Thread: Abbubacas

mtbr member

Abbubacas

I know ive spelt it wrong, but im jsut starting to get them dialed, and theyre starting to take shape, only thing is i cant ride fakie and revert, any tips on how to do this or is it just a matter of dedication and practice?

apreciate any opinions
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    Devide it into 2 parts -
    Ride reverse - Find a slight uphill road. Go slow until your bike stops, and starts going rearwards. Point your look 30 ft. forward. Your bike will start going reverse. Once you're descending in reverse, use the rear brake and stop.
    After getting used to it, the 2nd drill is looking either left or right, and pointing your handle bar to the opposite direction while pressing lightly on the rear brake.
    Once you're used to that, the rest will go quite naturally.

Of course there are sites which can give you more detailed explanations.

Good luck

mtbr member
    thats pretty much egsactly what i was after, i dont want a step by step tutorial with enough detail to write a novel, cus im not that retarded, just ahving a bit of trouble getting started, thanks alot yules
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    i find it much easier to hit your front brake and roll back, instead of going up a hill and waiting to roll back. You will sometimes lose your balance if you use a hill. Anyways, once you get your rollback, you'll be set. One question... who the hell invented the word "abubaca"? friggen 4 sylables. I just call it "boobyca"

dirt rules
    You can use brakes, and/or pedal pressure to facilitate the turn. It will take you a while to get the feel for it, but once you do, it will be easy.

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    i used to be able to back pedal on a bmx but for some reason i cant on a geared mtb. is it easier to backpedal with lower or higher gearing?

mtbr member
    thanks to every one who has thrown their opinions in, they are all respected and will be tried out. And i agree the name is ridiculous(thats quite hard to spell too!)
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I learned to ride fakie by having my front wheel uphill on a slight incline and kicking myself backwards with my feet. Once I could coast for a little bit that way I worked on putting my feet on the pedals. I also for a while had a BMX with the drivetrain on the wrong side, that I'd ride around the neighborhood backwards on.

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    One question... who the hell invented the word "abubaca"?
    Invented the word and the trick actually, Ron Wilkerson former Haro Freestyle BMXer, currently owner of 2-Hip Bikes.

Edit....
    Researched more. Found a site that says some guy named George Conjame invented the Abubaca. Till this point I always under the impression that Ron invented it, but he apparently just named it and was the first to take it to the vert ramp. The trick was named after a character the Gary Coleman was playing on the show Different Strokes. Abubaca is an African word for chief. It was the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    friggen 4 sylables. I just call it "boobyca"
    So you drop one syllable? Lame.
    Last edited by ihatemybike; 08-28-2006 at 05:28 AM.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRick
    thanks to every one who has thrown their opinions in, they are all respected and will be tried out. And i agree the name is ridiculous(thats quite hard to spell too!)
    a few more lil tips...once you start rolling back, pedal backwards with your azz over the back tire, at the moment you want to turn it around grab a whole fistful of rear brake, turn your bars and shift your weight to neutral over the top tube. you'll be shocked at how easy it is once you find the pviot point and you'll be doing half cabs out before you know it. .
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Crusty cyclist
    I used to be able to do them fairly easily, but for some reason i've started sucking at them. now I can get them like every third try. What I have problems with is getting all the way back around. Is it because I"m doing them brakeless now?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by americanethics
    I used to be able to do them fairly easily, but for some reason i've started sucking at them. now I can get them like every third try. What I have problems with is getting all the way back around. Is it because I"m doing them brakeless now?
    brakeless is a beyotch! I've tried it that way just to mess with it and found its really really tough (then you watch Anson and it makes you wanna be sick!). Im sure that's why you are finding it tough.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Crusty cyclist
    well I'll have to try it with the brakes again and see how that goes. Thanks

dirt rules
    It's timing... your cranks have to be in the right position, so you can get a real good pedal forward as you swing back around.