with the Argyles?

Meh.
    Different 2.35 tires can still have different sidewall heights and profiles. And that's further affected by the width of the rim.

Yes. I do have experience with Argyles. As I said, the air is plenty reliable. In the long run, it will require a bit more service than a coil. But if you have any sort of mechanical inclination, it's quite easy. But I would not say the quality is much different than a Pike. I have an x-firm spring in my Pike and weigh 165 pounds. It works fine for me. I did have a firm, and even at 140, it was too mushy. The air models (Argyle or Pike) do offer more tuning and adjustment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Different 2.35 tires can still have different sidewall heights and profiles. And that's further affected by the width of the rim.

Yes. I do have experience with Argyles. As I said, the air is plenty reliable. In the long run, it will require a bit more service than a coil. But if you have any sort of mechanical inclination, it's quite easy. But I would not say the quality is much different than a Pike. I have an x-firm spring in my Pike and weigh 165 pounds. It works fine for me. I did have a firm, and even at 140, it was too mushy. The air models (Argyle or Pike) do offer more tuning and adjustment.

What kind of servicing do the air forks need over the coil. My main experience has always been with Marzocchi. wich are pretty much set and forget, change the oil once a season on my 888's and my 66's i even had and older z4 air that i beat the snot out of with no problems.
    Thanks for the help.

Meh.
    Coil forks don't have to worry about leaking air. There are more seals that will eventually need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Coil forks don't have to worry about leaking air. There are more seals that will eventually need to be replaced.
    last question hate to bother you but i would like to decide what i am doing today. How often do the seals need replacement on the RS air forks, round about? I know the older boxxers used to blowup all the time i think it was pre 06 before the solio cartridges but even those when the first came out had a problem with sticking down.

Meh.
    Solio? No such thing.

Boxxers used to have hydracoil damping (crap). Then they went to Motion Control. They have always been coil sprung. Then they came out with the World Cup version which is air sprung. Hardcore DH racers will service their WCs once every month or two to keep them performing stiction free and at the best. This may just constitute a lube and oil change. But I have never seen or heard of a Boxxer WC stuck down. I have heard of Totem 2-steps doing that with some frequency.

I've had and worked on several air sprung Argyles. I have not had to change the seals. I also had a dual air Pike that I picked up used. Never had the seals changed, and I never did. If you treat your equipment like crap and never ever service it, then you may end up changing the seals sooner. The Rockshox manual is usually pretty specific about the type of servicing that is needed and at what intervals. You'll likely occasionally need to drip some oil into the air chambers to keep those seals lubricated. The semi-bath oil will need to be changed from time to time. As will the damper oil.

Solo Air just has a self adjusting negative air chamber. The Dual Air can adjust both chambers independently. The sticking down was more of a Fox issue. It didn't happen too frequently with Rockshox (except for the Totem 2-step). It was pretty easy to fix anyways. It was either a bad o-ring or an improperly seated/specced one. Just relieve the pressure and lube and install a new o-ring. Those that got theirs working have been happy with it. But Rockshox has pulled the 2-step until they can sort out the issues.

If you're so afraid of air, then get a coil. But a coil Argyle won't ride much differently than your Pike. It just has some beefed bits.

That said, I've had a coil Pike since 2004. Still on the original seals and damper. It works fine. No creaky crown. Nothing wrong.

mtbr member
    so there really is no reason to be sketchy about the 409. I can do easy maintence i was affraid they needed new seals frequently, but i always wipe down the stanchions after a ride and lube the sealse of my forks to keep them in good shape. the Pike just seems more of an all mountain or 4x fork and it is still too soft with the heavy spring. I was suprise when I rode my buddies 302's and they only have rebound adj and they felt so much better. I just figured the 409 would give me more adjustability but was unshure how durable they were. Didn't they have alot of problems first year they came out thats why i was a little leary. That and my steerer on my Pike is a little too short for my new frame, it is alum with a tall and beefy headtube but on my mob it fit fine and had spacers to spare but it just scratches the down tube on the mob. thank you for taking the time to help me out. I was originally going to go with a Marz. 4x wc but they are insanely priced. the RS are pretty reasonable.

Meh.
    Argyles ship stock with an x-firm spring. As I said, there's a big difference between firm and x-firm.

I did not know of any issues with the Argyle when it came out.

mtbr member
    Argyles ship stock with an x-firm spring. As I said, there's a big difference between firm and x-firm.

I did not know of any issues with the Argyle when it came out.
    I ordered the x-firm spring and a Race Face Diablous D2 stem for shorter stack height. Less expensive to go that route. And hopefully I can get it to safely fit on the new frame. I like having the steel steerer tube on my pike as opposed to the alum on the argyles. If I am still not happy with the fork I will get the 409 Argyle.

In 07 when the Argyle came out the air cartridges were blowing up RS repaired them and they changed the design so suposedly the later 07s 08s and 09s are fine