mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Am I to big for a DJ Bike?

Hello,

I'm 6'3" and 295 Pounds is there any DJ bike I can ride that will fit okay and not break? I have a low end k2 29er that I bought a few months back and while i enjoy it I used to ride bmx when I was youunge and constantly want to pedal standing up and am only doing street riding because there is no trails near me. there is a bmx track and some dirt jumps close and I think I would have a lot more fun on a DJ I'm just worried I'll break it because of my size. I would like to keep my buget around the $700-900 dollar range.

Any help/advice is apperciated.

Adam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1533clydesdale View Post
    Hello,

I'm 6'3" and 295 Pounds is there any DJ bike I can ride that will fit okay and not break? I have a low end k2 29er that I bought a few months back and while i enjoy it I used to ride bmx when I was youunge and constantly want to pedal standing up and am only doing street riding because there is no trails near me. there is a bmx track and some dirt jumps close and I think I would have a lot more fun on a DJ I'm just worried I'll break it because of my size. I would like to keep my buget around the $700-900 dollar range.

Any help/advice is apperciated.

Adam
    No, not at all. A friend of mine is about 6'4" former football player, probably was close to your weight but has lost like 40 pounds just from riding and digging.

He rides a Transition Trail or Park 23" top tube. It has a 100mm Marzocchi DJ 1 fork I believe. The bike feels awesome.

And actually another guy from our trails lost like 50 pounds after getting a DJ bike just to crank around xc trails as cross training for Bmx racing. DO IT !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks like the transition bikes are a little out of my price range any other DJ bikes you can recommend for a guy my size I'm trying to stay under $900.00

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    ns has a few. im 6'2 and 260lbs. i have one of their older frames from 08 and i was running a 100mm fork but dropped to a rigid with 3" bars. great fit and plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Looks like the transition bikes are a little out of my price range any other DJ bikes you can recommend for a guy my size I'm trying to stay under $900.00
    If you want a bargain, the best deal is always craigslist. Since you want a burly bike, you're actually in luck, because the mid-2000's had a lot of "overbuilt" bikes, in the sense that they were building for strength rather than weight-saving. (The same was true for mid-school bmx bikes). So actually, if you found a mid 2000's Specialized P bike in size Large, of mid 00's Giant STP, Kona Stuff/Shred, etc. you could probably pick one up for around $350 to $650.

Or even a 2006-2010 . . . bike could go for a good deal.

Like this:
    Specialized p.1 dirt jumper This is one of those 24" rear wheel, 26" front... Not the coolest setup any more, but I've ridden one and it's not bad. The small rear wheel definitely helps with pulling up with long chainstays. (Later DJ bikes just squeezed the 26" wheel into a shorter rear triangle).

Or this:
    Black Market 26" Dirt Jumper

Even if it was a shorter frame than you want, you could run a 70mm stem and that adds almost an inch of room. I run a 70mm Race Face DH stem on my old DK Xenia (22" top tube) and it feels good... especially for more free-ride ish riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cmc4130,

Thanks a lot for the advice there are a few DJ bikes in my area well within my price range. I found a kona scap, a couple P1's, a P3, an atomlab pimp dj, and a 2010 Norco 125 hardtail. Is there any warning signs/red flags to look for when I look at these? the P1's are $350, the atomlab is $450 and the Norco is $800 but comes with 24" and 26" wheel and tire sets. Thanks again gor the help

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cmc4130,

Thanks a lot for the advice there are a few DJ bikes in my area well within my price range. I found a kona scap, a couple P1's, a P3, an atomlab pimp dj, and a 2010 Norco 125 hardtail. Is there any warning signs/red flags to look for when I look at these? the P1's are $350, the atomlab is $450 and the Norco is $800 but comes with 24" and 26" wheel and tire sets. Thanks again gor the help
    also the kona is $450 and the p3 is $350

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 340lb and I ride a Long sized Giant STP, and it fits me perfectly. That thing is bombproof, and can be had for pretty cheaply these days.

My advice is make sure your wheels are strong. I was breaking 2 or 3 spokes a day when I first got the bike until I sucked it up and got my wheels re-built with DT Swiss Spokes by a well known professional. Haven't had a problem since!