mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Another what dj/bmx bike???

Hello all, I'm in the early stages of searching for a dj/bmx bike. I'm new to bmx/dj mixing it with my XC and road riding. Basically I want a single bike, that can be a decent all around bike (dj/street/trail, etc...). My budget is anything $400 or under, but I may be able to stretch a little higher

I'm 6'4" so I've been eying 24" bikes. I've got my eye on the following

DK Cygnus 24 http://www.dkbicycles.com/completes....us24/main.html

Eastern Traildigger 24 http://www.easternbikes.com/products/completes/34

I'd prefer to buy from my lbs, which is a Haro, Eastern, Redline dealer, but the DK appears like a good deal, so I would be willing to order from danscomp.com or the like. Thanks for any advice

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    When I was looking for a great all around bike I found that their isn't one If you get a bike that is XC then its not that good with DJ, and so on. I just got a Giant STP 26" it's a great bike. and I found its the closet thing I can use all around.

I like the Eastern.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    are you set on a 24? or is that just whats in your price range? you should check out the traildigger 26". my lbs has them for around $400. i sat on it and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. definatley a good beginner bike.
    I don't have a funny sig yet.

mtbr member
    Definitely get an eastern, i road the nightrain and damn that thing seemed smooth
    Bikes

~2007 Giant STP SS~
    -Rocky Mountain Element 10-

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In that price range the 24 or 26 Traildiggers will not dissapoint. Some may warn you against the hi-ten steel but many ride it and without issue. Eastern gets my vote

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i think the easterns have cromo tt and dt

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I went and road both the 24" and 26" Traildiggers at my local shop. They rode pretty well from my limited experience with bmx bikes. I think I've decided on the Eastern Traildigger, but I'm debating on the 24" or 26". The 26" obviously fit me a bit better (in terms of my height), but the 24" was easier to bunnyhop and throw around. However, I still want a bike that will be a decent "urban" bike as well. It will be the bike I ride around on campus, so it's time will probably be about 50/50 trail/dj vs. urban. I understand there is no one great "do-it-all" bike, but from what I understand the 24" would be better for "urban"? I wouldn't be too interested in tricks per say (I'd like to learn a few), but I love riding stuff with speed, jumps, and good flow.

So, to extend my question, should I go with the 24" or 26"??? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the 24 would definatley feel better doing "urban". or park riding. but i've seen people tear up skateparks on 26's. neither one is going to be that great riding riding regular mountain bike trails because they are rigid and based off of bmx bikes. as far a dj'ing goes thats just a preferenece thing. the 26 will smooth thing out a little, but the 24 would be a little easier to throw around. good luck and post up picks when you get it!

P.S. if you go with the 26 please get the chrome and green one. that thing is so sexy!!!!

mtbr member
    well the difference between getting a 24 and a 26 seems similar to the difficult decision of buying either a 26 or 29 they both have their pros and cons but you need to decide what fits you better. Most of the time people who are larger would obviously like a larger bike but if you are smaller you could probably roll with the 24.
    Bikes

~2007 Giant STP SS~
    -Rocky Mountain Element 10-

Bikes Rule
    The 24 vs 26 question is a good one. I built a Mob and truly love it. I recently decided I wanted something a bit smaller to ride park/urban on and built up a USB Molly. I rode the Molly twice last week at the indoor park and it is a world of difference.

First off anything involving spinning the bike is extremely easier on a 24". My first allyoop I nearly fell off the bike from over rotating. It took me about a 1/2 hour to get used to the smaller bike. I purposely built it very similar with bar height and width to minimize the differences. The bikes also weigh nearly the same with the Molly a 1/2 pound lighter.

This morning I hit the park again on my 26" and I immediately noticed how much more effort is required to ride it. It really is tougher to hit the smaller quarters but other than that it is just a bit more work on the 26". I will definately use the Mob on outdoor DJ and keep the Molly for the park stuff.

Either way you will love it. For your needs and described riding, I would personally get a 24".

Allday Haro
    Eastern is not a bad choice.